Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Manitowish Chain vs. Namekagon in Mid-Oct.

Message Subject: Manitowish Chain vs. Namekagon in Mid-Oct.
odk
Posted 7/9/2009 6:44 AM (#387735)
Subject: Manitowish Chain vs. Namekagon in Mid-Oct.

Doing a fall trip October 14th -18th. Extra thanks to all those that chimed in on my post about options for a Fall trip. I have narrowed it down to the Manitowish Chain or Namekagon based on lodging, proximity, big fish and numbers potential.

Now the question is: During the time frame of October 14th -18th which body of water would be better to hit for numbers, as well chance at a trophy: Namekagon or Manitowish Chain?

Thanks for the help!
Flambeauski
Posted 7/9/2009 11:12 AM (#387760 - in reply to #387735)
Subject: Re: Manitowish Chain vs. Namekagon in Mid-Oct.

I fish both that time of year. Horse apiece. Big fish tend to suspend in MC which can make them tough, water is clear on MC and lightly stained on Nam. I think the guys who fish Namekagon are going to tell you to fish there and likewise with the guys who fish Manitowish. Barring a massive cold front you can't lose with either one.
capt. ahab
Posted 7/9/2009 11:21 AM (#387762 - in reply to #387735)
Subject: RE: Manitowish Chain vs. Namekagon in Mid-Oct.

I wouldn't exactly call the water clarity on Island and Spider clear. Little Star seems to be the clearest that time of year, with Mani, then Clear. The great thing about MC is you can fish suspended, sharp breaks, rocks and weeds all on different lakes. Lots of options. I'd lean towards MC as I feel is might have a higher fish population. Steve Heiting films some of the Musky Hunter Vilas Co segments out there, for a reason! ; )
CiscoKid
Posted 7/9/2009 12:16 PM (#387772 - in reply to #387735)

At that time of year the water may not be so clear on either depending on where the turnover process is at. Great thing about the chain is all the lakes to choose from, and during turnover you can find each at a different stage. Just because the fish suspend doesn't mean they are tough!
Flambeauski
Posted 7/9/2009 3:24 PM (#387798 - in reply to #387735)

It does if you don't know the water or have good electronics. And I think we can assume by these posts Manitowish may have more pressure than Namekagon.
stonewallracing9
Posted 7/9/2009 11:32 PM (#387900 - in reply to #387735)

I fished MC last October for 4 days and I did not feel the pressure to be that great. Never saw another boat in Wild Rice.
sled
Posted 7/10/2009 6:17 AM (#387907 - in reply to #387735)

mid - late october musky fishing on the mani chain you won't be alone but there won't be anything that could be described as "pressure" either. sometimes i wonder if people believe half the crap that's written and posted.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/10/2009 6:37 AM (#387911 - in reply to #387735)

Knowing the water is helpful, but electronics are over-rated a bit in my opinion for fishing suspended (truely suspended and not structure related).

I agree with Sled. I would say Mani isn't much different in the Fall than other lakes. I can guarantee it isn't as busy as some of the lakes in the Eagle River area that time of year!
Flambeauski
Posted 7/10/2009 9:27 AM (#387926 - in reply to #387735)

Something else to consider, you can legally troll suckers on Namekagon.
odk
Posted 7/27/2009 7:35 AM (#390623 - in reply to #387735)

Sounds like the consensus is the Chain, however it doesn't appear too many people that fish Namekagon posted.

Where can I get good a good map of the Chain? I have the 2009 Navionics chip for my Humminbird 957's, but I would like to get a good map so I can scout it in advance.

Also, any of you guys on the cChain that weekend, October 15-18th? If so, let me know. I will be up there with 9-11 guys fishing hard, partying and possiblt getting into some poker.
Posted 7/27/2009 8:59 AM (#390638 - in reply to #387735)

This post is sponsored by Johnson Bank.

firstsixfeet
Posted 7/28/2009 11:35 AM (#390859 - in reply to #390638)

There is a lot more structural diversity and choices in the chain than exist in the Namekagen. This can work to your advantage if you aren't overwhelmed by it. Be very aware of what the water level is doing in the chain though, they do a fall dump, and that can affect fish position alot, and to my experience, drawdown as a short term effect is extremely negative for musky fishing. However, as pointed out, there are a lot of nearbye options for water at that time in that area. Also be aware that the fall dump causes rising water in the TFF and rising water is almost always good for musky fishing.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)