Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Captains class a sucess

Message Subject: Captains class a sucess
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/28/2005 6:08 AM (#136854)
Subject: Captains class a sucess

Our captains class held at the Comfort Suites here in Waukesha was a huge sucess. 16 people signed up and all 16 passed. The instructors were top notch and left no doubt that we would be ready for the test when the time came. The team work and shared help was outstanding. Thank you Captain Bob and Captain Greg for all your hard work as instructors, teachers and friends.

This was one hard class to choke down in a week but we did it.

Congratulations to Captain Dan White, a fellow MuskieFirster and very cool guy.
C_Nelson
Posted 2/28/2005 8:03 AM (#136872 - in reply to #136854)
Subject: RE: Captains class a sucess

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!!

I found out about the success of the class from Dennis Radloff at the end of the Madison Fishing Expo yesterday. He did not have to say a word as he walked up to me while I was taking down the booth and gave me a salute with a very big smile. 16 out of 16 is FANTASTIC!! The instructors must have been pretty darn good to get that kind of a percentage to pass. The test is not easy at all, I will attest to that. A lot of info to absorb in just a short period of time.

Now just a few more things to do. 1) Get paper work filled out and sent in for license. 2) Get info from the Maritime Consortium for your drug testing program (best and cheapest). Get the info at www.maritimeconsortium.com. 3) Get boat supplied with all necessary equipment. 4) Get on the lakes with portable hair dryers and heaters to get the ice melted so you can use the license.

Great Job "Captains"! I probably do not know most of you, bu I am proud that you applied yourselves the way you did and met the great demands placed upon you.

Mike and Dennis, a big congratulations goes directly out to the two of you as I do know you guys personally.

Oh yes, remember that if the Coast Guard ever needs people for military purposes, you can get called up. I called St Louis after 9/11 and volunteered my services if they needed them, but they did not. I wanted to run one of those Zodiacs with twin 200's on the back and a 50cal mounted on the front. Thought I might be able to talk them out of one after I was done to chase down jet skiers and sailboats. LOL (JUST KIDDING ABOUT CHASING DOWN JET SKIERS AND SAILBOATS!!)

Chuck
Fellow Captain

PS: Do not forget to renew it every 5 years. They do not send out reminders!
Shep
Posted 2/28/2005 10:32 AM (#136891 - in reply to #136872)

Congrats, Captain Extreme One!

I am going to be in touch with Capt Bob, and see if he plans on having a class a little closer to me up here. Sounds like he was a great instructor, and you guys learned everything you needed to .

Got a feeling this will be a necessity for me next year.

Again, Congrats.
Netman
Posted 2/28/2005 11:41 AM (#136904 - in reply to #136854)

Congrads Catain Mike,

I hope that the class wasn't to hard on ya...Sanks said "He had to study for it". It stills goes to show ya that you can teach an old dog new tricks. I can see the neon sign now "Captain Mikes Extreme Guide Service". I hope there will still be a open seat on the boat?

Great Job,

Bruce
esox-dan
Posted 2/28/2005 1:36 PM (#136933 - in reply to #136854)

Thank You and Congratulations to you Captain Mike Koepp!!

Along with Capt. Dennis, Capt. Dan B, Capt. Bryan, and all the other now Captains that were in this Class!!

It was a pleasant distraction when we went on break to be able to shoot the breeze with each other. This class was NOT easy. We all participated in a great learning experience. We all asked a lot of questions because we wanted to learn. We all had a goal/destination in mind which at times was hard to keep in perspective when all this info was being thrown at us. For me it was like a roller coaster, some nights I left thinking... I understand, No Problem, I got this!! The next night I leave from there thinking what's this all about??????? I even met with my brother who has a degree in Mathematics who is also a Teacher to help me better understand the 60 D Street formula in configuring Set/Drift while plotting a course. From what I learned from him was learn the equations! The math is easy. It sounds easy now…but wasn’t then!
From Rules of the Road, to Deck General, to Navigation, to Safety, to Charting and Plotting. There was a tremendous amount of information thrown at us from Adrift to Zulu, and somehow managed to sink in before the Exams.

