Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOW near Nestor Falls last week of July and first week of August

Message Subject: LOW near Nestor Falls last week of July and first week of August
whitetailchaser1
Posted 3/16/2014 6:42 PM (#699839)
Subject: LOW near Nestor Falls last week of July and first week of August

We will be staying at Sunset Cove. Looking for anything helpful about where to start for muskies. I have an Alumacraft 175 with Humminbird 998HD SI and a 958 DI with lakemaster chip for LOW. Can find about anything on a map, so I'm looking for areas to start, lure selection that time of year, trolling or casting. Anything will help
Thanks
double J
Posted 3/16/2014 7:18 PM (#699845 - in reply to #699839)
Subject: Re: LOW near Nestor Falls last week of July and first week of August

Sent you a PM
polarkraftdave
Posted 3/16/2014 7:45 PM (#699851 - in reply to #699839)

I`ll be there mid July for the first time also
whitetailchaser1
Posted 3/16/2014 8:41 PM (#699871 - in reply to #699851)

I hear LOTW in July is normally stable weather, that seems to be the key for musky. Just not sure if I should be trolling or casting?
whitetailchaser1
Posted 3/16/2014 9:25 PM (#699890 - in reply to #699871)

anything specific I should be doing. Are the musky in the rocks, weeds, wood. Are they deep or shallow?
Emptynet
Posted 3/16/2014 9:40 PM (#699892 - in reply to #699890)

You have another PM. Get Canadian hydro map #6214 & study it before you go.
Propster
Posted 3/16/2014 9:53 PM (#699894 - in reply to #699839)

You'll want to be casting. Fish will be shallow, sometimes shallower than you think possible. Bucktails, topwater, and twitchbaits will be your mainstays. Spinner baits work well also, and glide (Phantoms) and jerk (Suick) baits may be helpful post frontal. Fish should be near peak metabolism and active, so fish faster and more aggressively than early and late season. But fish spots thoroughly. Get up close and make shorter but more casts to cover a spot. Don't be afraid to have someone throwing topwater all the time. Fish should be more rock than weed oriented but I wouldn't pass up a good weed bed if you can find one. Look for shallow rock flats and jagged rock islands vs smooth rock or those that drop more steeply into deeper water. Points, boulders, reefs, islands all good. Good luck and enjoy your trip. It's (LOTW) a great place for a muskie guy.
whitetailchaser1
Posted 3/17/2014 7:13 PM (#700130 - in reply to #699839)
Subject: RE: LOW near Nestor Falls last week of July and first week of August

Thanks Guys for all the info. I hope to check out the areas you told me about.
If the weather cooperates and the musky gods are willing I hope to put a good musky in the boat. With the graph I should be able to find my way around, but I will order a map for back up. I will keep watching this site for more information. Thanks again
hooknup
Posted 4/30/2014 8:54 PM (#709641 - in reply to #699839)

better take some bulldawgs with you too it will save you more times than not.shallow dawgs and magnum black and orange and a white one are good choices fish the rocks with weed patches near by
Sam Ubl
Posted 5/1/2014 7:40 AM (#709668 - in reply to #699839)

DELETE

Edited by Sam Ubl 5/1/2014 7:42 AM
MuskyMo
Posted 5/1/2014 10:24 AM (#709701 - in reply to #699839)

I was on LOTW last July and hammered them on double 10's. Could not get them to hit on much else, couple on top water. Practice your figure 8's. Over half of our 23 were caught on 8's and numerous others hooked that got off boatside. Speed and color was the key. If you werent burning them you werent catching, and if you didnt have the correct color you could catch but nearly as frequent. In my 17 years on LOTW area, color changes almost every year and sometimes day to day.
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/1/2014 12:41 PM (#709735 - in reply to #699839)

I haven't spent a lot of time near Nestor Falls, but I have 14 years on LOTW. Start fishing shallow. Throwing up to shore. Like someone said above, the fish are shallower than you think possible sometimes.

If we go a few hours without moving fish shallow, then we switch it up and go fish reefs and humps. We see very few people doing this and we almost always see fish out on the reefs.

X2 on practicing your figure 8's. We haven't kept a log, but I would bet that 75% of our fish over the years have been caught on the 8. For whatever reason the LOTW fish don't like to long line!
Matt DeVos
Posted 5/2/2014 7:49 AM (#709867 - in reply to #699839)

X3 on the figure 8's....for us too, in recent years about 75% of summer LOTW muskies are caught in the 8, and the trend seems to be increasing with each year. (85% this past summer). Seems to be getting more and more rare to have a muskie eat a bucktail mid-retrieve. (Something to do with increased fishing pressure? I've been making the trip for 18 years now, and there's definitely a difference now, as compared to then, in terms of numbers of muskie anglers).

This past summer we had a 7-fish day, all on 10's and all 7 triggered in the 8 after multiple revolutions...point being, proper boatside technique can be the single factor that decides a skunk day versus a great day.

Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)