Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Zalt Lures

Message Subject: Zalt Lures
camo
Posted 3/13/2003 12:44 PM (#63591)
Subject: Zalt Lures

Has anyone purchased or fished a Zalt lure yet? A friend of mine is now the sole North American distributor of the bait. Him and I tested them in a swimming pool recently, and they have a nice "wobble" to them. My understanding is that they catch "huge" pike in Sweden. I am game for anything that will put more "saw bills' in my boat, so I will be throwing a few of these this year. If you are interested in checking them out, go to www.thenethouse.biz, and scroll down to Zalt Lures. If you decide to order one, tell them Camo sent ya!
Ranger
Posted 3/13/2003 3:59 PM (#63610 - in reply to #63591)
Subject: RE: Zalt Lures

Zalts? Never heard of them.
The Handyman
Posted 3/13/2003 4:37 PM (#63613 - in reply to #63591)

Camo, I beleive I just met your buddy at the Rapids boat show last week? DId he have a display? Handy
BTPF
Posted 3/13/2003 5:17 PM (#63617 - in reply to #63591)

Question about Zalt lures. I saw them at the Madison fish expo and they did look sweet. The guy said they were the number one bait in Europe for Huge pike. So I looked up Zalt on google and found their webpage and it says they are made with pride in the USA?

I thought by maybe getting a lure that was made in Europe the muskies
over here would not be "Conditioned" to them but if they are made in the
states Im sure lots of musky guys have some or will have some soon.

Are they made in the USA?

Here is the link where I found them.
http://thenethouse.biz/

BTPF
Posted 3/13/2003 5:20 PM (#63618 - in reply to #63591)

Nevermind guys, I think by what they mean Made with Pride in America they are referring to their nets not the Zalt lures. Zalts are from Europe.

Sorry.

Maybe I will have to pick some now!
ToddM
Posted 3/13/2003 8:02 PM (#63641 - in reply to #63591)

I have some zalts. Let's put it this way. My first 9 days using a zalt, we had action from 60 fish(caught, hooked, followed, smacked, creamed, ect) 30 of those were from the zalt. Good hard twitches with a jerkbait rod and a straight wire leader really makes this lure dance. There will be a lure demo this sunday at the new london show if you can attend.
camo
Posted 3/13/2003 11:37 PM (#63665 - in reply to #63613)

Yep. Were goin to catch some monster crappies on Petenwell monday!
camo
Posted 3/13/2003 11:40 PM (#63666 - in reply to #63618)

No, Zalts and Zams are imported from Sweden.
divani
Posted 3/14/2003 12:49 AM (#63672 - in reply to #63591)

they are Swedish but they are not the number one bait for big pike in the whole of Europe, just Scandinavia.

They seem to excell in cold water like they have in Sweden and Finland (the Baltic Sea) by slowly twitching them, not where I live. But you are better off fishing them like jerkbaits, just like ToddM described, in warmer water.

Luca Cattin
Posted 3/14/2003 2:45 AM (#63673 - in reply to #63591)

I agree. Poor lures in the rest of Europe.
Luca
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/14/2003 12:03 PM (#63722 - in reply to #63591)

Dirk/Luca- Is the reason for the popularity in "Scandanavia" because it's a Swedish lure and easier for people in Scandanavia to get, i.e., more fisherman are using them? I also know there are many pike fisherman in other European countries using them. If European pike fisherman are like North American Pike & Muskie fisherman the majority are hestitant to share their fishing secrets, including hot lures.

Luca- Do you say "poor lure" because of personal preference or is that a general concenus of Pike fisherman in the rest of Europe?  If the answer is it's a general concenus I would be very ineterested in the data that supports that opinion. 

Before I became a hard core Muskie fisherman ( When Muskie season is open-all other fish are bait), I fished almost exclusively for Pike here in North America (35years). With respect to "cold water" versus warm water,  all northern pike preferr cooler water and this drives their location throughout the summer fishing season in their southern range. I would not think that this is much different in Europe. Here in the Mid-Western USA during summer small pike are commonly found in shallower warm water (3 meters or less), but the big girls are almost always found where the water is deeper/cooler, i.e., where trout streams (cold water) enter the main lake or river, or real deep water (10-20 meters), or where fresh water springs are present. These areas are huge big pike maganet's. You might want to try a sinking Zalt to go after those deep fish.

Dirk- I became interested in the Zalt because of some MF message posts that I saw where you and ToddM were responding to qestions & talking about these lures. Needless to say it tweeked my curiosity and I began to investigate Zalts. 

The net result was one of my best friends,  Mike Hofmann of M&H Enterprises wound up with the exclusive  sole distributorship for North America and formed Zalt NAD. Mike is an avid fisherman (Capt. Troll) and is a genuine honest guy. Our aim is to have some fun & hopefully help some other fisherman catch some fish. Well of course we'd like to make some money while doing that, so it's pretty hard to give away these lures. Especially when we have to import them from Sweden.

I received my first Zalt (sample from Peter af Rolen at Zalt AB in Sweden) a 19cm/7.5" in 06 color (Zalt NAD "parrot") sinking model in early October of 2002.  Excitedly, I immediately  took it to a local river. Not wanting to waste time hooking up my boat etc, I decided to try a local bridge. Here in Wisconsin, river bridges get very heavy fishing pressure especially by fisherman whom don't own boats. Having never thrown this lure before I was just really interested in seeing the action. On the 3rd cast a ~40 inch pike smashed the lure and I missed the hook set- I really wasn't fishing-just playing with the lure.

