Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> "back-of- the-boater"

Message Subject: "back-of- the-boater"
esox69
Posted 4/30/2005 5:17 PM (#145226)
Subject: "back-of- the-boater"

i find myself being a 'back-of -the-boater' on my first trip north this june. buddy has a new boat that we will be fishing from, so that puts me on the rear platform. so what do you guys do differently when in the back? any tips or methods to up the catches? i have done ok in front and as a middle man, but this is a new one for me being last in line.
thanks
steve
Shane Mason
Posted 4/30/2005 5:29 PM (#145228 - in reply to #145226)
Subject: RE: "back-of- the-boater"

I fish mostly out of the back of the boat including in my own boat unless I am by myself, and I still outproduce the guy in front most of the time. Just try to work your bait alot more aggressively, more rips, more twitches, and longer pauses than the other guy. By doing this you will turn alot more neutral fish into eaters just by triggering excitement strikes.

muskie! nut
Posted 4/30/2005 5:53 PM (#145229 - in reply to #145226)

I too fish from the back of the boat (mine as well as others). Like Shane said, make your bait more aggressive. The best way I know how is using your dominate hand on the rod when reeling, like most do when using a spinning reel. Imparting erratic action on your baits turns many fish into biters.
PK
Posted 4/30/2005 6:22 PM (#145232 - in reply to #145226)

I do pretty well out of the back of the boat....Pay attention to where the guy in front is casting....if he misses a hole, you better hit it....hopefully he's cool and will give you the first shot at a few spots. One other thing is hitting the spot he just casted at but wait till you can hit it from a different angle not the same one he used...you never know where those fish are set up....I've had fish go right after my partner in the front just had his bait in there but I hit it from a different casting angle.

As for presentation....I guess working the bait harder like the other guys said might work?? I don't want to work that hard to catch one of these dumb buzzards...I typically just try to throw something that complements what the guy running the boat is doing....If he's running and gunning with a bucktail I'm not going to be throwing a glider,suick or slow twitching cranks. I'd probably be throwing a Topraider or Bulldawg....something that I can keep up with and vice versa.

Hope this helps....
TROLLINATOR
Posted 4/30/2005 8:12 PM (#145237 - in reply to #145226)

I'll take the back of the boat anytime. you don't have worry about boat control.= more casts.
THE TROLLINATOR
Beaver
Posted 4/30/2005 10:05 PM (#145247 - in reply to #145226)

Throw something that he doesn't, and cast where he didn't.
Beav
sworrall
Posted 4/30/2005 11:02 PM (#145248 - in reply to #145247)

Fish hard, fish surgically, do what Beav said.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/1/2005 10:45 AM (#145268 - in reply to #145226)

"Leave It To Beaver" to summerize a hour's worth of truth in one sentence!
I always run my Esox Magnum from the back of the boat, including the trolling motor. There are 360 degrees around the boat, no matter how good the person or persons are in front of me there are always fresh areas to fish.
Mauser
Posted 5/1/2005 12:39 PM (#145280 - in reply to #145226)

Got to agree with "The Beaver" on this one, mix up you lure slection and don't throw the same thing your partner is throwing. If he's throwing a bucktail, throw a crankbait, if he's throwing a crankbait, throw a jerkbait, if he's throwing a jerkbait and you feel that's the best way to fish ( needing a slower presention for the conditions) throw a different style of jekbait. If he's throwing a diver then throw a glide or twitch a crankbait slower then you generally would. I think mixing it up is sometimes the key to finding fish. I don't own a boat and most of the time , the back of the boat is where I fish from. Lots of times the back of the boat is the "hot" seat , the first lure by a fish get their attention and the next one catches the fish.

Just my $.02 worth

Mauser
Beaver
Posted 5/1/2005 2:36 PM (#145289 - in reply to #145226)

One other thing that stands out in my mind when I think about being in the back of the boat, is being more target oriented. This is a place where a jig can be really effective. I spent a few days on the water with Sworrall running a weed edge, and he was throwing a spinnerbait and moving fast and covering water. I targetted spots that he didn't hit with twitch baits, top waters and more. But as it became sunny, I switched over to a Chompers weedless jig (just a basic weedless bass jig with a fiber weed guard and a 4/0 wide gap hook) and a Creature or other big plastic. This way Steve could run parallel to the weed edge to make his presentation most effective, and I would pitch my jig/plastic back into pockets, cuts, matted spots....anything that he missed that could have held a fish.
Let the guy in the front of the boat control the boat in a way that is most advantageous to his presentation, like running parallel to a weed edge, and you adapt or tell him you're gonna stick him with a Suick if he doesn't give you room to cast.
Also, be ready with a throwback lure. You can get a second cast out there faster than your partner most of the time.
Beav
The Handyman
Posted 5/1/2005 3:19 PM (#145292 - in reply to #145226)

There are some areas where you just cant get in position being in the back of the boat, period. I feel the front is the best spot, when not available I fish the opposite side as the guy in the front is throwing and fish different tools. Seems there are alot of positives being said, I still say the best shot is in the front!

Many times we do switch positions during a long day, just to keep it fair!

Edited by The Handyman 5/1/2005 3:21 PM
Posted 5/1/2005 4:28 PM (#145296 - in reply to #145226)

If your hitting shore line structure turn around and throw over the deep water. I love suspendos anyways!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)