Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Approach differences between Tigers and Pure strain?

Message Subject: Approach differences between Tigers and Pure strain?
muskiefishman
Posted 6/7/2007 9:49 AM (#259822)
Subject: Approach differences between Tigers and Pure strain?

I'm headed to a lake in New York on Saturday that is stocked with Tigers(they call them Norlunge) and it got me thinking. I've been muskie fishing pretty hard for the last 5-6 years, but my home lake doesn't have Tigers.

So my question to those with experiences with both....

Are there things you do differently when targeting Tigers then when targeting pure strain muskies?

Josh

Magruter
Posted 6/7/2007 9:52 AM (#259823 - in reply to #259822)
Subject: Re: Approach differences between Tigers and Pure strain?

I caught one over the weekend on a topraider if that helps.. But otherwise i know nothing.
sorenson
Posted 6/7/2007 9:59 AM (#259827 - in reply to #259822)

If the population structure is such that there is a good number of fish 30" and bigger, I wouldn't do anything much different that you would for pure strain. I would have a Baby Wabull with me though.
Spinnebaits, Mepps Muskie Killers (or similar bucktail of your choice), Muskie Treats, Perkettes, Reef Hawgs, Slammer cranks, jigs, Spring Dawgs, and Super Shad Raps have always been reasonably consistent producers for me.
S.
tcbetka
Posted 6/7/2007 11:17 AM (#259844 - in reply to #259822)
Subject: RE: Approach differences between Tigers and Pure strain?

Other than the Tiger muskies I have caught being more aggressive, I wouldn't say that there is anything different I've seen about catching them.

The only difference that I have ever heard of between a Tiger and a 'pure' muskellunge is that when you stick your arm in the net to unhook it, the purebred will only eat your fingers...but the hybrid will take the whole arm.

TB
muskymeyer
Posted 6/7/2007 11:21 AM (#259845 - in reply to #259844)

One good thing if you're fishing tigers, you can throw out night fishing for them so you should be fresh to fish during daylight hours. In other words get plenty of sleep and pound for them all day long.

Corey Meyer
JohnMD
Posted 6/7/2007 11:59 AM (#259856 - in reply to #259845)

I Have "NEVER" caught a Tiger at Night

tinley mike
Posted 6/7/2007 12:40 PM (#259861 - in reply to #259822)

The lake I fish is a stocked tiger lake with some pures in it and they seem to both chase the same thing -- big spinner baits -- top water -- the usual stuff except this lake gets trout stocked in the spring so we use lots of trout colors and do pretty well -- so you may want to check and see what else gets stocked in it.

mike
happy hooker
Posted 6/7/2007 12:54 PM (#259864 - in reply to #259861)

we have about 20 tiger lakes here in TC area
Ive always found at least in the TC area that tigers follow far less compared to purestrains
High vibration,Bright colors.
If you do have a tiger rush your lure at the side of boat, stop, pause, or slow it because when tigers come they usually mean buisness let them catch it.
spoons.
I've heard that the wisc guys swear by pink
musky-skunk
Posted 6/7/2007 1:02 PM (#259866 - in reply to #259822)

I'd go with happy hookers advice. They don't follow very much and when they are seen comming they will usually eat the bait so long as you get them to strike away from the boat by pauses and or twitching the bait. I've also found that they really like to explode out of no where when they take a bait.

High flash lures with losts of wobble or action, chrome baits work well, but most musky baits will catch tigers. If pike will eat a bait and so will muskies than a normusky outta as well. I've never tried them at night but I don't think its worth the effort.
gtp888
Posted 6/7/2007 3:03 PM (#259891 - in reply to #259822)

Tony Grant talked at the Muskies, Inc. meeting in April regarding Tigers. Daylight fishing is best as others mentioned. They act a lot like Pike, so Chartreuse is a good color to go with. They also like hot weather. Wish I could be of more help.

This is Tony's email from one of his websites, [email protected]. Maybe he'd be willing to share some tips with you.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/7/2007 3:18 PM (#259894 - in reply to #259822)

I've seen several of Tony's presentations at the shows and when he spoke to our club. I don't have my notes with me (yes I'm a nerd I take notes during seminars, LOL), but here's what I remember:

- The period from mid June to lte July is best
- There are 2 prevalent feeding windows: one in the morning until about 10:30 am, and another around 3:00 am (explains why people say don't bother at night -- they're all gone home before prime time)
- Target shallow water weeds, even work the inside edges in 2-3 ft of water
- medium sized bucktails and spinnerbaits work well, colors to try: Pink/White Gray/White Pink/Grey

Obviously Tony can tell you more. If I can remember I'll look at my notes tonight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)