Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Pin Point Trolling Motors by motor guide

Reply New post
Message Subject: Pin Point Trolling Motors by motor guide
SVT
Posted 12/13/2006 10:18 PM (#225377)
Subject: Pin Point Trolling Motors by motor guide

Any one here use this product?

The one that holds you at a given depth..??

How do you like it?

There kidna pricey....but worth it?
Greg S
Posted 12/14/2006 12:22 PM (#225519 - in reply to #225377)
Subject: RE: Pin Point Trolling Motors by motor guide

I have 2 seasons on my Pin Point. The first weekend on the water it would had a mind of it's own. It would start going in circles and back and forth on it's own. I learned later that it wasn't uncommon. Of course I called one of the crtified service centers (there are only 3 in the country) and they talked me into giving it a chance to "settle in". The next week it only did it once and hasn't done it since (knock on wood). Then it started losing contact with the bottom and wouldn't read depth. At first it was for 10 - 15 seconds at a time, but by the end of the season it wouldn't read depth at all. I know I should have sent it in right away, but I was afraid of not having a trolling motor for a month or two. I sent it in at the end of the season. They had it for 2 months and fixed with no questions asked. I now have a full season on it without any problems (again, "knock on wood"). Was it worth the extra money? I'm not sure yet. The only time I use the tracking is in the wind when it will hold the structure for you. If the wind is gusting the depth adjustments can be quik enough to throw you off balance (heart stopping at times). It is nice for mapping structure on a calm day because it follows the exact depth that you tell it to. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't buy another one. Nothing against MOTOR GUIDE, I just don't think the extra features are worth that much extra cash.

Just my experience. Hope it helps.
JohnMD
Posted 12/21/2006 4:08 PM (#226977 - in reply to #225377)

Don't know about the new ones from Motor Guide but I have one that is 5 years old and works perfectly every time

Dtrap
Posted 12/21/2006 4:30 PM (#226982 - in reply to #225377)

Anyone else using these? My little brother wants one for his graduation present this year and I cann't really find out to much about them other than the website. Any reviews positive or negative would be appreciated.
thanks
Dustin
Raider150
Posted 12/23/2006 9:23 PM (#227398 - in reply to #225377)

The few people I know that HAD one got rid of them. Same problems as in posts above. Get a good quality one and then have a graph mounted up front and you should be O.K.. That is a lot of coin for a headache.
Duke1
Posted 1/10/2007 9:01 AM (#231269 - in reply to #225377)

SVT, if you want an honest assessment of this product contact me at [email protected]
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/10/2007 10:23 AM (#231289 - in reply to #231269)

I have run one for almost a year and it was great until one day it went nuts. The head kept turning the same direction and would not stop. I unpluged it and pluged it back in and it kept going until it slowed down and started to bind. I unpluged it and took in it for service. I week later it was back on my boat at no charge and since then it's been great. One of the quietest motors I have ever used and it's a work horse.

I use this motor day in and day out and it has held up. The problem with it the one time I had it serviced was the stop inside. There is a stop so the motor will not over rotate. I was told this was going to be a fixed problem with the ones coming out of the factory.

This product is a great motor but I don't believe it is worth the cash I spent on it. For me I could have done without the extras. But, for learning new water and structure the drpth track is a great tool. Track around a rock bar that comes up from deep water. Now look at your GPS and see how it lays out at different depths. Very cool tool, this makes it worth the extra cash for the depth track. Creek track and shore track I don't use much.
Lightning
Posted 1/11/2007 9:34 AM (#231613 - in reply to #225377)

I would go win an Autopilot from Minnkota
Dustin
Posted 1/12/2007 4:26 PM (#231913 - in reply to #225377)

Mike,
Whats the final word on this motor, worth it or not? I do a lot of river fishing and think this would be great for following the breaks and holding a spot in the current. Also seems like it would be great for working mid lake humps and piles as you said. I have an Auto pilot now but this seems like a nice step up to the minnkotta. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/13/2007 7:36 AM (#231990 - in reply to #231913)

Dustin, this is by far the quietest and strongest motor I have had on a boat. I run Ranger 620VS Fisherman and that is a large boat to move around.

