Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New Fisherman

Message Subject: New Fisherman
WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/22/2024 12:24 PM (#1029907)
Subject: New Fisherman

Hello all,

Life long bass fisherman who’s recently decided to chase Muskies. I’m in SE WI and have done a guided trip on Pewaukee lake in early June. Rough day but rose a few.

Since then I’ve been putting together a rod/reel setup (will be used for my big bass swimbaits/glides) and wanted to get some perspective from seasoned fisherman on what lures to start with in building my collection. Below is a list of my current lure selection:

As a caveat, I’m in a paddle kayak for the time being. I plan on getting a bigger kayak with the ability to add trolling motor / stand up and fish. I hate sitting and fishing.

1. 2 mini medusas (ball licker & walleye)
2. A couple bucktails in various colors.
3. Kraken in perch - haven’t had a chance to throw this yet but I’m very interested in the jigging aspect. Plan on picking up some tubes as well for fall fishing.
4. Various bass glides I also plan on using.

Looking on some guidance on what other lures to add to get me started. I’m also use to almost always throwing something matching the local forage when bassin. So the outlandish yet cool colors of Muskie baits are throwing my off.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rudedog
Posted 7/22/2024 12:59 PM (#1029911 - in reply to #1029907)
Subject: RE: New Fisherman

Don't over think colors or over buy stuff.

You have a good start.
Get a Topwater like a Topraider.
Maybe a few 6-8" minnows like the Big Game brand.

mix it up on the colors.
Although I am quite picky on colors, I really don't think muskie even care.

Send me a private message on here and I can give you some stuff I don' use.
I have too much.
-Jon
Slopski
Posted 7/22/2024 2:19 PM (#1029912 - in reply to #1029907)
Subject: Re: New Fisherman

I second the top raider or any other decent top water lure. Also a Slopmaster is a great bait to have in our shallower lakes and flowages here in WI.
TCESOX
Posted 7/22/2024 5:58 PM (#1029917 - in reply to #1029907)

Along with the top water, I'd throw in a spinner bait. Doesn't need to be much bigger profile than your bass ones, but needs a beefier build, built for muskies. Also an adjustable weight Suick.
WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/22/2024 7:27 PM (#1029920 - in reply to #1029911)
Subject: RE: New Fisherman

Appreciate the insight.

I always over think colors for whatever reason. I’ll focus more on mastering a particular lure/lures before getting hung up on colors.

I’ve also read on some bodies of water, color/presentation can make a bigger impact. I suppose that’s just learning your fishery.

PM sent
WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/22/2024 7:29 PM (#1029921 - in reply to #1029912)

Top raiders are the same presentation as a Whopper Popper? Just bigger and different sound? Continuous retrieve? Stop and go?
WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/22/2024 7:31 PM (#1029922 - in reply to #1029917)

I’ve pretty much stopped tossing spinnerbaits due to Pike messing my good ones up. I’ve heard of monster spinnerbaits that I might have to revisit. You have a brand you like?
Rudedog
Posted 7/23/2024 5:47 AM (#1029932 - in reply to #1029921)

WiscoHoosier - 7/22/2024 7:29 PM

Top raiders are the same presentation as a Whopper Popper? Just bigger and different sound? Continuous retrieve? Stop and go?

Ya, Whopper Plopper is the same basic thing. Tail ploppers all fairly similar. Slow and steady normally is the cadence used.
jdsplasher
Posted 7/23/2024 6:23 AM (#1029933 - in reply to #1029922)

QUOTE]WiscoHoosier - 7/22/2024 7:31 PM I’ve pretty much stopped tossing spinnerbaits due to Pike messing my good ones up. I’ve heard of monster spinnerbaits that I might have to revisit. You have a brand you like?
…Wisco;

….if you help out with the vet outing, hit me up if you want to talk Muskie on Pewaukee. Guided Pewaukee close to 30 years part time. I build custom Spinnerbait's and Pewaukee is a good lake for them because of all the floating weeds. 

Topwaters work, but very difficult to fish because of all the floating weeds. A lot of wasted casts. Need to pick your spots, and fish leeward sides .

JD 

WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/23/2024 7:44 AM (#1029934 - in reply to #1029933)

I’ve been trying to volunteer for events since I joined a few weeks ago. Got to help a member sell some boat tickets during Pewaukee beach fest in June which was fun. I have the Presidents number so I’ll reach out and see what I can help with. Wish the website was updated consistently. I don’t have a boat to offer up but happy to do anything else.

I’d love to pick your brain on musky tackle/tactics! I’ve heard Pewaukee is an excellent fishery. I’ve only fished twice on the other side of the lake. If you ever see a guy dodging wakeboarders in a blue paddle kayak in the morning on weekends that’s me….
mikie
Posted 7/24/2024 7:59 AM (#1029952 - in reply to #1029907)

Pewaukee is a good place to start. I fished with 21 different people over a three year period before Mike Koepp trolled me up my first one on Pewaukee. Since then, I've had a three fish day there, too. good luck. m
WiscoHoosier
Posted 7/25/2024 9:10 AM (#1029979 - in reply to #1029952)

Heading out this Saturday morning on Pewaukee. I’m not sure if the lake has been productive or not so far this year. I’ve never trolled but that might have to change if they are stubborn.

I’d be satisfied with a 3 fish day!
mikie
Posted 7/25/2024 9:17 AM (#1029980 - in reply to #1029907)

I was, it was my first threesome. Still being a bit green, I was told that it was known as a 'hat trick' and if I didn't throw my new Frabill hat into the lake I'd be cursed forever. or something like that. Not sure it worked...m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)