I threw two casts back to the fish & a 20" pike slammed the lure on the second- I was pissed, landed the 20" & tried for ~10 minutes to raise the big girl- no luck. Next, a week later, I took the same lure to a very large local reservoir (Petenwell Flowage) with my son. He got delayed by his job so we only had ~ 2 hrs to fish. Launched the boat & started fishing about 2 km from the launch, ~ 30th cast I had a 37" Muskie absolutely crush the lure ~ 2 meters from the boat, after a short fight she was in the net & released. Did I say I had never fished this impoundment before and we had to quit shortly because of all the stumps & trees- I didn't want to risk damaging my boat running around in the dark on unfamiliar water. I had almost identical experience with my first sample Zam in November 2002. However due to ice & extreme cold it was time to hang up the fishing poles.  Total fishing time w/ Zalt-> ~ 3 hours- missed 40" Pike & caught 20" + 24" & 37" Muskie.

Perhap's I'm a bit biased. But I think the 2003 season here in North America will prove me right- this is a very good fishing lure for not only Pike & Muskies, but other species too, i.e., walleye, salmon, trout, strippers & bass.... We have  heard from a few fisherman ( not including ToddM) who have also been using Zalts for up to 5 years. They all report good results.

For those of you fishing with Zalt's this season. Send us a photo of your big fish, length etc, include some background information and your name and address. We are going to post these on our web site and at the end of season, Jan 1. 2004. (Only fair for you southern guys) we will give the largest fish of each species a $100.00 gift certificate. 

Well Ranger- now he's a funny guy. I had the pleasure of sharing Ranger's boat at the MF Cass Lake outing ( mine was broken + he netted a 44" spotted muskie for me) Great net man! Ranger can probably attest I am a bit strange & obsessed about Muskies and fishing in general- I think our last day fishing together I had a total of 5 lures in the boat. So to the next extreme for 2003- I intend to only fish w/Zalts, maybe a couple of live leeches on a Northland Gumdrop Floater in mid-June for some hog walleye's up in Canada. But the Zalts will get first shot there too.....

Watch for the ESOX Maniac "Yard Sale"/Trade signs here on MF. Easiest way to keep the commitment is to get rid of the other stuff. -

No! Ranger the Stan Durst Purple Jake, Muskie Treat, etc. are not gong to the yard sale, but will be office decorations- maybe they'll get  pulled out sometime in the future for nostalgia's sake.

For those of you have fished with Zalt's, send me an Email & let me know what your thoughts, are, i.e., both good or bad  + be sure to include your secrets about Zalts

Both Mike & I are very serious about giving our customers a quality product that produces more fish in the boat. We value your feed back. Our warranty policy is "if it breaks in normal useage, it gets replaced."  

Hope to see you on the water in 2003.

"All Water is Zalt Water"

Al Warner

Director of Marker Development

ZaltNAD

http://www.thenethouse.biz

Edited by ESOX Maniac 3/25/2003 5:10 PM
Luca Cattin
Posted 3/15/2003 12:44 PM (#63829 - in reply to #63591)

Just personal preference Al. But don’t worry, I’ve open mind.
Having had great information from you and, with many booked pike fishing trips this season, I will try to give a chance to this lure.
Hope Zalt success for me and my clients.

Regards.

Luca
divani
Posted 3/18/2003 7:35 AM (#64071 - in reply to #63591)

Al,

A zalt is popular in Scandinavia because it has been designed in Sweden for fishing for pike in the brakkish coatsal waters. People use it a lot there. The tackle stores are usually crammed with zalts.

We aren't quite so secretive about lures, usually more about where we caught large pike.

But I must say zalts haven't really the hot lure over here. I know dozens of people who use this lure and they all say that in the waters they fish in in The Netherlands and Belgium, there are a lot of other lures that are more suitable and that catch more fish. Why that is, I don't know but it's the truth. These zalts seem to work better in the cool coastal waters in Scandinavia. Over there also, the zalts suspend (salt water is denser), over here they sink. Some even sink fast.

You just can't compare sweden with northern america. There the waters are cool all the time (it's the sea afterall). And we caught pike, even large ones, there in as little as 50cm of water right along the shores. We didn't get anything in deep water. I lost one that was close to 48" in a backbay that was muddy and shallow.

I know Todd did well on the zalts I got him. But I think it is more in the way he fishes them. I mean, there are lots of ways to fish a zalt and many more to be discovered I bet. It is a lure that isn't so much a crankbait as it is a jerkbait with that difference that is has got a built-in wobble.

Al, I'm not argueing that this lure isn't good, not at all. They are a quality product. Sorry if I gave you that impression. It is, and it has been proven a million times before but where I live (and even Luca says the same) they aren't that good as they are in Sweden. We can't compare our fishing situation with yours. It's completely different.

There are many ways to fish a zalt.
- stop&go: crank it back for about 3 feet, then pause. Repeat. Works well in the spring when fishing is tough
- twitch it: it moves up and down, left and right, ... all over the place. Really erratic!
- use short downwards twitches of 6" long to make it glide side to side like a gliding jerkbait
- when fishing in shallow water, hold your rod up and twitch it upwards. Great to start out close to the shore and fish it back to the boat into deeper water where you can change the retrieve style
- fish it like a suick, long pulls. Really wide wobble!

You just need to try for yourself.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)