|
|
| Sorry everyone but I just have to do this.
I'm flipping around the channels today and just clicked on TV bass fishing show. He's catfishing and just netted around a 20 blue cat. He let it flop on the deck for a second or two, then picked it up by the gill plates and THEN LAUNCHED IT INTO THE WATER!! It landed with a heavy splash and while it lay on the surface, the camera quickly turned away.
All I know is I don't treat any fish like that! Whether it's a pike, muskie, bass or even redhorse, it has every right to swim. That bugged me.
Rob
Anyone know a number for TNN and their complaint dept.? |
|
| |
|
| Man I hope you don't follow me around. Don't like to but sometimes **** happens [:0] |
|
| |
|
| I have seen many of TV shows and they really care for the fish most of the time.
I would guess he was frustated that the fish feel on the deck and he wanted to get it back in the water as quick as he could. Cat fish are also very very hard to hang on to.
I wouldnt worry too much about it.[;)] |
|
| |
|
| I saw that show today too! I also think it was on the other day, and he did just flop the fish into the water. I missed seeing the fish just lay there, but I did think it was kind of rude a "Professional Fisherman" would do something like this.
Its funny you mentioned this! A guide that my Dad and I recently went out with for musky fishing does the same thing for muskies! I couldn't believe it when he did, my mouth just dropped. He claims that it wakes them up quicker and they swim off easier, which I found hard to believe.
I definitely will never do that to a fish and I still can't believe a guide would do that.
BrettC |
|
| |
|
| Guys Guys Guys,calm down. I watched it too. He did NOT throw the fish in the water. He had those special gloves on and still couldn't get a grip on that big catfish. He tried to hold it up for the camera the first time and it squirmed, thus falling a short distance to the deck. On the second atempt, the big cat squirmed again and this time it landed in the water. I don't think any of it was intentional, those slippery ugly things are tough to hang on to when they are 20+ pounds and wretching.
Rob, lay off the Easter Candy, it is gonna put you in a chocolate coma.[:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] |
|
| |
|
| Greg,
There was one before which he did the obvious heave ho on it. It was not squirming or flailing around. I did find his website and left a note on the subject. I'm just glad he doesn't fish muskies.
Rob |
|
| |
|
| I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of people who don't agree with me, but a fish hitting the water with some force doesn't mean that there is some sort of injury to the fish. Fish jump out of the water all the time, and land with a big splash, and don't seem to be any the worse for wear. I've watched steelhead trout try to jump a 4-5 foot falls many times and fail, and then suddenly somehow make it. Are we worried about a muskie that jumps four feet out of the water and them hit the water with a big splash? We are mostly wondering if the damn thing is going to do it again.
I have worked with the Minn DNR, and have watched them release many northern pike in the Warroad river. They are catching them in a trap net, and taging, measuring, weighting these fish, and transporting them some distance in a stock tank. All this is done at a shore line location. After all this they put the fish in a 30' trough, that is elevated, the fish slide through this wetted trough on their way back to the lake. When they hit the water they are going at a good rate of speed. There is something to be said for getting the fish to start to swim when they enter the water. I feel that some of the things we as muskie fisherman, and how we precieve the best way to release fish should have some research done (what is the best way to do this?) rather than just say that the only way is to work them slowly back and forth.
The thing that kills most fish is the amount of time they are out of the water.
I'll bet that the catfish Bill Dance droped overboard is just fine, and some of the muskies that we took 30 pictures of, and then gently released are dead as a door nail.
Doug Johnson |
|
| |
|
| I saw an outdoor show last sunday fishing on leech lake and the guide caught a 51 inch musky let it lay in the bottom of the boat while the hooks were removed , then lifted it up with out supporting the body weight,very poor catch and release tactics.It was july or august with hot temps. |
|
| |
|
| I could understand that it jumped out of his hands making it look like he dropped it, even with muskies they'll stay still for a picture then when I move them towards the water they jump as soon as they see the water, luckily they have never jumped a long distance, but it could happen. |
|
| |
|
| I agree with you about fish jumping but the TV bass fisherman definitely dropped the fish purposely. And what is the point to dropping or throwing a fish in the water anyway, it takes a minute to lay the fish in the water and watch it swim away.
BrettC |
|
| |
|
| Regardless of a catfish, they are tough as nails so I would not worry about a catfish although it is not a classy thing to to.
Something that made my skin crawl were two things I had seen on show.
-One, show was fishing Muskies with a (big musky pro). They caught a fish, had it out of the water for a long period of time and then the pro just flung the Musky into the water.
-Two, someone who I do respect on their views but questioned when I saw this was famous for fish research. He was on Midwest Outdoors fishing for Muskies in Canada. He caught 2 fish which he layed on the floor of his boat and talked to the camera then took the hooks out of the fish before tossing it back into the water. The 2nd larger fish which was just about 50"s was on the deck of his boat so long they cut most of it out and went to him tossing that fish back in the water. The fish did not even swim away it just layed there.
In my mind that was horrible and made my stomach crawl. 2 guys who are respected like them and what kind of care do they show on a TV show where other less educated people watch and may do the same with a fish. The fish researcher preached about only having the fish out as long as you can hold your breathe but was cutting out footage while the fish layed on his deck. Slimecoat or not on a larger fish I can only imagine the mortality rate.
-Phil Cali
|
|
| |
|
| Great subject, but watch using names in a bad way. There may be more things you dont know about the situation. Life is trial and error, sometimes sad to say you have to make errors to learn from them, we all are not perfect.
Our grandfathers all killed thier muskies, we have learned to respect and care for the resource..that is the learning curve.
I have dropped a muskie by MISTAKE and was extremly sad that I did. But it happens and all you can do after that is release it the best way possible.
Please keep this good handling subject going, but try not to use names in a bad light, for the respect of the person involved.[;)] (See what I mean, Jason?? Pretty easy to do.) |
|
| |
|
| I watched another TV person playing out all his fish (way too long in my opinion) and then holding them out of the water for several minutes for the camera! I think he's the worst because his show is more popular, he is very well known as a musky pro. How many people has he taught how to 'release' fish via his show? Most of his musky segments seem to be in fall/cool water and EVERY one of his fish STILL goes belly up when he finally puts em back. And he never mentions any release tips, or stresses the importance of the release like the other musky pros on TV. I don't mean to defame or anything like that, its just a statement of fact that every fish caught by that TV host has a near death experience- not that I care about the few fish he catches on the show- but rather the lesson he teaches to people learning to fish muskies. |
|
| |