Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu not engaging?

Message Subject: Abu not engaging?
MartinTD
Posted 8/17/2011 2:14 PM (#512254)
Subject: Abu not engaging?

Maybe a dumb question but I have a C3 that is having trouble engaging after the cast. Usually it needs a little bump on the side plate to get turning and seems to be getting progessively worse.
Just wondering what part is going out that needs to be replaced?
MartinTD
Posted 8/17/2011 2:24 PM (#512257 - in reply to #512254)
Subject: Re: Abu not engaging?

I pulled this off of the abu website and will check these things tonight. I would think there is more to it as my C3 is basically unusable and it's beginning to happen with a 1 yr old C4 too. ??? Maybe I answered my own question.

Thumb bar - Push button will not re-engage when handle is turned

1.Broken Thumb bar or Push button return spring.
2.Dirty or under lubricated clutch return system.
3.Clutch return arm is worn.
hodaghawg
Posted 8/17/2011 3:12 PM (#512267 - in reply to #512254)
Subject: RE: Abu not engaging?

I just had one fixed, it was a little part, i believe the feed pawl, but can't remember for sure.
RyanJoz
Posted 8/17/2011 3:37 PM (#512269 - in reply to #512267)

Martin,

It could be any one of those 3, really just take the reel apart, clean the back plate with brake cleaner, and lightly grease with a high quality grease (I like lubriplate marine grease). PM me if you have more questions.
dtaijo174
Posted 8/17/2011 8:44 PM (#512309 - in reply to #512254)

happened on a few of my old abu's. The spring was always the culprit. I just took them out and stretched them out and they made it through the year. bought new ones in the winter...
Herb_b
Posted 8/18/2011 12:09 PM (#512388 - in reply to #512254)

What spring??? Do you mean the small embedded piston spring with the white cap on it in the piston assembly? One generally needs to replace the piston assembly to replace that spring.

Your reels are most likely just dirty and need a good cleaning and relube. Taking them apart is not hard. Just take them apart one piece at a time and take a picture of each step with a digital camera if you're not sure how it goes back together. Go easy on the grease when re-lubing and its generally best to oil the parts that don't have teeth. After one has cleaned a few reels, it will probably take one about 20 minutes to completely break down, clean, lube and re-assemble a reel.

What causes the reel to re-engage is actually a mechanical system where turning the main gear shaft, via the handle, causes the clutch arm to move and dis-engage the clutch. That is what allows the drive shaft to drop back down and re-engage the gears. It is important to understand that the main gear, via the drift shaft, is actually lifted up when the thumbar is pushed down. It needs to drop back down to re-engage the main gear. Besides the drive shaft, there are actually several parts to the clutch assembly and if any one of them is dirty or excessively worn, the drive shaft can affectively get stuck in an upwards position and not drop back down. And that is what you are seeing.

I have seen the following cause this problem on my reels:
1. Dirty clutch assembly.
2. Dirty drive shaft assembly that won't allow the shaft to drop back down.
3. The piston assembly needs replacement. (I have a reel with that problem now and am waiting on parts.)
4. Broken or worn teeth on the drive shaft and it needs replacement.
5. The backplate is worn out or damaged. Drive shaft holding pin is worn or bent and drive shaft cannot operate correctly.

A look at the 6500 C3 schematic should help:.
http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/6500C3%2099...

If cleaning does not help, then you may need a few replacement parts. Look specifically at parts:
22808 - clutch piston assembly (common)
22807 - clutch arm (somewhat common)
20685 - clutch arm holder (usually not a problem)
22079 - drive shaft (somewhat common)
22508 - backplate (somewhat common)

Luckily, these parts are widely available.

Good luck.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/18/2011 1:06 PM (#512397 - in reply to #512254)

MartinTD, if the push button pops out in its own you can rule out a broken spring. Its either a bad clutch arm or needs a good cleaning. Most times it just needs a good cleaning.
knooter
Posted 8/18/2011 1:08 PM (#512398 - in reply to #512254)

Clutch arm is the culprit. If you take it apart and look at the little tab that bends up 90 degrees at the end, you'll see the edge is rounded over where it makes contact with the silver gear under the main drive gear. You can look up the part # on Abu's website. You'll need the number that is stamped on the underside of the reel seat to make sure you get the right version. Part #22807 sounds right, but you'll have to verify. I'd get a couple of them if you're planning on keeping the reel for awhile. They go bad often. I'll bet I've replaced a dozen of them over the years.
MartinTD
Posted 8/18/2011 1:53 PM (#512407 - in reply to #512254)

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't have a chance to pull them apart last night but I will tonight. I have taken these reels apart for cleaning and relubing several times so I would be surprised if it is just dirty but I will try simply cleaning them first. Otherwise, Knooter sounds like he's had some experience with actual part failure.
Thanks again and I'll let you know what I find.
Herb_b
Posted 8/19/2011 12:23 PM (#512576 - in reply to #512254)

After seeing this yesterday and commenting, I realized that I confused a few terms. Working to hard I guess. It is actually the pinion gear that moves up and down - not the main drive gear.

Anyway, I tore down my reel again with the same problem as Martin and inspected it more closely and this is what I found:
1. A very worn clutch arm. Didn't look that bad the first time I looked at it, but it is about used up.
2. A very worn drive shaft. The cogs are actually rounded off.
3. The piston assembly is rather weak and also needs replacing.

Sometimes, there can be more than one failing component. Especially when a reel is 16 years old and has seen thousands of hours of use.

I also inspected a 6500 C4 which has been causing trouble and that one is more of a mystery. The reel only reels freely if the drag is locked down. Loosen the drag and it suddenly becomes hard to reel. I'm thinking the backplate may need replacing. It seems the drift shaft holder may be bent and that is affecting how the reel operates. Don't know for sure what caused that. Maybe the reel got stepped on or something.

It actually is kind of fun tinkering with these reels.
Posted 8/19/2011 12:52 PM (#512578 - in reply to #512576)

Herb_b - 8/19/2011 12:23 PM
I also inspected a 6500 C4 which has been causing trouble and that one is more of a mystery. The reel only reels freely if the drag is locked down. Loosen the drag and it suddenly becomes hard to reel. I'm thinking the backplate may need replacing.

Check the plastic pinion yoke that holds the pinion gear in place. It may be cracked or have a piece broken out of it.
Herb_b
Posted 8/19/2011 3:49 PM (#512606 - in reply to #512254)

Good idea. I'll check that.

What is strange about the 6500 CI reel with the engagement problem, is it works for about two hours of casting after a good cleaning and re-lube before it starts to stop engaging. Seems it should fail right away or not at all.

It is pretty easy to see why the early CI reels (1994-1995) are so much smoother than the C3 reels. There is a screw that goes in the top of the drive shaft and a wide, toothed, spring type washer that fits on the bottom. The two parts, put together, hold the drive shaft very tightly so there is no play at all. All the later CI reels and the newer C3 reels (1996 and later) had was a simple little washer on the bottom of the drive shaft and a locking key on the top. The first way was much better in my opinion. That is why I keep repairing my CI reels and use them most of the time.

Time to order more parts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)