Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Musky and Pike rods for kids

Message Subject: Musky and Pike rods for kids
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/20/2012 8:43 PM (#534081)
Subject: Musky and Pike rods for kids

I was hoping for a little help on this one... I want to make a rod for kids 8yrs to about 13yrs old. I know this will not be a big seller but I do not see any good options for kids who want to start fishing. So, if any of you have any good suggestions please let me know. Here is what I was thinking:

-Length: 5.75' or 6'
-Blank: Same as my current rod lines
-Power: M to MH. Something to throw up to 5oz lures (0.5-5oz)
-# of guides: 6 and a tip top
-Guide type: all metal (So they can really be rough with it but not have to worry about breaking the inserts)
-Reel seat: I would stay with a Fuji
-Price: I will try to stay under $70
-Handle diameter: Between 0.8" and 1"
-Handle length: 13"

For those of you who have kids what do you think OR at the end of the day do you just buy a small bass rod for your kids and take them fishing?
James
Posted 1/20/2012 8:57 PM (#534085 - in reply to #534081)
Subject: RE: Musky and Pike rods for kids

My buddy has a 7 year old, started casting for muskies last fall. He is using a 7'6" All Star, I think it was a flippin' stick. Doesn't have many problems casting, figure 8 is another story, he just isn't tall enough. Can't wait to see him hook one though!
bowhunter29
Posted 1/20/2012 9:04 PM (#534087 - in reply to #534081)
Subject: Re: Musky and Pike rods for kids

James,

I'd say stick with a 6-7' stick. My 4 year old daughter uses a 6' rod for bluegills...not exactly the same but she can handle the rod fine. A 1" grip should work well also. Sounds like you're on the right track.

jeremy
catchandrelease
Posted 1/21/2012 12:25 AM (#534099 - in reply to #534081)

I think the biggest concern when making a rod for kids is rod weight. In your case I don't think this will be a factor as your 9' telescoping rods are lighter than most rods on the market and the kids rods will be significantly shorter and not have the longer, thicker handles which add most of the weight.

If I were in your position I would market a rod for "older kids" (ages 10 to 13) and make a 7'2" to 7'6".
Here's why:
1) At this age, kids will be more capable of handling their rod and lures, and they'll want a longer rod.
2) A rod of this length will not be outgrown. Many people (including myself) use 7'6" rods on a regular basis, so this will be a good rod to get them started, but it can stay in their rotation for years to come.
3) Tying into that, there will be plenty of adults that would be interested in purchasing a 7'6" for themselves, which will boost sales. The only thing that would prevent adults from buying this rod would be handle length, components, and rod action, so there would have to be some give-and-take in that regard.

I like the idea of a 6' rod, but I feel making a rod that would suit everyone would be a better place to start. Personally, I think $70 is a lot of money to spend on a rod for an 8 year old. If I was the parent of an 8 year old I would be going the cheap-bass-rod-route. When the kid has matured after a few years then I would make the move to a legit musky rod, and I would be looking at one in the 7'2" to 7'6" range.
hooked
Posted 1/21/2012 1:54 PM (#534156 - in reply to #534081)

How about a spinning rod version?
thotovec
Posted 1/21/2012 8:49 PM (#534195 - in reply to #534081)

Definiately a need for such a rod at my house. I have a 5 year old that is addicted...he hooked his first Musky off the dock when he was 2 (with a mister twister), but the fish (24"?) broke the line! I ended up getting old st croix 5'9" rods and taught him how to work a baitcaster (abu 5600). The problem with the st croix is it was a jerkbait rod and seems too stiff for him...makes casting harder becuase it doesn't load. I'm thinking of switching him to one of my musky jig rods that has a softer tip (6'6" .5 oz - 1.5oz). Should help prevent slack in the line when he does hook one too. I like the shorter rods for my young guys - keeps them from hooking me!
Sometimes he lets me fish from the front deck!
Chain Gang
Posted 1/21/2012 9:26 PM (#534203 - in reply to #534195)

