Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Go Pro - head mount

Message Subject: Go Pro - head mount
talmooner
Posted 9/6/2013 2:58 PM (#661699)
Subject: Go Pro - head mount

Well, I've been reading as many opinions and reviews on the GoPro and other similar hands free video units as I can and one question/answer I have not found is this:

How well does the headstrap work while one is wearing a fishing/ball cap?

I am going to Brazil for peacock bass the first week of October and want to buy a GoPro or similar unit and the head mount seems to be the preferred "mounting" method. My concern is I have never really seen how the headstrap works while the user is wearing a cap. Not wearing a cap is not an option as the sun is just too much to go without. You also really need to be able to regularly take off the cap to wipe down and often wet your head to help stay cool.

Will the head strap just be a big literal pain in the head?

I looked at the Vio but that seems out of my price range, as well as perhaps having the additional issue of the connecting cable?

Comments, ideas, opinions????

Thanks,
Talmooner
VonBraun
Posted 9/6/2013 4:54 PM (#661721 - in reply to #661699)
Subject: Re: Go Pro - head mount

For my gopro, I wear a baseball cap most of the time. On my head strap, I ended up buying the helmet front mount to add an extra bracket to get it further away from my head so I could still get the downward angle I wanted and not worry about the hat brim:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004536LUG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_...
Posted 9/6/2013 5:21 PM (#661726 - in reply to #661699)
Subject: RE: Go Pro - head mount

I wear my hat backwards with it. Seems to hold it in place better
toothycritter88
Posted 9/6/2013 5:26 PM (#661727 - in reply to #661726)

Make sure you either have the inflatable back or a tether tied to it tied to you. I was muskie fishing in may and somehow the mount on my headstrap just broke standing there and my camera fell into the water along with a 64 gig card then I fell in reaching for it, with my phone in my pocket...
Team Rhino
Posted 9/6/2013 9:46 PM (#661762 - in reply to #661699)

I personally like the VIO better for wearing on a hat. You barely notice it's there. The AA batteries are also much less expensive and last a bit longer. Just my opinion.
talmooner
Posted 9/9/2013 11:37 AM (#662100 - in reply to #661699)

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

VonBraun,
thanks for the tip on the extra bracket. That issue of the hat brim was one of my concerns and wearing the hat with brim to the back is no good as you end up getting fried by the sun in short order down there.

Toothy, holy K rap.
Tether AND inflatable back sounds like a must. Some folks do jump in the water there with no bad results, but I don't want to be the first one that becomes the headline: "Angler attacked by caiman while attempting to retrieve video camera."

Guest,
Backwards hat no good for me at least. The sun down there is so brutal I really need to keep the brim forward for the shade.

Team Rhino.
I looked at the Vio and generally liked it but the price and some comments about the cable being a kind of a pain to route and not be in the way while casting makes me worried. Can you share how you route the cable and where you bought your unit so I could talk to them?

Thanks to all,
Talmooner
sworrall
Posted 9/9/2013 12:25 PM (#662110 - in reply to #661699)

I use a couple VIO units, no issues with the cable being in the way. I mounted the camera to my hat brim, and routed the cable to the back of the hat. Comfortable, and I use rechargable AA batteries, works great. 2 hours per set of batteries. I carry the DVR in a belt pack at my left side. I also have the 12 Volt adapter for the cameras and use that mounted to a stand in the boat.
Team Rhino
Posted 9/9/2013 9:37 PM (#662238 - in reply to #662110)

Steve pretty much covered it. I route the cable over he top of my hat and keep it from moving by having it routed between the strap for adjusting the size of your hat. I normally drop the recorder down the back of my shirt and like Steve have a holder on my left side. It's much lighter on your head than a go pro. You can buy right from VIO. When I was at the Minnesota musky expo I saw most of the major Minnesota retailers had them. Check with Thorne Bros maybe.
MuskieSwede
Posted 9/10/2013 1:52 AM (#662258 - in reply to #661699)

The hat brim was never in my way at all fishing with a go pro for almost everyday this summmer.
I angled it down quite a bit with no issues
FAT-SKI
Posted 9/10/2013 9:44 AM (#662288 - in reply to #661721)

VonBraun - 9/6/2013 4:54 PM

For my gopro, I wear a baseball cap most of the time. On my head strap, I ended up buying the helmet front mount to add an extra bracket to get it further away from my head so I could still get the downward angle I wanted and not worry about the hat brim:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004536LUG/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_...

----

I have the floaty back door on mine so I did the same thing with the mounts to get it up higher and still get the angles I want. I did have the mount fail one time and that floaty back door saved my butt. That thing is awesome. get one if you dont have one.
talmooner
Posted 9/13/2013 12:33 PM (#662990 - in reply to #661699)

Steve and Rhino.
Does POV - VIO make a cap brim mount of some kind, or did you do your own? I checked the web site but did not find anything like that.

Also, is there any brick and mortar store where I might get a chance to see, touch, try the Vio? I live near the IL/Wi border, Fox Chain area specifically.

Swede,
thanks for the reply and comment on the no issues with the hat brim.

Fat-Ski.
Thanks for the reply. Another vote for floater. Are you using the head strap mount plain without the added helmet bracket mentioned by others?

Thanks all,
Talmooner
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)