Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Predator rod rating

Message Subject: Predator rod rating
RyanJoz
Posted 8/9/2015 7:17 PM (#779732)
Subject: Predator rod rating

I want to order a 9'8" predator for pounders and mags. The pounder will not be thrown very often, but I don't want the rod to be way overkill. I have two big nasty rods already and I don't feel that it is heavy enough for pounders but it is great for mags.

XH or XXH and why? I wanted to hear from someone who has a similar rod.
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/9/2015 7:39 PM (#779736 - in reply to #779732)
Subject: Re: Predator rod rating

I have both predators X heavy and xx heavy both 9 foot 8 inch. I started out with the xx heavy for my pounder rod .it works but a lot of people were using the X heavy so I thought I would try it. I only use my XXHeavy for a back up rod or for 2 pounders. The XXHeavy is a stiff rod and dose not load up all the way. The X heavy loads up better and can cast further. I would consider putting a Tranx HG on it helps to balance the rod .
RyanJoz
Posted 8/9/2015 7:46 PM (#779737 - in reply to #779732)

I have a Tranx HG to put on it already. Thank you for the advice.
dami0101
Posted 8/10/2015 8:56 AM (#779760 - in reply to #779732)

I have a 9' XH predator with an 18" handle, so not quite what you are looking at but I thought I'd share my experience. Personally I'm not a fan of the XH for heavier baits, it's a great mag dawg rod, but after that I just don't like it as much. I've spent an entire day throwing pounders with it and I was feeling it a day later. I haven't tried the XXH Predator as I don't have the money for two, but I did try the new XXXH 9' TI rod and I found that thing to be a dream for throwing pounders, and didn't feel it the next day.

When you said pounders wouldn't be thrown very often, does that mean they'll get thrown for maybe an hour a day but throughout the entire season or does that mean all day long but only at the end of the season? If it's the 2nd then I would probably look at getting a dedicated pounder rod as you already have to Big Nastys, but maybe go with a less expensive option?
Mojo1269
Posted 8/10/2015 1:53 PM (#779803 - in reply to #779732)

I think the Pred XH is the best Pounder rod out there. It loads up like a dream a casts them a mile. I have it paired with a HG Tranx. Cant say enough good things about the combo. I have had the rod since Thorne Brothers started selling them(2010??) and have literally made over 100K casts with it...

I also own an XXH Pred as well. I use this mostly for 2 Pounders and it does a wonderful job with Supermodels (especially in the 8) if you are casting with the wind.
Cloud7
Posted 8/12/2015 2:25 PM (#780092 - in reply to #779732)

I have a 9'4 Predator XH with an 18" handle. I bought it because I had a Big Nasty and a Big Dawg and read that this casts mag and pounder size rubber better. This has now taken the roles of my Big Nasty, my Big Dawg, and I use it for my pounders. The rod just seems to respond well to pretty much whatever you want to throw with it. If you have any doubts your best bet is to call in during the regular work week hours and speak with Lonnie to nail down what rod configuration will work best.
-C7
RyanJoz
Posted 8/12/2015 4:46 PM (#780111 - in reply to #779732)

Syncork or cork is my next question
BenR
Posted 8/12/2015 11:01 PM (#780151 - in reply to #779732)

There is a new material for handles better than syncork or cork. It is lighter, durable and actually gets a bit tacky if wet. Not sure of thornes has it, but worth asking. Not sure on the name, but almost looks similar to a golf grip.
southern comfort
Posted 8/13/2015 6:48 AM (#780164 - in reply to #779732)

Not aware of new material but I love syncork. It is durable, great when wet and almost seems to grip you back. Great in the Fall.
Dusky Mave
Posted 8/13/2015 8:05 AM (#780177 - in reply to #780164)

Syncork seems to be much grippier that regular cork when wet. I bought a used rod at the TB sale this year and I really like it.
RyanJoz
Posted 9/1/2015 8:03 AM (#782609 - in reply to #779732)

What do you use to sand syncork? Rod was delivered yesterday and it is really rough
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/1/2015 8:20 AM (#782611 - in reply to #779732)

Yeah, the syncork is pretty rough but it doesn't bother me. It does kind of wear some shirts out in the arm pit a little. If I did buy another one I'd do regular cork though. Looks like you already bought it, but for what it's worth, I love my 9'6" with all my heart! Throws pounders like a machine and slings a bucktail better than any other rod I've used. Zero complaints except I would consider a slightly shorter one next time for big blades because it feels like I'm fighting the rod a little bit in the 8. I may try a 9'2" or 3" next time.

Edit: It's an XH 9'6"
Travis A.
Posted 9/1/2015 11:22 AM (#782632 - in reply to #779732)

I was in a similar situation as you. I have a Big Nasty and wasn't sure whether to get an XH or XXH. I wanted a 9'6" I went with the XXH and here's why. I basically wanted it mainly for a big rubber rod. I can throw pounders with my Big Nasty but I feel that I'm putting a lot more work into it than I should be if I was using a heavier rod. And I can really tell the difference between a pounder and a monster medusa on a Nasty. The monster medusa is a lot more work. I want to throw a pounder like the Nasty throws a mag dawg. I was debating between the XH or XXH and a Beast HS or Tranx PG to put on it, thinking that it could be a big blade rod as well. Lonnie said you're not going to really get a rod that does both. My main concern if I went with an XH was that I would just end up with a prettier version of a Big Nasty and I would end up using that for everything and my Nasty would go to waste. My main concern with an XXH was that it would be too stiff for anything but mammoths and 2 pounders and possibly lose fish cause of the stiffness like people say happens on Big Dawgs. Lonnie said that the XH was very similar to a Big Nasty. I went with the XXH because of what he said and cause I need a rubber rod more than a blade rod. The nasty works fine for blades for me. The extra 6" going with a 9'6" vs just a 9' XXH gives it a little more flex. I don't want to say it's between a XH and XXH but it helps with lighter baits. The way Lonnie put it, there's still plenty of flex in the tip but the power comes on in the back 2/3 of the blank. I threw it for the first time this past weekend and it launched rubber better/easier than my Nasty and I was surprised how well it threw bucktails also. It had plenty of flex in the tip to launch them. By the end of the day I was throwin all my bucktails with the Predator and quit using my Nasty. I got the syncock and I'm going to love it in fall with gloves on for how grippy it is but let me tell you, don't wear a sleeveless shirt unless you want to tear up the side of your rib cage. Maybe that's not a problem up north but down here it gets hot and muggy and you feel like you're suffocating with a T shirt or long sleeve. And that extra 6" is a dream in the figure 8. I would imagine if you went 9"8" it would be even more of a in between XH and XXH, assuming that the extra 2" goes on the tip and it thinner. Talk to Lonnie and he will steer you in the right direction.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)