Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Caught in Rocks

Message Subject: Caught in Rocks
tswoboda
Posted 5/4/2012 10:40 AM (#557853)
Subject: Caught in Rocks

So you're fishing a rock point or saddle on LOTW and your buddy (because you would never do such a thing) fires a cast right up to the bank and gets his cowgirl caught in the rocks bad enough that you have to go in right on top of the structure to get it out? Is the spot blown or do you continue fishing like nothing happened?

Reason I asked is because this happened a lot to us last year and I always wondered how it affected the fish using the structure. I'd love for someone like Doug Johnson or people with lots of experience up there to comment on what they typically do in this situation.
clm
Posted 5/4/2012 11:00 AM (#557855 - in reply to #557853)
Subject: Re: Caught in Rocks

tell them to cut their line! haha. i would tell them to wait and make a few casts before going up there.
Musky Brian
Posted 5/4/2012 11:05 AM (#557856 - in reply to #557855)

clm - 5/4/2012 11:00 AM

tell them to cut their line! haha. i would tell them to wait and make a few casts before going up there.

This...depending on the size and confidence in the spot, if it is indeed that good you take a few snipes in the direct area you need to slide up on to make sure there's no active fish there
DonPursch
Posted 5/4/2012 11:09 AM (#557857 - in reply to #557856)

Get a partner that can cast !!!! I'm just kidding do what you gotta do
MACK
Posted 5/4/2012 11:20 AM (#557864 - in reply to #557853)

A little off topic...but....hilarious nonetheless. Similar story happened to my cousin and I several years back while up fishing.

At this point in the trip, we were fishing for panfish to filet for the official end-of-the-week fish fry. We're fishing a hot panfish spot up against a specific stretch of seawall. He's terrible at precision casting. We're working the boat along this stretch of shore, casting up into the shadows of a rather tall seawall. He keeps casting ON TO THE SEAWALL and snagging his line. We'd move the boat in, unhook his line, move the boat back out...those fish were spooked for a few mintues, we'd move on down the seawall to find more active fish and move back and forth as the fish did too.

I kid you not...he got his line snagged on that wall at least three times before I lost my patience and had to read him the riot act to get his act under control and to quit snagging the wall so we wouldn't have to waste so much time moving the boat in that area and back out again, spooking the fish. Things got a bit tense. I, in the front of the boat, manning the trolling motor to navigate us back and forth along that stretch of seawall...turned my back to him and we kept fishing.

Very quiet in the boat now. No one talking. Just hear those random casts being made...the occasional sound of the live-well lid being lifted and a splash from a fish being tossed in the well.

All of a sudden...with my back turned to the crew in the back of the boat.....I receive a gentle tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see my cousin standing there with this sh_t-eatin' grin on his face as if he's holding back the laughter. He looks at me and simply asks these words...and I quote...verbatim: "Have any duct tape?" I respond: "What?" He looks at me and says again: "Have any duct tape." I respond: "What do you need duct tape for?!" He looks at me and says again: "Just....do you have any duct tape?!" And now he's piqued my curiosity...what the heck is going on....and at that moment......he just starts to well up with laughter and he holds up his fishing rod...that is now conveniently in two pieces....not by design.....and not electively.

He had snagged the dang seawall again....and he KNEW better than to tell me he snagged that seawall again as to not tick me off any further than I already was...and he just started yankin' away on his line till the rod snapped into two pieces!!!! LMAO! How I did not hear the rod snap and that commotion...I don't know. I think at that point...I had mentally tuned out the crew in the back of the boat from my own levels of frustration and I was just zoned in on what I was doing that I missed it all.

That ended up being a very comical moment that broke the silence as we all nearly collapsed with tears in our eyes from laughing so hard! Took that busted rod back to the cabin that night...trashed the small end...kept the butt end section of the rod and turned it into one heckuva bottle rocket slinging tool that night around the bon-fire!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread needing to know about disrupting an area of it's fish while retrieving a snagged line....carry on.....

Edited by MACK 5/4/2012 11:22 AM
Jerry Newman
Posted 5/4/2012 11:57 AM (#557880 - in reply to #557857)

DonPursch - 5/4/2012 11:09 AM Get a partner that can cast !!!! I'm just kidding do what you gotta do

You're not kidding Don... whenever somebody else gets hung up on a shallow reef (especially if it's a hot area) it pains me to go it and ruin the spot.  Of course it's different when I get hung up...

If it's a small area I typically consider it spoiled and move on, same with fishing small shallow reefs that birds fly off of when you set up to cast.

tcbetka
Posted 5/4/2012 12:25 PM (#557894 - in reply to #557853)

Why would the spot be ruined? These dirty fish follow a lure, then hide under the BOAT for God's sake. Then, several casts later, they pop out to scare the beejesus out of you. And they do it on purpose, just to tick you off.

I would (as the other guy in the boat) cast a few times to where I need to take the boat to fetch the lure. Then I'd go get the lure, and insist that the other angler re-tie the leader. Just my luck he'd hook a big fish right after, only to have the line break due to having been nicked on the rocks.

I've been fishing many times and have seen muskies actually swim near the boat in shallower water. Sometimes they would follow a lure, other times not, but I think if you're smart about it...this doesn't have to ruin a spot.

I'd keep fishing.
TB
fishcrazed
Posted 5/4/2012 8:29 PM (#557952 - in reply to #557853)

definitely make a few casts working in to the lure and make them wait. it drives me crazy to tell someone you are fishing with that the water is very shallow and they need to move the lure upon contact with the water and watch them cast, the lure hits the water, they swithch hands, then start their retrieve only to say "i can't believe i am hung up". maddening

Edited by fishcrazed 5/4/2012 8:33 PM
kap
Posted 5/4/2012 8:40 PM (#557955 - in reply to #557853)

it happens, keep fishing, then go get the bait, pretty sure everyone has been hung up before
rocko
Posted 5/4/2012 10:22 PM (#557980 - in reply to #557853)

Definitely keep casting away. If you aren't getting hung up in rocks occasionally, you aren't casting close enough yourself! I have had to go get my partners bait off a rock, and as soon as he worked it free, a fish took a swipe at it and we were right next to the rock. In the darker water areas, those buggers can be very shallow in the rocks, and your baits should be too. We are constantly getting stuck with our double tens, no matter how quick we get the lure started, but that's where we do our best work and we just go get unstuck and don't think twice about it.

Rocko
whynot
Posted 5/5/2012 3:48 PM (#558051 - in reply to #557853)

Cast the area then go get the lure. I look at those situations as an opportunity to throw a parallel cast. Everyone gets hung up at some point. I definitely have days where my depth perception is a bit off. I just make sure to avoid casting at docks and small children on those days! What's really fun is when you get caught on the same rock on back to back casts!
sledman5
Posted 5/5/2012 4:17 PM (#558053 - in reply to #557853)

Agreed, snagging is bound to happen when fishing rocks. I have had a fish hit a lure right after being unsnagged when the boat was only about 10 feet away.

Edited by sledman5 5/5/2012 4:18 PM
Herb_b
Posted 5/7/2012 11:43 AM (#558337 - in reply to #557853)

One can also try a different lure such as a large spinner bait that is more snag-proof. Muskie Mayhem has spinner baits similar to the Cowgirls that provide a more weedless/snagless method of fishing. I have a couple and they work well. Here is a link:
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Musky-Mayhem-c727.htm

One of my favorite methods of fishing is to smack spinner baits off rocks and large boulders. There is something about the lure making contact with the structure and then changing direction suddenly that triggers a lot of strikes.

Just an idea.

Edited by Herb_b 5/7/2012 11:46 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)