Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Finally, first Illinois 'ski

Message Subject: Finally, first Illinois 'ski
fish4musky1
Posted 7/9/2010 10:22 PM (#449282)
Subject: Finally, first Illinois 'ski

Today was a unforgettable day, I got my first Illinois muskie, a fat mid 40" from the Fox River and also lost another low 40".

I have a few spots within the same stretch with some deep holes (>6') that I have been fishing for the past three years. The past two years I put tons of time (100 or so hours) into fishing them and I had no trace of a muskie, just a couple pike. This year I had very typical results until a month ago, I had a follow from a smaller fish and lost a nice 40" class fish in the same day. I wasn't completely sure if the fish I lost was a pike or muskie so I told my self the it was a pike to ease the pain. Shortly after that I started up a new job and was out of town a couple times and never got back out to fish until yesterday.

I arrived at the spot around 10 am and within a few casts to a log jam I had a nice 40" following hot on my llungen tail. The fish made a huge wake and splash as it turned away from my attempt at a figure 8 while wading. I continued to fish the same area and raised what appeared to be a different musky, a tad smaller but with a lot more color on it's sides. I fished all day and not another sighting, but I was excited to know their haunt.

I arrived this morning before work and threw a top raider for an hour or so. Had a blow up but no hooks. After a long day of work I arrived back to the spot. Started off with a musky marabou and quickly had a follow from the smaller, more colorful fish behind the log jam from the day before, I was definitely onto the fish at this point and it was just a matter of getting them to bite. Switched up to a 10 inch suick, the lure looked out of place in the river but it has done me well up north so why not here I figured. First cast to the log jam I raised the 40" from the day before, it appeared as I let the suick dead stick to surface, he just sat under the lure with it's mouth slowing opening and closing while staring at the lure, it was quite the sight. I continued to fish the area for a while and no more sightings so I moved on.

I walked downstream about 30 yards and made a cast when all of the sudden I had a fish! I set the hooks and the musky came to the surface tossing and turning and flipping like crazy, it appeared to be a 40 or so incher. After about 5 or 6 secs of a fight the 'ski jumped and tossed the lure. I couldn't believe it. I was devastated. I made few casts back to the same spot but knew it wouldn't hit again.

I continued walking downstream and made a cast to a likely looking spot. I made a few jerks with the suick and it felt like I snagged a log or something but I set the hook anyway, surprisingly it began to pull back! Another fish! I reeled hard and quickly a mid 40" muskie came thrashing on the surface. After a decent fight I had the 'ski to shore. It was hooked good and I waded in to get it. I had a very chaotic time trying to get a picture...I dropped my camera in the water and ruined it but the memory card still has the picture. I also have a poor photo on my phone. The photo is the best I could get while by myself. I was going to try and do the 10 sec timer but trying to hold the musky in one hand and the camera in the other didn't work to well (dropped camera). The musky swam away nice and strong, which was the best part. She was very healthy and fat. I noticed a small sore around her mouth and it had a small hook in it, it came out pretty easily and appeared quite old.

As you can tell, i'm quite excited, not only to have caught a nice musky, but also to have found such a good spot! The past couple days I have had some of the best musky action in the short 7 years I have been fishing for them, and it's in Illinois on the river I used to hate!

Edited by fish4musky1 7/9/2010 10:26 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P1040056.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1040056.jpg (41KB - 161 downloads)
Cast
Posted 7/10/2010 8:49 AM (#449310 - in reply to #449282)
Subject: RE: Finally, first Illinois 'ski

Congratulations. It sounds like an exciting day.
kevinj
Posted 7/10/2010 9:26 AM (#449314 - in reply to #449310)

Good read, Congrats!

muskiehunter2
Posted 7/10/2010 10:19 AM (#449322 - in reply to #449282)

great story,congrats on your catch.
MuskyFix
Posted 7/10/2010 11:30 AM (#449325 - in reply to #449322)

Great report.
jay lip ripper
Posted 7/10/2010 12:16 PM (#449330 - in reply to #449325)
Subject: Re: Finally, first Illinois 'ski

i enjoyed that
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/10/2010 7:41 PM (#449351 - in reply to #449282)

I really enjoyed your narration about your fishing trips. It's the kind of report I always try and get out of my fishing buds.

Hope you catch a bunch, and sounds like you are fishing a good area. Waiting for the next one.
fish4musky1
Posted 7/10/2010 8:01 PM (#449354 - in reply to #449351)
Subject: Re: Finally, first Illinois 'ski - ANOTHER ONE!

-

Edited by fish4musky1 7/10/2010 8:07 PM
fish4musky1
Posted 7/10/2010 8:04 PM (#449355 - in reply to #449351)
Subject: Re: Finally, first Illinois 'ski - ANOTHER ONE!

Thanks guys.

I got back out after work today with my girlfriend, I was hoping she would get her first muskie but it is very difficult to cast with a musky combo in this area... She does love catching pike (picture included, you can tell by the smile). I have lost many lures to trees and snags in the deep pools. She took a few casts with the muskie combo but mostly threw a larger rapala on spinning gear.

We fished over the area for an hour or so and nothing was happening. I threw a musky marabou, suick, and topraider for a while and decided to try a 7 inch grandma.

We were about to leave but I knew I needed to try the log jam once more. It was probably my third cast with the grandma, parallel to the log jam that has been holding the two 'skis, when the fish hit like a ton of bricks. I was giving the grandma long rips followed by a short pause and the fish hit in the middle of a rip. It was an exciting fight as the fish was rolling and jumping all over the place. It wasn't nearly as big as the one I landed yesterday but it was cool to have my girlfriend there to witness and the fish also swam away great. MY favorite part is watching them swim away.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_1672.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1672.jpg (50KB - 164 downloads)
fish4life
Posted 7/10/2010 8:48 PM (#449358 - in reply to #449282)

Congrats!! Keep it up!
Deb
Posted 7/17/2010 4:39 AM (#450384 - in reply to #449282)

Keep the stories and pictures coming...and make sure you put up a picture of your girlfriend when she gets her first muskie!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)