Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series

Message Subject: St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series
Beaver
Posted 10/2/2008 10:07 AM (#338929)
Subject: St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series

Got another shipment to take along to Vermillion, and I am just as impressed with the rest of the series. Now there is a 7'6" rod that will do the work of the St Croix 6'9". The Jerk was made for fishing heavy jerks and gliders, and the extra length is an added bonus that makes casting those lures much easier, and the added length makes fighting fish an easier task than using the 6'9". More powerful than the 8'6" XH, this rod is a must for anyone who pulls out the big lumber in fall, or anytime.
The 7'9" is just perfect for casting and retrieving deep running cranks, shallow cranks or for pulling lures like Jakes, Grandmas and Big games. If you crank DDD's or other deep divers, this rod takes much of the stress out of your hands and puts it in the rod. For yanking around minnow lures in the 9" range and smaller, it does the trick, but for the 10's and 13's, I'm sticking with the 8'6" H so I can make the longer pulls that I use with those lures.
You can now see the whole line in my boat at the Vermillion outing.....just do it at the dock, please.
Beav
hotlanta
Posted 10/2/2008 10:34 AM (#338936 - in reply to #338929)
Subject: RE: St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series

Hi Beav
I will be buying one, and only one, of the Legend Series rods this fall.
What would yours and others ideas be for the best all around rod? I don't throw rubber baits much, but just about everything else from 1 oz. spinner baits to DCG's. I also throw small and large gliders and crank baits. I do have a rod that handles the smaller baits real well so I need something for the bigger baits. Would the 7'9" H work well for the DCG type baits and also larger cranks like Grandmas and Believers?
Chris
Beaver
Posted 10/2/2008 10:51 AM (#338940 - in reply to #338936)

It might be too beefy for any other applications other than jerks and gliders. If I had to pick one of the ones that I have to use for DCG's and cranks and spinnerbaits, it would be the Slingblade 8'6" Heavy.
Beav
hotlanta
Posted 10/2/2008 1:02 PM (#338964 - in reply to #338940)

I am trying to get a rod that will fit in my Tuffy 1760 rod locker. Would the 8' MH be to light for the bigger cranks?
Chris
Beaver
Posted 10/2/2008 2:44 PM (#338979 - in reply to #338964)

Doesn't have the backbone that the 8'6" does.
The 7'9" is made for cranks if that is all you are going to use it for...spinnerbaits and minnow baits too....but I thought you were looking for heavier.
You better look at them all before you pull the plug.
Which ever you get, you won't be disappointed.
Beav
hotlanta
Posted 10/2/2008 3:14 PM (#338983 - in reply to #338979)

Beav
Thanks for the response, unfortunately there are very few tackle stores here in the south that carry musky tackle, and certainly not St Croix, so I have to learn as much as I can on the internet.
Thanks for Your Time
Chris
Beaver
Posted 10/2/2008 5:26 PM (#339004 - in reply to #338983)

Well, if you are going to be throwing bigger cranks and Grandmas, the 8'6" is the best one, you'll either have to cut 6" off, or drill a hole in your rod locker OR don't put it in the rod locker. My rod locker is full of Plano boxes.
Beav
Posted 10/2/2008 7:48 PM (#339021 - in reply to #338929)

Just figure out the longet length that will fit and have a custom made to that length.
Walt
Posted 10/6/2008 3:58 AM (#339391 - in reply to #338929)

I have the 7'9" and my son has the 8'6". I can throw just about anything with my 7/9 that he can with his 8/6. But I dont have a bad thing to say about either of them as to how they handle.
I cant believe my 7/9 handles the big jerks as well as it does. Cant go wrong with these rods!!
50inchGrinch
Posted 10/6/2008 10:37 AM (#339445 - in reply to #338929)
Subject: Re: St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series

Awesome rods. The 7'9 is an absolute dream for Cranks as Beave said. I use it for Cowgirls and mid-sized plastics as well. Matched with a Tekota lc. The action on the rod isn't the greatest for casting Cows, but it gets me around. If I could afford the whole lineup and get more specific I would. The 8'er is also an increadible rod. I've never felt more comfort then this rod with a Curado on it. It can't be beaten for tops n' tails! Kinda regreting not getting the 8'6 instead of the 7'9.

Oh yeah, ripped a cast with a jackpot and got 279' from the 7'9/Tekota combo. Sweet!

Darcy
lambeau
Posted 10/6/2008 10:51 AM (#339448 - in reply to #338929)
Subject: Re: St Croix Legend Tournament, The Rest of the series

i've got the 7'9 "Lip Stick" as well. it's a beautiful rod, and just right for diving cranks.
it is a pretty use-specific rod however, definitely not a multi-purpose stick. the moderate action means it absorbs the pull of diving cranks, but it's not a good fit for ripping plastic or jakes, and loads up too much for big bucktails.
i like it a lot for straight cranks, slower-action pull baits (weighted suicks), in-line topwaters and smaller bucktails.
it's been a few years since i owned a St Croix, and after getting this one i was impressed enough that i'll be adding more rods from that line to my collection.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)