Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Canadian Fishing: How many muskies are you catching

Canadian Fishing: How many muskies are you catching
OptionResults
1-2 muskies released in 1 week in Canada7 Votes - [9.46%]
3-5 muskies released in 1 week in Canada17 Votes - [22.97%]
6-10 muskies released in 1 week in Canada20 Votes - [27.03%]
11-15 muskies released in 1 week in Canada11 Votes - [14.86%]
16-20 muskies released in 1 week in Canada6 Votes - [8.11%]
20-30 muskies released in 1 week in Canada5 Votes - [6.76%]
more than 30 muskies released in 1 week in Canada3 Votes - [4.05%]
0 in 1 week, 27 in another, and any number in between3 Votes - [4.05%]
02 Votes - [2.7%]
Add your own option:

Message Subject: Canadian Fishing: How many muskies are you catching
d2bucktail
Posted 7/26/2006 5:29 PM (#202372)
Subject: Canadian Fishing: How many muskies are you catching

I've been fishing muskies in Canada a few times now with modest results until this year when we released considerably more than what we normally have. Just curious to know what your experience has been. Consider your Canadian fishing success and share your stats. Fishing seriously for muskies for a week, on average how many muskies are you and your boat partner releasing? Your answer should be the combined total for 2 people. In the posts for this poll, please share some of your best and maybe worst numbers you've ever seen and maybe include how big some of your muskies have been.

Edited by d2bucktail 7/26/2006 5:34 PM
Kingfisher
Posted 7/26/2006 8:09 PM (#202392 - in reply to #202372)
Subject: RE: Canadian Fishing: How many muskies are you catching

We went 22 for 28 in 4.5 days on the Canadian shore of Lake St. Clair eh. in all 14.5 days on the water off the south shore of Lake St. Clair we have boated 49 Muskies.Many over 40" including six 45's a 46 a 47 two 48's and two 49's. I lost one that was a real horse well over 30 lbs. Kingfisher

Edited by Kingfisher 7/26/2006 8:13 PM
sputterbug
Posted 7/27/2006 10:21 AM (#202449 - in reply to #202372)

6 in my boat on LOTW last week, 5.5 days. Biggest was 48.5 and lost a 50+ at net. Was my first time there, so I can't compare to previous years.
ManitouDan
Posted 7/27/2006 2:10 PM (#202491 - in reply to #202372)

Been fishing the Manitou for approaching 20 years, the last 10 concentrating on musky. The best fishermen in our group of a dozen or so people average about 3-6 per week per boat. Or 1-3 per angler . Take into account the most constient anglers get more like 4-6 fish per week per week and the least constient anglers get 1, 2 or zero. 2 weeks ago I got 4 fish , my fishing partner with equal years fishing the Manitou as me got skunked . My fish were 48, and 3 mid thirties. We had 16 guys in camp, fished for 6 days and around 29-31 fish were caught. Low quanity as compared to past years but quality was very good. A 50,49,48,47 ,46.5 and 2 45's were photed and released. Also fun to compare how other people do on an average weeks vacation to our friends up north. Hope this helps. ManitouDan
MuskyTime
Posted 8/2/2006 9:55 AM (#203306 - in reply to #202491)

I was up on LOTW between July 1 and the 14th. First week fishing alone released 42 fish. Second week with a buddy I released 25 and my buddy 23. Was the best trip to the woods over the past 7 years. I know many will think that I'm BSing but they were going crazy for me during that span.
Fisher
Posted 8/2/2006 11:36 AM (#203322 - in reply to #203306)

Muskytime-
What where you having the best luck on? Location and Lures??
Thanks for any info.
dogboy
Posted 8/2/2006 1:01 PM (#203333 - in reply to #202372)

just got back from sabaskong for a week, we had lost many many fish, but ending our weeks stay we put 12 in the boat 35-44 inchers, only had one crack at a big fish the first day we were there, lost her on a jump From what I was told at the bait store, the fish have been on a feeding frenzy for the last month or so. I thought maybe he was trying to sell us some baits, but he was right, the fish were ferocious! would have loved to be there another week.
MuskyTime
Posted 8/3/2006 8:09 AM (#203472 - in reply to #203322)

Hey Fisher,

My best 2 baits are Mepps Musky Marabou in pearl white blade, black white tail, and top raider in bullfrog. In the 2 weeks I was there, there were 98 fish caught from my boat and 87 were taken on MM Marabou's.

I fish the NW Angle and the area I fish encompasses about 25 miles from my resort (Angle Outpost)

It was just a good year this year because of the early warming of the water and low water levels seem to congregate the fish. Normally I boat on average about 17 fish a week.

Key to putting more fish in the boat is to always find fresh fish. For a long time I always had the same milk run, it produced fish but after a while a spot or spots just stop producing because of pressure. I just seem to know by the reaction of the fish on a spot if they have been caught or harassed recently. If they follow deep or lazy each time I fish a spot, I move on to new water and leave that spot alone. Spots can get burned out and you might see fish and even catch a couple but it's a good bet that all you are going to get is used fish. I also keep in mind areas from the past year or years that didn’t get as much pressure because of dirty water. There were spots this year that were not fishable the last couple years because the water was dirty from wind/rain or bloom. This year the water was clear in these areas and I took advantage of fresh fish that were mot pressured. In fact no one else was in the area I was banging the heck out of fish. I also have milk runs of less popular spots rather than milk runs that everyone else has. Not to say that the obvious spots are no good, it all depends on pressure. The first week the most popular spots were completely mine to fish and there was no other pressure. I had a blast fishing all the really good spots and having them to myself. Very strange this year in that the first week of July there was much less pressure than what I normally see.

I did get some nice fish as well including a couple 45’s 46’s 47’s a 49 and 52. I just seem to have a knack for finding fish on that body of water? I do put on many miles as well and reach out to areas that are out of the comfort zone of the average fisherman. This year was just perfect for hitting active fish in early July

Ed
Schuler
Posted 8/12/2006 4:47 PM (#204742 - in reply to #202372)

Had my first canada trip this summer to eagle lake...0 muskies, 2 missed and 2 follows. Caught 1 in Illinois a week later...figures.
woodieb8
Posted 8/12/2006 4:56 PM (#204743 - in reply to #202372)

we fish st clair. on a good week you can do serious numbers. i personally like the fall fishery where a few 50s are the norm and they are fat.
Muskie Rob
Posted 8/12/2006 9:05 PM (#204759 - in reply to #202372)

Just got back from Wabigoon and say a nice 35" plus on my 3rd cast of the trip. Happened to be my last. First time in 7 years that the entire group got blanked while muskie fishing. But I did manage to lay into tons of walleyes and a 27" at that. I also caught a couple of smallies which topped out at 18" or bout 4lbs. Slayed the northern as well, everyone went home with their limits on Northern. As for the muskie, we couldn't come up with them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)