Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fish lakes with lots of boat traffic and docks

Message Subject: Fish lakes with lots of boat traffic and docks
Dirt1123
Posted 8/19/2011 5:29 PM (#512617)
Subject: Fish lakes with lots of boat traffic and docks

I fish a lake that is primarily for boating, tubing, jet skiing and such. There are weeds but no down trees, and all of the shoreline has rocks and docks. Im having trouble figuring out how to fish the lake because there arent really any spots that seem that they will hold muskie, but there are muskies including some 50". there is one 100 yard stretch that I always see fish in but that is the only place i see them. is it normal for a lake like this to have one area that is concentrated with muskies and there arent many in the rest of the lake. the lake is about 700 acres. help por favor gracias
leech lake strain
Posted 8/19/2011 6:15 PM (#512622 - in reply to #512617)
Subject: Re: Fish lakes with lots of boat traffic and docks

if there are as many boaters and such out there like you say that could be a big reason why you dont see the fish in more areas than that, try to fish it at night when things have quited down and maybe you can get some to eat!
Lunge Master
Posted 8/19/2011 8:14 PM (#512631 - in reply to #512617)

What lls said, fish at night. I used to live on a fairly small lake like that (550 acres) that could become an absolute zoo on summer afternoons, especially weekends. The entire lake is ringed with cottages and it seems the whole seasonal population is in full bore party mode, not many of them fish at all. Seriously there are at times so many people on the water it is fairly dangerous just being out there. Horsepower, alcohol and crowded conditions, not good.
The upside was fishing at night was generally good and weekday mornings I could have the whole lake to myself.
Fortunately the jet skis, drunks and endless parade of party barges disappear after Labor Day.
CASTING55
Posted 8/19/2011 10:53 PM (#512648 - in reply to #512631)

sounds like the best time to day fish is when it`s raining,bad weather keeps pleasure boaters off the water,or wait til the colder months if you can`t night fish it or early morning fish.
Outfirstsuicidebaits
Posted 8/20/2011 1:14 AM (#512658 - in reply to #512648)

Even though pleasure boaters suck don't leave out open water. Look for pods of bait fish on your sonar and you should find muskies around.
Vince Weirick
Posted 8/20/2011 10:11 AM (#512682 - in reply to #512617)

You might want to give short line trolling a try. If there is that much boat traffic, the fish might be used to it. Muskies will follow boats in the propwash waiting for bait to get mixed up in it.
Ranger
Posted 8/28/2011 5:49 PM (#514075 - in reply to #512617)

Target the suspendos in open water.

Picture the lake in three concentric rings, sorta like an eyeball. Troll the middle third of the lake hard, rake that water. Start your lure depth just above the average depth of pods of suspended baitfish you'll see on your finder. Watch the water around you to see if baitfish are really high, you'll see them playing the surface; if so then be sure to run a high bait as well as deeper baits. Maybe start by doing long S turns on the line between the pleasure boaters and the center of the lake. You'll get the in the way a bit and pee them off but the disturbance those boats make create good feeding conditions for predators.

If there's too much debris on the surface to troll then target suspendos with jigs and maybe live bait right down next to the boat.

Hope that helps.
djwilliams
Posted 8/28/2011 7:18 PM (#514086 - in reply to #512617)

1. Look for those low docks that are right on the water. I'd be hitting those right after sunup.
2. I'd be fishing the lake at night with topwaters.
3. I'd be trolling deeper crankbaits in that lake in the fall and in the summer.
jerryb
Posted 9/6/2011 3:43 PM (#515307 - in reply to #512617)
Subject: RE: Fish lakes with lots of boat traffic and docks

It's very possible you have found the most productive area in this 700 acres lake, but it's difficult to believe that this very small 100 yard stretch is the "only" area the fish are using. The muskie, walleye, pike, stripper, and trout ect are all nomadic, (not the lm bass) and they will roam the basin. When they get active they will use the structure (bottom of the lake that is "different" from the surrounding area) in that area. It's not the "down trees" that make a spot productive but the structure or feature that leads the fish from the deep water to the shallows. A down tree or weedline/ cover or a break on a breakline may hold fish a little longer but again it's what lead them to a break that makes it productive, others wise every down tree, every weedbed or rock pile would hold fish.
esox23
Posted 9/6/2011 4:37 PM (#515322 - in reply to #515307)

Sounds like Owasso, I'd leave it be and go somewhere else.
cast10K
Posted 9/7/2011 12:24 PM (#515457 - in reply to #515322)

If you mean Owasso in the metro, it's not anywhere near 700 acres. But you're right, it's a zoo and there is one decent spot on that lake.
Dirt1123
Posted 9/7/2011 4:34 PM (#515505 - in reply to #512617)

no thats not the lake
Missouri Wayne
Posted 9/7/2011 5:02 PM (#515508 - in reply to #512617)

Pound the docks during the daytime. Doesn't matter if they set in a foot of water, fish will hold under them.
BenR
Posted 9/7/2011 5:05 PM (#515510 - in reply to #512617)

Lakes with lots of pressure and boaters always sent me to the slop. Start on the inside edges and just work the holes in the weeds. Some pretty amazing strikes. BR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)