Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> opinions on reels

Message Subject: opinions on reels
stephendawg
Posted 2/5/2003 1:39 PM (#58730)
Subject: opinions on reels

Here's a poor boy using less than a Calcutta.:( So, how 'bout a Catala and Corsair? I already own them and have been using them for musky fishing but never hooked into a big one. Biggest is a 36" pike on Vermilion. Some have expressed concern over the Corsair but I'd like your opinions on both. Thanks
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 2:33 PM (#58744 - in reply to #58730)
Subject: RE: opinions on reels

Dude, is the Corsair the Silver model or the Gold? I had to send me silvers back in exchange for the gold, and thus far have had no probs BUT--I haven't hung a big 'ski on mine either, just some 15-20lb rockfish. Some love them, some despise them. I mostly use a basic Garcia 6500, and I also have 2 Pete Mania reels from Bass Pro that I really like w/ no probs. I also got the older red plate Garcia 6000 that works ok. From what I've read, the 6500s seem to be the best deal for the $$. I'm sure others will come on here and bail us out!;)
* I just remembered I saw 2 ABU 7000s at the local Waldo Mart, and may grab one if I don't forget, which I probably will, $99.00...

Edited by Sponge 2/5/2003 2:36 PM
Musky Fever
Posted 2/5/2003 2:44 PM (#58747 - in reply to #58730)

dawg,

Spend your hard earned money on a Abu Garcia 6500, you can't beat them!!!!
stephendawg
Posted 2/5/2003 3:22 PM (#58761 - in reply to #58730)

Yeah, I know the ABU 6500's are great workhorses and I've never heard anyone complain about the Pete Maina series either. In fact, I've thrown both as loaners when I first started this transition from bass to musky. But, here I am with my "Silver" Corsair 200 (80#Power Pro) and my Catala 300 (80# Power Pro) and a BPS Pro Qualifier 1000S (50# Power Pro). The Catala is by far the heaviest reel I own. That's not to say I wouldn't love to have a couple of Calcutta 400's. But one thing at a time. So honestly, tell me your good and bad experiences with the 2 reels I currently own. Maybe if I'm lucky my wife will read your post and feel sorry for me.....(Here's hopin'). Thanks!

Edited by stephendawg 2/5/2003 3:30 PM
crazycanuck
Posted 2/5/2003 3:37 PM (#58764 - in reply to #58730)

You can't beat ABU 6500 for the money. I've been using them for years and have not had any problems. They can handle big baits and bigger fish. I prefer the 5600 for casting (it's smaller and easier to palm) but the anti-reverse is weak and could fail if you fish jerkbaits with any amount of enthusiasm (hard jerking). I have 2 5600s and one is flawless and the other has anti-reverse problems. You can gamble on a 5600, or play it safe with a 6500. However, you can't go wrong with a 6500!

If you do a lot of trolling and like using line counters, you can buy an electronic one that will install inside the reel (fits all right hand 5000 and 6000 series). You can set line type (mono, superbraid, lead core) line diameter/pound test, line out alarms, and it will even compensate for 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 full spools.

Keep your hooks sharp.
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 3:42 PM (#58766 - in reply to #58730)

Ok...the Silver series reel began to free spool on me on a figure 8; I had 2 of them, and both did this. Fortunately, and as usual, I saw no fish, so it was ok, but I sent them back to Shimano after calling them and told them what happened...I also put a note of explanation in the box, and they sent me 2 brand new Gold series reels. I think your wife would feel your pain if you spent all that $$ on a trip and lost the fish of a life time because of a humongo backlash! Tell her if she really loves you, she'll get you a 6500!;)
spieg
Posted 2/5/2003 3:42 PM (#58767 - in reply to #58730)

Im a big fan of the ABU 5x00 series. Never had a problem with my 5601C4. The 5x00 hold more than enough line too. I never really saw the need to go to a 6500 in a casting reel.

Options other than abu, check the axis series by shimano (japantackle.com has them, as does profishing.net as of today!). Japanese version of calcutta, a bit cheaper(~$140).

Or hit up ebay. I just got a new Daiwa cvx253la off ebay for just over $100. And the day after I bought it, a cvz253la popped up for $100(it has a reserve though). Not sure if you are looking for left hand retrieve or wacky retrieve. Either way, there are usually plenty of calcuttas to pick from on ebay.

Edited by spieg 2/5/2003 3:46 PM
tomcat
Posted 2/5/2003 3:55 PM (#58770 - in reply to #58744)

StephenDawg...it you are on a budget, www.jacksonlures.com/special
they have abu reels for cheap, and ABU stands behind these reels, 100% the money you spend on an Abu is probably some of the best money you can spend on musky fishing...and jacksonlures.com has great Abu's for even a better price...
tomcat
keep it reel...let me know if you need any help.
Tim Kelly
Posted 2/5/2003 3:59 PM (#58771 - in reply to #58764)

The anti reverse mechanism is the same on the 5*00 and 6*00 series ABUs. The one you're having the problems with may have too much oil or grease in the AR bearing (which is mounted in the sideplate under the handle). If you strip the reel down and clean out the AR bearing with some petrol and re-oil it lightly it should be OK. These bearings can give trouble particularly in cold weather if they have too much lube in them.
sputterbug
Posted 2/5/2003 11:34 PM (#58850 - in reply to #58730)

I concur regarding the Abu's. I have a 5601 and a 6501 (both C4) and like them a lot.

I owned a Catala that lasted one day before the gears started grinding and the thumb bar wouldn't properly release the spool about every 3rd cast. I hated it, but Rollie & Helen's were nice enough to take it back.
crazycanuck
Posted 2/6/2003 7:00 PM (#58952 - in reply to #58771)

Thanks for the info Tim. I stripped the reel down and cleaned the anti-reverse bearing and it seems to work ok. I guess I'll find out this summer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)