when i was that age my dad got me a 6'6"st croix and i was able to handle it just fine. Looking back it seemed like it was a broom handle being so short and such a heavy action. I would say even a 7 foot rod for kids that age. I would go with a medium heavy action to throw small bucktails and top raider.
catchandrelease
Posted 1/21/2012 9:47 PM (#534211 - in reply to #534195)

thotovec - 1/21/2012 9:49 PM

Definiately a need for such a rod at my house. I have a 5 year old that is addicted...he hooked his first Musky off the dock when he was 2 (with a mister twister), but the fish (24"?) broke the line! I ended up getting old st croix 5'9" rods and taught him how to work a baitcaster (abu 5600). The problem with the st croix is it was a jerkbait rod and seems too stiff for him...makes casting harder becuase it doesn't load. I'm thinking of switching him to one of my musky jig rods that has a softer tip (6'6" .5 oz - 1.5oz). Should help prevent slack in the line when he does hook one too. I like the shorter rods for my young guys - keeps them from hooking me!
Sometimes he lets me fish from the front deck!

Very impressive! I know I could have never used a baitcaster when I was 5. At that rate he'll be guiding me someday.
fishingprovy
Posted 1/22/2012 9:03 AM (#534262 - in reply to #534081)

Jim,
what an awesome idea, i have been building shorter rods for my daughter for years , she is on the small side even at 18, she is only 5 foot and 95 lbs ( blue twisted steel ) as she says , she use's 2 different rods now , a 6'3" and a 7'2" both medium hvy and split grips , and i have avid 250 reels and she handles all the baits she likes to throw. Usally she's using mepp's, small jerks . minnow baits and all the topwaters she likes. can't wait to see what you come up with, I bet they will be a big seller and not just for kids.
CU301DSV
Posted 1/22/2012 9:39 AM (#534270 - in reply to #534081)

My oldest is 11 and last year he got a 6'8" MH St.Croix Avid for Christmas with an Abu Garcia C3. I had him using it last summer just fine from the paddle boat. No fish yet on it but he's eager and excited. Not a single backlash! As everyone said the rod needs to be light and I can't see anything too short but definitely not longer than 7'. This is all also going to be relevant to the kids ability and his/her size ( there's kids out there my oldest's age that are twice his size! A kid like that will probably feel more comfortable if handed a longer rod ).
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/22/2012 9:44 AM (#534272 - in reply to #534270)

Thanks guys! I think a lot of this project is rod power and handle length and cork diameter. Better loading and less backlashes as well as a comfortable rod to handle will drastically increase the enjoyment for a kid. My estimation is that this rod will not weigh more than 7oz too so that will really help too. Well, I am writing all of this down and still have to go visit Bass Pro to let my little girl and boy play with rods and determine handle diameter, length ,etc. Good kids day Thanks again for all of the input!
Thanks,
James
IM Musky Time
Posted 1/22/2012 4:35 PM (#534323 - in reply to #534081)

Great idea to fill a niche, James. I will definitely make the investment for my kids when you get the rods out. If you need help testing some prototypes, Danny Lazzeroni's kids derby might be a good place to get some feedback.
edalz
Posted 1/22/2012 7:12 PM (#534356 - in reply to #534081)

Think about a synthetic cork for the handle. I had Thorne make my 9 year old a rod and they had a synthetic cork they used. The rod has a toro 51 on it and if dropped in the water it floats.
Posted 1/25/2012 11:19 AM (#534774 - in reply to #534081)

a year ago i picked up a 6'-9" shakespeare agilty musky rod for my son, it was on sale for about $20 bucks, he's 9 and it fits him well, and he shouldn't grow out of it anytime soon, matched with a low profile bass reel its amazingly light and has a smaller handle than my other rods i believe its only rated for 2 or 3oz but it cast nomal sized bulldogs great, also some times i fish with a woman that is 5'-2" maybe 110lbs and it's her go to rod, really i feel its the perfect kids/small ladies rod, if you can find one to look at, i'd model your rod off of it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)