Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Shadzilla X by Waterwolf Lures

Message Subject: Shadzilla X by Waterwolf Lures
Big Perc
Posted 8/18/2013 10:04 PM (#658119)
Subject: Shadzilla X by Waterwolf Lures

Anyone actually had fish eat this...last week on Rowan I would throw this back at a fish that followed only to have them follow again and almost nose up to the bait opening and closing their mouth behind the bait as if they where tasting it but never would eat it. 9" got the most action and couldn't get any looker on the 13". I found it tangled in the leader a lot too until I buried the front treble in the bait.
mastical
Posted 8/19/2013 6:48 AM (#658135 - in reply to #658119)
Subject: Re: Shadzilla X by Waterwolf Lures

I had the same problem with getting tangled until i did what you did. Nice bait for sure.

Brad P
Posted 8/19/2013 8:15 AM (#658140 - in reply to #658119)

I'm still working the kinks ouf of mine. Kind of wish Mike or one of his Pro-Staffers would post a vid of how they work the thing. It seems like it is supposed to be a glider, but if you do not work it slow it spins and hangs. I did get a nice pike on the St. Croix on mine over Memorial weekend, but since it has been decorating my box since I haven't had a need or desire to fish that slow that shallow. I know Mike puts out great products so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm doing something wrong with the thing.
Mojo1269
Posted 8/19/2013 8:43 AM (#658144 - in reply to #658119)

Hang a Bell Sinker off the front Rookie; or wrap the front hook in Solder.... Gives it some great action and gets it down.
Big Perc
Posted 8/19/2013 8:44 AM (#658145 - in reply to #658119)

I wonder if you stuck it in with a bag of powerbait for a couple months if it would pick up some scent other than that very plastic smell and would make a difference...
WaterWolfMike
Posted 9/5/2013 8:28 PM (#661568 - in reply to #658119)

Hey Matt, that smell is likely the paint we use. There are only a few types of paint that adhere well to plastisol, VPI is the most common and smells strong if it's freshly painted or contained in a plastic bag. If you leave it hanging in the open for a while, the smell will tone down. That being said we are are going to be testing a water based paint that has no smell in the next month ! tip ...the baits are hollow, it's easy to squirt some scent in the tail and it will hold a lot of it.

I had another angler ask about the leader tangling the front hook today as well. We recently moved the front hook hanger back a bit to reduce the fouling. When we fish Shadzilla X's we use a 150 lb mono leader. Mono is more buoyant than flourocarbon or single strand wire and when fished with a semi taught line it reduces fouling a lot. I have stuck one of the hooks into the belly and also used a small magnet inserted in the bait to keep the front treble tight to the belly, but it reduced the hook ups.

This is a bait that needs to be fished slower for sure, again since its hollow you can remove the wire frame and crimp a sinker on it so it can be fished faster/deeper. For those you with extreme fishing patience, try removing the hooks/split rings and push the wire frame back inside. Turn the frame so that the hook hangers push out are where the lateral line (the flat side) would be and pop the wire loops out there...re-attach the hooks and now you can fish it flat for a way slower fall/glide.
Ja Rule
Posted 9/6/2013 10:39 AM (#661654 - in reply to #658145)

Big Perc - 8/19/2013 8:44 AM

I wonder if you stuck it in with a bag of powerbait for a couple months if it would pick up some scent other than that very plastic smell and would make a difference...

The smell makes no difference. Otherwise Dawgs, Super D's, Medussa, etc. wouldn't catch so many fish.
Mtn Hunter
Posted 9/6/2013 4:24 PM (#661717 - in reply to #661568)

WaterWolfMike - 9/5/2013 8:28 PM

Hey Matt, that smell is likely the paint we use. There are only a few types of paint that adhere well to plastisol, VPI is the most common and smells strong if it's freshly painted or contained in a plastic bag. If you leave it hanging in the open for a while, the smell will tone down. That being said we are are going to be testing a water based paint that has no smell in the next month ! tip ...the baits are hollow, it's easy to squirt some scent in the tail and it will hold a lot of it.

I had another angler ask about the leader tangling the front hook today as well. We recently moved the front hook hanger back a bit to reduce the fouling. When we fish Shadzilla X's we use a 150 lb mono leader. Mono is more buoyant than flourocarbon or single strand wire and when fished with a semi taught line it reduces fouling a lot. I have stuck one of the hooks into the belly and also used a small magnet inserted in the bait to keep the front treble tight to the belly, but it reduced the hook ups.

This is a bait that needs to be fished slower for sure, again since its hollow you can remove the wire frame and crimp a sinker on it so it can be fished faster/deeper. For those you with extreme fishing patience, try removing the hooks/split rings and push the wire frame back inside. Turn the frame so that the hook hangers push out are where the lateral line (the flat side) would be and pop the wire loops out there...re-attach the hooks and now you can fish it flat for a way slower fall/glide.

seems like the bait needs some redesigning if you buy it new and it needs this much work to get it to not foul, i would say back to the drawing board boys!!
WaterWolfMike
Posted 9/7/2013 4:29 PM (#661831 - in reply to #658119)

We already moved back the front hook loop on the newer ones, should solve any issues. I think if you let any glide bait with large trebles move forward on a slack line there's a chance of the front hook fouling in the leader.

The rest of the mods allow the bait to be fished slower or faster, not really a design issue or need to re-design.
newmuskyz
Posted 9/7/2013 9:03 PM (#661864 - in reply to #661831)

Any bait that can be modified so many ways is a good one. Im gonna pick up a couple. Like the looks of it.
bshep
Posted 9/8/2013 10:23 PM (#662049 - in reply to #658119)

As long as it is in the water and looks like a fish, it will work. No need to get too crazy with this bait. They eat it up.
jano
Posted 9/12/2013 8:47 AM (#662740 - in reply to #658119)

still looking for my first musky on it,but pike seems to love it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)