Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Revo Toro Cleaning

Message Subject: Revo Toro Cleaning
jaultman
Posted 6/4/2014 11:06 AM (#714027)
Subject: Revo Toro Cleaning

For anyone who has cleaned their own Revo Toro and is feeling generous enough to read through this and possibly determine what my issue might be:

I'm feeling kind of dumb - just took apart my backup Revo Toro last night, gave it a thorough cleaning, and put it back together... only to have it functioning worse than before. The issue is that it's now difficult to reel when I have the drag totally tightened down. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the drag washers or the washers (three metal and three carbon matrix) fitting against the main gear. I really think I put them back together correctly, EXCEPT that I might not have the drag washers oriented correctly. Here's what I mean: there are two pairs - each washer in one pair is radially convex and axi-symmetric, while each washer in the other pair is "rolled" or "bowed" along the washer centerline. Anyway, I'm not sure if the washers in a pair should be placed together "belly-to-belly" (concave side of one facing the concave side of the other), "back-to-back" (convex side facing convex side), or "belly-to-back" a.k.a. "spooning".

If anyone can understand what I'm asking... first of all, that's amazing. Secondly, please offer your thoughts. I appreciate it!
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/4/2014 11:21 AM (#714032 - in reply to #714027)
Subject: Re: Revo Toro Cleaning

When this happens I tell guys to start over, take the reel a part and start over.
The 2 large washers go first ( ) then the holder and next the 2 smaller washers ( )
Hope that helps. I get $25.00 a reels to Detail, Tune and Relube any Baitcaster reel. When U get it back it will be smoother then it was new.
jaultman
Posted 6/4/2014 11:36 AM (#714036 - in reply to #714032)

Pikemaster, Thanks a lot! You must be very fast to make money at only $25 per reel. It took me like 1.5 hours to do mine, which was less thorough than what you do I'm sure, and it still doesn't work.

I think what I did was replaced the middle metal washer, the "A-Washer" that fits to the outside of the gear (part number 47 in reel parts diagram) backwards. Found someone else who did the same thing: http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67...

Anyway, I'll try that when I get home. Thanks again for clearing up how the drag washers (called spring washers?) go together. The ( ) image is MUCH better than my "concave-to-concave" description. I did place those in correctly, just screwed up the A-Washer (I think).

I'm just thankful I attempted this on my backup reel first, so I still have my Starter and my 3rd Line reels available.
mnmusky
Posted 6/4/2014 11:38 AM (#714037 - in reply to #714027)

follow the parts blowup diagram if you got it. Just did mine and had the cup washers on the drag mixed up. parts blowup did wonders. If you dont have diagram, pm me, I can scan and email it.
jaultman
Posted 6/4/2014 11:51 AM (#714042 - in reply to #714037)

deleted
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/4/2014 11:51 AM (#714043 - in reply to #714036)

jaultman - 6/4/2014 11:36 AM

Pikemaster, Thanks a lot! You must be very fast to make money at only $25 per reel. It took me like 1.5 hours to do mine, which was less thorough than what you do I'm sure, and it still doesn't work.

I think what I did was replaced the middle metal washer, the "A-Washer" that fits to the outside of the gear (part number 47 in reel parts diagram) backwards. Found someone else who did the same thing: http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=67...

Anyway, I'll try that when I get home. Thanks again for clearing up how the drag washers (called spring washers?) go together. The ( ) image is MUCH better than my "concave-to-concave" description. I did place those in correctly, just screwed up the A-Washer (I think).

I'm just thankful I attempted this on my backup reel first, so I still have my Starter and my 3rd Line reels available.

It takes me 1-2 hours a reel, I run all parts in a Ultra Sonic cleaner for 15 mins and the Bearings run for 30mins, now all parts are very clean and then I'll buff all contact points for smoothest, and use a polar bonding lube and grease, for $25.00 it is a no brainer, plus they are put back the right way !!!!!!
jaultman
Posted 6/4/2014 11:54 AM (#714046 - in reply to #714037)

Do you just mean this diagram? http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/REVO%20TORO...
I used it, so I know I put the parts together in the right order, it's just a matter of whether I put in 47 (the A-Washer) and 48 (the Pressure Washer) with the right orientation.

Thanks!
jaultman
Posted 6/4/2014 11:56 AM (#714048 - in reply to #714043)

PIKEMASTER - 6/4/2014 11:51 AM
plus they are put back the right way !!!!!!

Amen to that!
mnmusky
Posted 6/4/2014 2:26 PM (#714079 - in reply to #714027)

Make sure item 65 is pushing on the sleeve (49) and not the bearing the sleeve goes thru.
mnmusky
Posted 6/4/2014 2:32 PM (#714080 - in reply to #714027)

Sounds like your doing what I did. When drag is applied it is pushing on the bearing and thus make it hard to turn. Flip the curved washer so it is only pressing the inner sleeve and not the bearing. I made them so they were flying saucer shaped. I'm going to do my others tonight to make sure that is right but the one I did today is smooth after flipping bowl washer.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 6/4/2014 2:48 PM (#714082 - in reply to #714080)

mnmusky - 6/4/2014 2:32 PM

Sounds like your doing what I did. When drag is applied it is pushing on the bearing and thus make it hard to turn. Flip the curved washer so it is only pressing the inner sleeve and not the bearing. I made them so they were flying saucer shaped. I'm going to do my others tonight to make sure that is right but the one I did today is smooth after flipping bowl washer.

I have custom brass washers I use for that, each reel may need some and then some reels don't need any spacing, this why U send the reel to a professional like me. LOL
jaultman
Posted 6/5/2014 7:13 AM (#714174 - in reply to #714082)

Just to follow up full-circle:

I had placed the Pressure Washer (not the A Washer with tabs) backwards on the crankshaft. Turned it around, put it all back together, and voila. Works good as new.

Thanks for your help on this guys!
muskie! nut
Posted 6/5/2014 8:11 AM (#714178 - in reply to #714027)

And this ends another chapter from Muskies 1st Productions in As The Reel Handle Turns..................

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)