Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Going barbless

Message Subject: Going barbless
Lars
Posted 6/22/2010 12:27 PM (#446730)
Subject: Going barbless

For those of you that fish barbless, do you just pinch the barbs down to make the hook barbless? Do anything special to keep fish on? Like to know your thoughts.
fish4musky1
Posted 6/22/2010 12:46 PM (#446740 - in reply to #446730)
Subject: RE: Going barbless

I went barbless for about 5 years and yes I just pinched the barbs down with pliers. But after 5 years of loosing too many fish on barbless I decided to go to barbed this season. Just keep the line tight and try to stop them from jumping or thrashing on surface.
pepsiboy
Posted 6/22/2010 1:28 PM (#446747 - in reply to #446740)

fish4musky1 - 6/22/2010 1:46 PM

I went barbless for about 5 years and yes I just pinched the barbs down with pliers. But after 5 years of loosing too many fish on barbless I decided to go to barbed this season. Just keep the line tight and try to stop them from jumping or thrashing on surface.

even when they are trashing no of loosing fish after 2 years =0
maybe you just need to learn how to make the difference vs a poor hook set and a fish lost due to barbless.

lars congrats try it by yourself you will see.im sure you will be very happy of your choice.
Posted 6/22/2010 2:14 PM (#446763 - in reply to #446747)

pepsiboy - 6/22/2010 1:28 PM

fish4musky1 - 6/22/2010 1:46 PM

even when they are trashing no of loosing fish after 2 years =0
maybe you just need to learn how to make the difference vs a poor hook set and a fish lost due to barbless.

lars congrats try it by yourself you will see.im sure you will be very happy of your choice.

Pepsiboy,
I would call that lucky. The thought of a fifty or sixty pounder in a death roll will keep my barbs on my hooks. The only way I would ever remove the barbs. would be for the safety of kids, or novice anglers in my boat. never for a fish. As for that fifty or sixty pounder, Maybe someday.
JoeWebster
Posted 6/22/2010 2:59 PM (#446776 - in reply to #446730)

Not sure where the desire to fish barbless comes from. You can't tell me that a 8 or 10/0 hook with or without barbs is going to be any easier on the fish. If people would just practice better ethics once the fish is in the bag all would be well.
hook one
Posted 6/22/2010 3:32 PM (#446784 - in reply to #446776)

JoeWebster - 6/22/2010 2:59 PM

Not sure where the desire to fish barbless comes from. You can't tell me that a 8 or 10/0 hook with or without barbs is going to be any easier on the fish. If people would just practice better ethics once the fish is in the bag all would be well.

I am guessing the eliteist trout crowd. But maybe Canada? I belive they have barbless only regulation lakes. I concur with your statement 100%
BenR
Posted 6/22/2010 5:54 PM (#446809 - in reply to #446730)
Subject: Re: Going barbless

I fish barbless, mostly because I fished alone and it is a safety issue...however my catch percentage did not change and it improved on surface baits like the weagle. I think fish that typically don't get pinned you have a shot of hooking with barbless. Also 3-4 seconds in the net or just use needlenose to release...Really have not seen a down side to it..BR
esoxaddict
Posted 6/22/2010 6:30 PM (#446813 - in reply to #446776)

JoeWebster - 6/22/2010 2:59 PM

Not sure where the desire to fish barbless comes from. [...] QUOTE]

From the "guess what I did today" thread??
sledge51
Posted 6/22/2010 8:06 PM (#446825 - in reply to #446730)

Maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't knock it until you've tried it???

If you loose a fish on a barbless hook is it automatically because it was barbless? What do you blame lost fish on with barbed hooks? If a musky isn't hooked well, it is probably going to get off one way or the other.
The Real Lee Lane
Posted 6/22/2010 8:40 PM (#446832 - in reply to #446730)

even with barbs a 50 or 60lber in a death roll could straighten the hooks and get away......wich I have seen happen more times than I want to remember. HATS OFF for going barbless......i believe if everyone practiced this it could make a differance.
ebenezer
Posted 6/22/2010 11:58 PM (#446868 - in reply to #446730)

been there. done that. works great for fish and humans (easier releases). But, as my lures get larger and larger, I've noticed that sometimes, a nice fish comes up, one tine of the tail treble way up front, her head rises above the water, shaking to and fro, and no matter what you do, 8 oz., 12 oz., 15 oz of bait is slinging back and forth. A set barb may stay in place. A barbless hook, well, often a premature "Good-bye!"
Overall, barbless is good. But when she gets big and you finally encounter her...
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/23/2010 12:03 AM (#446869 - in reply to #446832)

The Real Lee Lane - 6/22/2010 8:40 PM

even with barbs a 50 or 60lber in a death roll could straighten the hooks and get away......wich I have seen happen more times than I want to remember. HATS OFF for going barbless......i believe if everyone practiced this it could make a differance.

Really??

Ldahlberg
Posted 6/23/2010 8:45 AM (#446900 - in reply to #446730)

Hey guys,
Most old school "standard issue"trebles found on off the shelf lures have barbs that could be reduced substantially without significantly affecting their holding power.
If you carefully file or use a dremel with a cut off wheel to reduce the barbs to the size you see on the Gamakatsu trebles, they are easier to remove from a fish or human, plus will penetrate better in hard tissue.

It's a tip I got a dozen years ago from a Marlin fisherman that I've adapted to musky lures with good success.

I totally agree, the larger or heavier the lure the bigger the problem with barbless hooks.
LD
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)