Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Magnum Willow Spinnerbait blade modification

Message Subject: Magnum Willow Spinnerbait blade modification
sworrall
Posted 9/7/2005 4:29 PM (#158815)
Subject: Magnum Willow Spinnerbait blade modification

Keith built a Violent Strike for me in June that was my hottest Goon bait, and turned out to be my most productive slop lure this summer in Wisconsin putting 12 in the boat since the end of July(tomyv has that one now, will be trying it out on those muskies with an eastern accent). The interesting thing about the lure is the modification the blade seems to require before the fish turn on the lure. I'm running this thing pretty fast most of the time if for no other reason because I have to to keep it out of the slop; something I feel the blade helps as well sluicing off the weeds better than a shorter profile blade. The bends are never exactly the same to get the same rod tip pop and ability to run it fast and high, as you can see in the attached shots, but are similar. Ignore the potato bag clip, that's to hold the blade sideways for the shot.

I cup the blade in the center by bending in the edges creating a higher riding bait. I then literally bend it at near center as well, which causes the rod tip to 'thump', something I look for in any spinnerbait. There is definitely a difference in the number of follows and hits. This is a big bait, by the way, over 10" including the trailer.

I do a similar bend to some of the larger Indiana blades I throw, too. Ever try this?

Thanks to Mr. Jonesi for the blades, Keith didn't have any that were painted, and I only had one at the Goon until Steve brought me some blades to convert magnum VS Spinnerbaits to Willow Mags.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN9491.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN9492.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN9491.JPG (73KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments DSCN9492.JPG (89KB - 130 downloads)
nwild
Posted 9/7/2005 5:33 PM (#158820 - in reply to #158815)
Subject: RE: Magnum Willow blade modification

SSSSSHhhhhhhhhhh!

I have tried this mod on Steve's advice. You won't believe the thump that blade puts out when you "kink" it.

Edited by nwild 9/7/2005 5:35 PM
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2005 7:51 AM (#158878 - in reply to #158820)
Subject: RE: Magnum Willow blade modification

Norm,
What size blade did you modify? Have you tried it on a smaller willow leaf blade yet? I have so few willow leaf style blades I haven't been able to try it on smaller lures. The recordings I did a few years back showed that the willow out of the package is really quiet. I need to try recording a few after the modification.
BALDY
Posted 9/8/2005 8:15 AM (#158880 - in reply to #158815)
Subject: RE: Magnum Willow Spinnerbait blade modification

Steve -

How do you find the right spot for the bend? Just bend it in different spots until you get the thump you want?
sworrall
Posted 9/8/2005 10:37 AM (#158893 - in reply to #158880)

Pretty much, yes, starting in the middle of the blade.
sorenson
Posted 9/8/2005 11:09 AM (#158909 - in reply to #158815)

I know these are fished through the heavy weeds due to their weedless nature, but what has been your experience fishing them in areas where weedlessness isn't really necessary? The thump is the same - going through weeds or not. In your experience are they still one of your first choices in areas w/ few or no weeds?
Sorno
nwild
Posted 9/8/2005 11:19 AM (#158913 - in reply to #158909)

Sorenson,
I am fishing these mostly over rock right now. You can feel that blade all the way through your forearm. You have to throw the blade before bending it to get the before and after effect, you won't believe it!

Steve, I am still using the ones I borrowed from you, they work so well I haven't tried any smaller ones. I am looking for more blades, if I find them before you I will let you know!
muskyboy
Posted 9/8/2005 11:43 AM (#158915 - in reply to #158815)

Cool modification Steve, I will give it a try
jlong
Posted 9/8/2005 11:51 AM (#158916 - in reply to #158815)

"Kinky" Spinnerbaits, ay?

Great tip.

jlong
lambeau
Posted 9/8/2005 12:22 PM (#158922 - in reply to #158815)

up at the Goon i did manage to secure a certain magnum brass willow blade from Slamr...

Edited by lambeau 9/8/2005 12:22 PM
Grass
Posted 9/8/2005 12:50 PM (#158925 - in reply to #158815)

I've been throwing the Mepps Giant Killer with the willow blade alot this summer. Has anyone tried this mod with the heavier Mepps blades?

Grass,
BALDY
Posted 9/8/2005 1:09 PM (#158929 - in reply to #158815)

not sure that mod is going to work with an inline?

probably just stop the blade from spinning...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)