Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The Musky Wars w/Larry Ramsell

Message Subject: The Musky Wars w/Larry Ramsell
mikie
Posted 7/12/2024 11:00 AM (#1029717)
Subject: The Musky Wars w/Larry Ramsell

Good podcast, lots of info. m
Larry starts abt minute 2.30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7t00Uk-Ng

carve out a couple hours

Edited by mikie 7/12/2024 11:23 AM
mikie
Posted 7/12/2024 1:11 PM (#1029719 - in reply to #1029717)
Subject: Re: The Musky Wars w/Larry Ramsell

The man is a national treasure. I had opportunity to briefly interview him for a magazine article - he helped found my Muskies, Inc chapter with Bill Crane - and I still like the quote he gave me:
“Muskies make all the rules, and they ain’t talking". m
sworrall
Posted 7/12/2024 1:42 PM (#1029720 - in reply to #1029717)

I'm pleased they followed through with the interview. I had been contacted about that group basically making jokes about muskie anglers (not that we don't deserve it) and suggested that they should get the whole story from one of the best.
R/T
Posted 7/12/2024 3:15 PM (#1029722 - in reply to #1029717)

I watched it last night. Very cool. Larry did a real nice job.

About 25 years ago I told one of my deer hunting buddies that they go about it all wrong. That taking the biggest racks out of the population is not helping the herd or your sport. Need to leave the big guys to keep the gene pool going and he racks growing. Told him they should be shooting tranq darts in to the big bucks. You would still get the picture. If you want to fill the freezer shoot a doe. I was just met with a completely blank stare and then a robust laugh.

Of course it was just a convo over a few beers and I didn't nor do I now know anything about deer. Just sounded like a good idea at he time.
North of 8
Posted 7/12/2024 3:26 PM (#1029723 - in reply to #1029722)

R/T - 7/12/2024 3:15 PM

I watched it last night. Very cool. Larry did a real nice job.

About 25 years ago I told one of my deer hunting buddies that they go about it all wrong. That taking the biggest racks out of the population is not helping the herd or your sport. Need to leave the big guys to keep the gene pool going and he racks growing. Told him they should be shooting tranq darts in to the big bucks. You would still get the picture. If you want to fill the freezer shoot a doe. I was just met with a completely blank stare and then a robust laugh.

Of course it was just a convo over a few beers and I didn't nor do I now know anything about deer. Just sounded like a good idea at he time.

Few years ago, I was hunting on my brother in law's farm after Thanksgiving. Saw a large bodied deer with a spike on one side and another growing down the side of his head. Since I was looking for a mature doe, let it go. Later, when I described it to him he said, 'I saw that deer when working up the food plot, wish I would have told you to shoot it, don't want those genetics around'. Made sense, deer was at least 2.5 years, probably 3.5 judging by body and head size but only a spike.
chuckski
Posted 7/13/2024 10:00 AM (#1029732 - in reply to #1029717)

I have all of Larry's books along with hundreds of other fishing books, but I also like books on history, logging, hunting, and ecosystems of the Northwoods. ( I want to know what's going on past present and future.)
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/13/2024 2:29 PM (#1029735 - in reply to #1029717)

Just read a thing on the Leech Lake Muskie rampage of 1955. What does everybody think the primary lure and way of fishing them would have been back then?
TCESOX
Posted 7/13/2024 9:25 PM (#1029740 - in reply to #1029717)

From what I've seen and read, dang near anything thrown in the water was getting hammered. Muskie lures were cleaned out of everywhere in the area.
Grass
Posted 7/15/2024 12:06 PM (#1029783 - in reply to #1029717)

Great Job on the Podcast Larry!
I have been listening to the Meateater podcast since day 1 and you did a great job telling the history and folklore of musky fishing!
Matt DeVos
Posted 7/15/2024 10:22 PM (#1029800 - in reply to #1029717)

Well done, Larry. I'm generally a fan of the MeatEater show/podcast. I think you did an admirable job explaining everything. As to the genetics and strain conversation, I still do have a few differences of opinion but overall, you are a tremendous asset and great ambassador to our sport and passion. Thank you for everything you've done
Larry Ramsell
Posted 7/18/2024 2:56 PM (#1029855 - in reply to #1029717)

Thank you all for the kind comments. I really enjoyed doing it. Great bunch of guys and gal and it was a lot of fun. The two hours went way too fast...I had enough material for six!

Matt if you would like to start a discussion on genetics and strains please do so. I would love to hear yours and others opinions and what you disagree with.
CincySkeez
Posted 7/25/2024 3:49 PM (#1029990 - in reply to #1029717)

Would really love for somebody to challenge the Allopatric vs Sympatric narrative, just to clear all the misinformation out there.

Those that dont agree with Larry, I have one question, how come the largest fish dont come from Minnesota or Wisconsin? Is it habitat, pressure or genetics?
sean61s
Posted 8/15/2024 2:26 PM (#1030297 - in reply to #1029717)

Great interview Larry!!! I am fortunate to have spent many hours in the boat with you!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)