Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> How good is Gore-Tex?

Message Subject: How good is Gore-Tex?
iamaddicted
Posted 1/18/2010 7:57 AM (#417953)
Subject: How good is Gore-Tex?

Standing in a boat throwing lures in the rain is one thing, but how well does it work if you are sitting on a wet seat all day? In addition to Muskie fishing I enjoy chasing smallies around in a canoe and tend to stay home when it's raining. Are Gore-Tex bibs the solution?

Thanks
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 1/18/2010 1:24 PM (#417997 - in reply to #417953)
Subject: Re: How good is Gore-Tex?

Gore tex is great but I find that it has its limits when sitting in the rain all day. The but area will end up seeping in after long period of sitting. Think of camping in a tent... You never want to touch the roof of the tent, if you do, it will end up moist in the rain or morning dew, still though, I don't go fishing w/out my gore tex bibs and coat. The best fix for sitting all day in full out rain are the rubber coated/lined bibs/coats. Like what they wear on Deadliest Catch.
Ryan_Cotter
Posted 1/18/2010 7:22 PM (#418044 - in reply to #417953)

"The best fix for sitting all day in full out rain are the rubber coated/lined bibs/coats. Like what they wear on Deadliest Catch." It said somewhere they all wear the RedLedge line of rain coats. I have a set of the red ledge pants and the coat, they work good and keep you warm for sure.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/18/2010 7:46 PM (#418050 - in reply to #418044)

Helly Hanson is what the guys mainly wear on the Deadliest Catch, HH is some very good gear!
muskie_man
Posted 1/18/2010 8:24 PM (#418055 - in reply to #417953)

gore tex is worth it without a doubt!
RiverMan
Posted 1/18/2010 8:46 PM (#418063 - in reply to #417953)

I like Cabelas guide wear. My guess is the reason the guys on the crab boats wear HH is because it's tougher, less likely to rip when you are working around the table and traps all day. For fishing and hunting guide wear is spectacular. I spent a week in pouring rain last spring and didn't get a bit wet..........the stuff is unreal.

RM

Edited by RiverMan 1/18/2010 8:47 PM
4amuskie
Posted 1/18/2010 9:43 PM (#418079 - in reply to #418063)

Gortex will leak. Even Guidewear. Stand in the rain fine. Kneel or sit, forget it. Dont buy it and walk through a wet woods either. You'll be soaked.
AFchris
Posted 1/18/2010 9:51 PM (#418082 - in reply to #417953)

Take a guess what we wear in the Military.....you guessed it! Gor-tex.

Next question...take a guess what I wear when I fish...my military issued Gor-tex.
Propster
Posted 1/18/2010 9:55 PM (#418084 - in reply to #417953)
Subject: RE: How good is Gore-Tex?

Gore Tex is awfully good, as is Cabelas Guidewear, which is Sympatex (bigger in Europe even than Gore Tex), for keeping rain off. However, both are a membrane laminated to a water-resistant outer shell, which means it has holes small enough that water droplets can't get in but moisture vapor droplets (from perspiration) can get out. But when you start talking about sitting in or on water and pressing it into and through your outfit you can't expect a membrane to stop the transfer of water. Same goes for a waterproof boot that utilizes a membrane vs. a rubber boot or wader when standing in water. Pressure will eventually force it through. A couple people mentioned it above - solid rubber or pvc, like Helly Hansen, without a membrane is the only thing that will keep the moisture out. Unfortunately it's not nearly as light and comfortable to fish in as the membrane stuff. Maybe just don't sit down!
Nupe
Posted 1/18/2010 10:37 PM (#418088 - in reply to #417953)

I'll tell you, HH has me sold because of their Helly-Tech waterproof material. I have HH jacket and pants and the Helly Tech stuff works! It rained A LOT on my trip to Canada this past summer, and it kept me bone dry. I've also been caught in downpoors and all day rains and it has kept me bone dry. Your question about sitting on a wetseat all day?
I've done that too in my HH raingear on both scenarios mentioned above, not all day, but enough times, long enough at a time and I stayed bone-dry.

My buddy I go to Canada with has Cabelas Guidewear with Gore-Tex and he really likes it.
So, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Edited by Nupe 1/18/2010 10:39 PM
Posted 1/19/2010 6:36 AM (#418099 - in reply to #417953)

If air can get out, water can get in!!!!
The best thing I found is waders.
csuram99
Posted 1/19/2010 7:00 AM (#418105 - in reply to #417953)

I have both HH and cabelas guidewear with goretex. The HH definitely holds up better for an all day soaking, but i've had troubles with durability. I've had a couple of bibs torn from being caught on things. It's also heavier and hotter. I wear the cabelas guidewear year round with layering in the winter. It's tough to beat the durability, weight, and breathability of guidewear. I think the goretex works great for water and wind protection. I've got several sets, with some of them 10 years old already. The older ones do seem to leak a little quicker when soaked and the velcro on the pockets is wearing out, but i think well worth money in long run. I still think there is a place for HH style rainwear. This year i'm going to try grundens instead of HH to see if they are more durable.
iamaddicted
Posted 1/19/2010 7:22 PM (#418249 - in reply to #418105)

Thanks for the help guys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)