A Very Special Thanks to Capt. Greg and Capt. Bob your knowledge and experiences made our learning curve A LOT easier! It takes a teacher to teach, you are both teachers.
I will always look at a Captain a little different, now, knowing about what they know.
The learning experience was awesome and could be priceless.
Thank You!

To my fellow students;
Congratulations again! I’ll see you in the Masters Class!

Dan White
theedz155
Posted 2/28/2005 3:09 PM (#136953 - in reply to #136854)

Way to go Extreme...
I suppose we all gotta call ya Cap'n now.

Scott
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/28/2005 3:52 PM (#136958 - in reply to #136953)

Well said Dan......That was a LOT of info to digest.

I know that the teachers made the learning easer because they would go the extra mile for us. I came to class early each day and both of them were there to help with questions. What a great experiance....well I can say that now......maybe not 4 or 5 days ago.

All in all it was woth the time and effort..........Yes, Netman, I did study every day before and after class. Its been a long time since I had to work that hard to reach a goal.

Captain White, we will be fishing together this year. Plenty of storys to tell and lots of casts ahead of us.

Scott, your drift sock is going to be mine soon. I know there is a rule that covers the length of time that an object is left in someones boat. I think it was on one of the exam questions....Osmosis or something like that. LOL You just might have to come down and fish with me to get it back. Maybe Cave Run.

Chuck, a few more things yet to do.
First aid course, 5 panel drug test, phisical, 3 personal referances, and 90 days on the water in the last 3 years is all I need to do. Oh ya, the money part for the licence is $145.00 if I am correct. The 90 days would be just back to June of last summer(over 4 hours is a day).

The course will be held the same time next year with the same teachers. Exact dates will be posted when they are set. Captain Bob Parker lives in Pewaukee and he will be at the boat show again.

Happy days !!! NO homework !!!

I am going fishing tomarrow after work, game fish run till Sunday this year and the walleyes are hitting. I might just fish every night.......NO SCHOOL !!!
Beaver
Posted 2/28/2005 4:01 PM (#136962 - in reply to #136854)

CAPTAIN EXREME!!!!
Sounds like a super hero.
Way to go Mike.
Permission to come aboard?
Beav
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/28/2005 4:06 PM (#136963 - in reply to #136958)

Chuck, good call on the www.maritimeconsortium.com.

I just set up the deal for $65.00 at a place just down the road.

Shep, call Bob and he will help you get the info you need or get you on the list for the next nearest class. They only take a certain number of students. I don't think its over 20.

Permission granted Beav, anytime.

Edited by Mikes Extreme 2/28/2005 6:22 PM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/28/2005 5:33 PM (#136975 - in reply to #136963)

Capt Mike!- Congrat's! Most folks don't understand the work, caring and safety that goes behind fishing with a licensed Charter Captain, especially on big water. Hey, ya got a boat that floats, you're ready for Lake Michigan or Superior!- NOT! It's like SCUBA diving w/o a certification-> down right life threatening.

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/28/2005 5:41 PM
Jim Komar
Posted 2/28/2005 8:47 PM (#136997 - in reply to #136854)

Mikey,

I'm gonna have to be fed alot of beer before I call either you or Busch "captain"...........your wife maybe deserves that title

Dennis Radloff
Posted 3/4/2005 1:59 PM (#137653 - in reply to #136854)

Buschy, Dan White, and Mike,

I have an Adult CPR & First Aid class set up for Saturday April 2nd at the Waukesha Red Cross office on Silvernail. It will run from 9:00am til 3:30pm and will cost $62.00 per person and can be paid on site at the class. If you want to get in let me know so I can give a final head count to the instuctor.

Dennis
262-560-1309
www.sterlingmusky.com
[email protected]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)