Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Weighting A Glider?

Message Subject: Weighting A Glider?
CU301DSV
Posted 11/30/2010 1:09 PM (#468650)
Subject: Weighting A Glider?

I have really enjoyed fishing some gliders this season. Lots of my favorites run just under the surface. There are a few ways that come to mind for weighting gliders but I was just wondering from you guys what works. Does the method you used to add weight effect the lure's action? Explain the method used to weight a glider and please post pics if you have any. Thanks
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/30/2010 6:20 PM (#468665 - in reply to #468650)
Subject: Re: Weighting A Glider?

You can use solder and wrap it around the hook shanks. If you want to fine tune a glider you can also use different size hooks. Only issue I have with different size hooks is that you want a hook that leave the hook points just outside of the ody or more... James
DR in VA
Posted 11/30/2010 7:04 PM (#468672 - in reply to #468650)

Lead golf tape.

Peel and stick, stays on when wet.

Easy, and removable.

DR
CU301DSV
Posted 12/1/2010 3:36 AM (#468699 - in reply to #468650)

Thanks guys!
I thought I remembered an episode of musky fishing where a Manta was modified to use a bell sinker to weight it. I checked the episode from urban outdoors adventures and yes a manta was used but not weighted. Maybe it was an episode of simply fishing where Bob demonstrated weighting a manta with a sinker?
CU301DSV
Posted 12/1/2010 3:38 AM (#468700 - in reply to #468650)

Not sure how I feel about wrapping the hook shank with something. Lead tape might be an option. Either of these methods effect the action?
STUSHSKY
Posted 12/1/2010 9:36 AM (#468723 - in reply to #468700)

dr in va,
does that golf tape come in a roll or strips? is it pliable to comform to say a curved top of a bait? if so that sounds like a great idea to place on the top / back of the bait spread out evenly to get it to suspend horizontally if you want it to...
DR in VA
Posted 12/1/2010 9:59 AM (#468726 - in reply to #468650)

Both a roll or strips. you can cut it to fit what you like and it will conform very well to your lures taper.

DR
CU301DSV
Posted 12/1/2010 1:16 PM (#468746 - in reply to #468726)

DR in VA - 12/1/2010 10:59 AM

Both a roll or strips. you can cut it to fit what you like and it will conform very well to your lures taper.

DR

How is the action of the lure effected? How much deeper can you get the lure to run?
DR in VA
Posted 12/1/2010 4:25 PM (#468756 - in reply to #468650)

The action is the same unless you add a LOT of weight. Then the belly gets heavy and when you erratically work the lure you get a nice belly wobble that I kinda like. You can take a glider right to the bottom, the more you add the deeper it'll run. Keep in mind you can overkill anything. You'd be better off drilling and adding lead if you need to add a ton of weight to get what you want. The lead tape is usually all a glider ever needs though.

DR
Elby
Posted 12/1/2010 4:40 PM (#468757 - in reply to #468756)

Dr - do you have certain gliders you favor as far as adding the golf tape weights?
RiverMan
Posted 12/1/2010 4:54 PM (#468759 - in reply to #468650)

I can't speak for all gliders but for those I build the amount and placement of weight is critical to the action.

Jed
DR in VA
Posted 12/1/2010 8:20 PM (#468768 - in reply to #468650)

Elby,

I only add weight to gliders that need it. Some want to nose up, some nose down, and others just want to stay afloat. These are the ones I add the tape to so I can get the correct action and water depth I'm after.

DR
jakejusa
Posted 12/2/2010 11:53 AM (#468806 - in reply to #468650)
Subject: RE: Weighting A Glider?

As many I have played with weighting a few thousand times. Allot of guys will say they have it down to a science but if it's a wood bait it always varies a bit. I found two helpful tactics one is to crimp a wire onto the front hook eyelet. I buy bass mojo weights and then cut them to lenght needed or estimate needed slide them on the wire. Crimp to the back eyelet tight so the weight is held in place. When you are testing action in the water you can force the weight to move to change that balance point. This is my tactic for large amounts of weight needed. Once the best location is found I mark it with a sharpie and when in the shop drill and fill, paint and epoxy and she hunts like a new dog!
If you only need a little weight testing get yourself some bell sinkers of various size. These have a wire loop on top use a split ring to the hook hanger and add the weights as need to get the action desired. That "wobble" that was brought up on one of the replies is my most sought after result. A glider can barely sink but if it wobbles when it doesit has room in my boat!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)