Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Drag settings for rubber baits

Message Subject: Drag settings for rubber baits
curleytail
Posted 8/15/2008 12:38 PM (#331588)
Subject: Drag settings for rubber baits

Do any of you find it necessary to really crank your drag down when using the big rubber like the Curly Sue, Super Ds, or Bulldawgs? I always fished with my drag at an intermediate to somewhat light setting. I like it set so even a mid to upper 30 inch fish can take just a bit of line on a hard run or boatside dive. I lost VERY FEW fish like this.

But, a while ago I went on a streak losing fish on the rubber baits. Most were only on for just a bit and simply came off. Two that just plain came off right away had teeth marks in the very head of the bait, even in front of the front hook.

Do you need to REALLY lock down the drag on these baits and hammer the hooks home hard, or was it just a case of fish not taking the baits very well for a day or two?

curleytail

Magruter
Posted 8/15/2008 12:42 PM (#331590 - in reply to #331588)
Subject: Re: Drag settings for rubber baits

I've been getting into the habit of tossing my thumb on the spool during a hook set. Still not sure if it's a good habit, but I get a pretty solid hook set in.
guts
Posted 8/15/2008 12:46 PM (#331591 - in reply to #331588)

i lock my drag down for all baits and free spool once they get to boat side
Troyz.
Posted 8/15/2008 2:30 PM (#331607 - in reply to #331591)

Locker her down for all baits, free spool and back drag off on smaller fish. One thing with rubber baits, is I always upsize hooks, make sure you are getting hooks outside the body profile. Also like longer rods with strong backbone to drive them home.

Troyz
Steve Jonesi
Posted 8/15/2008 3:35 PM (#331616 - in reply to #331588)

Lock down all the time. Long rods w/ a tip will help. Steve
MIKE HULBERT
Posted 8/15/2008 4:39 PM (#331622 - in reply to #331588)
Subject: RE: Drag settings for rubber baits

Drags are LOCKED down as tight as they go on all baits. Let the long whippy tip rod to the work and then free spool them with your thumb on the spool when needed

MIKE HULBERT
Derrys
Posted 8/15/2008 4:56 PM (#331623 - in reply to #331588)

I keep the drag tight on ALL lures until the fish is hooked, then I back it down a little. Of course I free-spool when doing a figure 8, and for a few moments after hooking a fish in a figure 8. For me it works, and luckily I haven't lost a Muskie that I've hooked since 2006. Find what works for you, as I'm sure we all have different opinions. Good luck.
dockboylures
Posted 8/15/2008 4:58 PM (#331624 - in reply to #331588)

Drag is locked down all the way for me. Set the hook as HARD as you can; my drag slips when i set the hook and I have it as tight as it goes.
Mr Musky
Posted 8/15/2008 7:56 PM (#331638 - in reply to #331588)

If locking down the drag is the key to great hook ups then why aren't we doing that while trolling? I personally feel there has to be more give there then just a whippy rod tip But you guides have alot more on the water time then I do so i'll take you recommendations.

Mr Musky
MuskyGary
Posted 8/16/2008 1:15 PM (#331698 - in reply to #331588)

When a musky bites down on a rubber bait; his teeth sink into the olastic and it is almost impossible to move the hooks on the hookset. If he didn't get the hooks on the bite, when he opens his mouth the lure will just fly out. Try this; grip a plastic lure as tight as you can, have a buddy back off thirty feet and set the hook as hard as he can. It won't move any in your hand!
Mr Musky
Posted 8/16/2008 9:41 PM (#331761 - in reply to #331588)

To lock it down makes alot of sense with plastics but I think with other baits there has to be some give there especially with the supebraids, otherwise your just tearing holes.

twells
Posted 8/16/2008 10:12 PM (#331769 - in reply to #331588)

Personally I crank my drags tight for all baits. But I am using all 8ft. rods. If you are using shorter rods i do agree there has to be some give some where and that generally come in the drag even with floro or mono leaders. I ran a stretch years ago looosing fish because of cranked drags and no give. So basicallly if you are using longer rods crank them. If you are using shorter rods back the drags off a touch to hear a slip when you hookset IMO.
Mr Musky
Posted 8/16/2008 10:51 PM (#331783 - in reply to #331588)

I agree 100 % But even with longer rods when a fish hits at boatside are you going to be able to hit freespool with a 30 pounder thrashing?????????????? Im not quite sure.....

MM
Posted 8/17/2008 2:30 PM (#331869 - in reply to #331588)

"If locking down the drag is the key to great hook ups then why aren't we doing that while trolling? I personally feel there has to be more give there then just a whippy rod tip But you guides have alot more on the water time then I do so i'll take you recommendations. "

beacause then your just draging them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)