The features on this product are (shore track)This I will use up north where there is not as many piers. Anything that sticks out from shore that is large will make this motor kick out and then kick back in. I like to run it myself to get better angles for my clients. The motor will kick out when it's close to the piers, this is usually when I already have made the adjustments for the casts. Long story short, you can do your boat control better yourself when piers and boat lifts are everywhere.

The (creek channel) will run good if the creek or river is not huge. This I like when you work rivers or neck downs on lakes. I don't get to use it much but it works when the situation is rite.

The (depth track) is by far the nicest feature and that will be used all the time. When I was fishing the PMTT every year I would always use this for bars, points, reefs, and breaks. I would prefish them while working a certain depth. then I would come back and rework that structure at a deeper depth or shallower depth. I would then go back and carefully check the GPS and plotter to see the things you would not see if you didn't have this product. I have to say that this makes the Motor Guide PTS a product I made good use of. Now is it worth the extra cash? Depends on how you use it. Was it worth it for me. Hell ya. This motor got me zero'ed in on a bar down at Cave Run and we took 6th place and lost the winning fish boatside while cameras were rolling. we also released 5 sub legals and 15 bass. Did this unit help us? It not only helped us it gave us the knowledge we needed to win, not just try.

All in all I have to say "you" have to decide if your going to use the features. This unit must be calibrated from time to time. You have do this yourself in the boat. Easy to do. Sometimes the motor will bump bottom or a object and will get tweeked. All you have to do is go through a short reset of the straight ahead. This allows the motor to reset the place where the boat will be running straight.

I think for the cash it's ok. The quietness of the motor and how good it has been for me make it well worth what I put into it. If you fish tournaments, take vacations on new lakes, or just like to learn very important small details on your lakes it is well worth the cash. What would you pay for the chance to catch more muskie and get better at the lakes you fish? Everyone has limits, if you got some extra cash and will use the features then jump on it. I guide and fish Pewaukee Lake hard core. I don't use the features here because I can run the motor better than the features can. When you guide you have to make the adjustments before you get to the structure, the PTS will make them as you get to the structure. But to learn the structure it's a great tool.

I hope my rambling helps you make a decision either way. Would I buy it again? YES
Greg S
Posted 1/13/2007 11:24 AM (#232022 - in reply to #225377)

I agree with Mike on using the depth track for learning and mapping structure. I learned things on lakes I had been fishing for years. I found the structure on structure I didn't know was there, and it did help put fish in the boat. I still don't use it on structure that I know, or weed beds I can see. I don't like to have an electric motor running when my lure gets close to the boat. I've had too many following fish back off close to the boat and follow all the way to the boat on the next cast with the motor turned off.

Would I buy another one? Still not sure. I would buy another Motorguide because it is a good strong motor. Not much of an answer, just more information to help you make a decision.

If you aren't going to decide until spring, let me know. We can take my boat out so you can try it.
THROWINWOOD
Posted 1/14/2007 12:20 PM (#232122 - in reply to #225377)

Mike are you running a 24 or a 36 volt on your 620?

Dave
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/14/2007 1:49 PM (#232128 - in reply to #232122)

I am using 24 and that has been enough. I have fished all night in 4 footers on Millie Lac's and still had power left when we stopped fishing. Quality batterys go a long way. 36 would keep you going for a weekend.

The quietness of this motor when it's used at higher speeds is unbelievabe. I have never ran my battery's down to where it's not holding my boat yet. Boat control is huge and this motor makes it easy. Add the 18ft extention to the foot pedel and you can run the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat. The long shaft is the one I picked up for my rig. It's long but you will be happy if your fishing big water, the prop will stay in the water. When you get into shallow water just adjust it up with the shaft adjustment locking device.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)