Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Late season burning bucktails

Message Subject: Late season burning bucktails
firstsixfeet
Posted 11/28/2005 5:11 PM (#166782)
Subject: Late season burning bucktails

I have now had two seasons where I caught fish late late in the fall season down here burning bucktails over, past and away from cover objects. I do not use bucktails very heavily unless I am on Cave Run, so it was kind of a surprise to have these fish pop up and hit this out of season(?) presentation. Both days fish were active, but with the water temps involved and lateness into the fall, I was kind of surprised by the reaction to this presentation. I pretty well knew there were fish in the areas I was presenting to, and had already had them up and pass on pull baits, and these presentations were secondary to other presentations, so there had to be some desirable trigger effects involved that wasn't met by a slower larger presentation.

I have studied alot of posts that seemingly present what many consider to be conventional wisdom on cold water late fall presentations and really question some of them.

Anybody else trying speed presentations late?
Bukes
Posted 11/28/2005 5:15 PM (#166783 - in reply to #166782)
Subject: RE: Late season burning bucktails

What was the water temp?
firstsixfeet
Posted 11/28/2005 5:17 PM (#166785 - in reply to #166782)

lower 50's

speed was as fast as I could crank
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2005 5:23 PM (#166787 - in reply to #166785)

The fish can swim over 30 MPH anytime it wants, cold water or warm. I think the fastest you can crank is about 6 MPH with a really fast reel.
firstsixfeet
Posted 11/28/2005 5:32 PM (#166788 - in reply to #166787)

sworrall - 11/28/2005 5:23 PM

The fish can swim over 30 MPH anytime it wants, cold water or warm. I think the fastest you can crank is about 6 MPH with a really fast reel.

yes, and...?
sworrall
Posted 11/28/2005 5:41 PM (#166789 - in reply to #166788)

To paraphrase a boat partner of yours, if it moves, it's food. Can't take it away from them, so sometimes it's speed that gets the strike, even in colder water. I move a Glider WAY faster than most in the fall.
MuskieMedic
Posted 11/28/2005 9:28 PM (#166841 - in reply to #166782)

I agree with Steve, I don't slow down my gliders or jerkbaits much in the fall either and have had good results. I have had luck in the fall cranking big Jakes fast with a straight retreive too. If you put a fast bait like a bucktail in front of their face they will smack it. I throw them later and later every year.
muskyboy
Posted 11/28/2005 9:52 PM (#166847 - in reply to #166782)

Bucktails, like Top Waters, work ice out until ice up. Speed kills anytime of the year
musky_grrr
Posted 11/30/2005 4:38 PM (#167097 - in reply to #166782)

I think that you'd find, every once in a while, it pays to bring along and throw a bait you normally wouldn't under those conditions. I don't know if it's because the fish are seeing the same old that everyone is throwing according to all the articles, etc., but unusual baits do seem to work when nothing else is.
dougj
Posted 11/30/2005 5:21 PM (#167100 - in reply to #166782)

FSF:

Not surprised that you scored burning busktails in 50 degree water. Mark Windels did well with them at this temperature, and I've caught a fair number myself.

I think there is a great deal of differance between the rate of metabolism of fish (cold blooded animals) and the speed that they can swim. I doubt that there is much correlation. I've speared (I still do, it's fun, so pick on me) in a dark house in Minnesota waters for years, and the northern pike can swim so fast when they come into the hole that you can hardly see them. I've seem very cold water muskies hit a big believer so hard when the waters 40 degrees that the whole fish comes flying out of the water, these fish are not moving slow! I typically troll in the fall in very cold water of 35-50 degrees at 4 to 5 miles per hour and catch lots of fish.

Water temps and the speed that fish can swim are not related.

I personally think folks are missing lots of fish in cold water because they slow down too much! Slow works, but so does fast!

Doug Johnson
Mikes Extreme
Posted 11/30/2005 5:40 PM (#167102 - in reply to #167100)

Good stuff Doug and FSF.

I was always told to slow down in cold water but now speed is part of my arsonal.

I still can't speed it up with confidence yet but thats changing.

Fishing the PMTT for years has got me to speed up some of my trolling patterns. I still have not fished faster than 5mph. I like 3 to 4.5. Works best for me.

Mille Lac's was the fastest I have ever fished a bucktail. My arms and wrists took a while to get better after that week. Speeeeeed works...............
luckymusky
Posted 11/30/2005 10:42 PM (#167143 - in reply to #166782)

got my first fish of the year{47" personal best} on a sil/blk vibrax back on 10-29 , temp was 58 and still pre turnover.. but i couldnt help think that i was fishing a summer pattern burning a buck over weeds{small clumps in shallows} as no slow presentations were working whatsoever.
mikie
Posted 12/1/2005 6:01 AM (#167151 - in reply to #166782)

Yeah, I moved a fish at Cave Ruin a couple weekends ago after being told that hair season was over.
I recall the advice of one Norm Wild to me a couple years ago: Bucktails from opener to ice up!
Glad you are on fish. m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)