Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tuffy livewell help

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tuffy livewell help
ToddC
Posted 6/10/2004 3:54 PM (#109302)
Subject: Tuffy livewell help

I have a Tuffy Marauder and the livewell seems to leak. When it is filled, water always seems to leak into the pump area next to the livewell and then into the bilge area. I completely tore out all the hoses and put in new along with a new livewell pump thinking the leak was coming from there. If I don't use the livewell it is as dry as a bone. I think the problem is in the livewell design itself. I think Tuffy used a two piece clam type livewell and caulked between the two halves and more than likely the caulk or silicone is gone. I have tried to resilicone it but it has not worked. Any help would be appreciated. Steve W are you out there???? Are there any options short of tearing out the whole thing and redoing it???? Thanks....ToddC
esoxsmd
Posted 6/10/2004 5:31 PM (#109315 - in reply to #109302)
Subject: RE: Tuffy livewell help

Hey Todd,

Have you looked at the overflow connection? If it is only when the livewell is full, that may be one of the areas to look. I'm going to head out and take a look at my livewell to see if anything else stands out.
Do you have the 60" livewell in that marauder?
esoxsmd
Posted 6/10/2004 5:58 PM (#109320 - in reply to #109302)

I just checked mine, and it looks like a two-piece. You should be able to get some marine goop around the seal with your finger??

Edited by esoxsmd 6/12/2004 9:09 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(LW1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments LW1.jpg (26KB - 87 downloads)
MuskieFIRST
Posted 6/10/2004 6:18 PM (#109324 - in reply to #109302)

ToddC,
While the boat is on the trailer, plug all the holes including the drain, overflow, and fill hose and fill the livewell with water from a garden hose. Watch in the access areas as the well fills for the water to begin coming through, and you will find, and then be able to fix the leak.
ToddC
Posted 6/11/2004 9:43 PM (#109534 - in reply to #109320)

E-MD,

Yeah its the 60" livewell. It's the same as your pic. I tried the marine goop (silicone) thing with my finger but it didn't work. I don't understand why Tuffy would not just put in a one piece livewell to begin with. I may either have to not use the livewell or tear out the whole thing and redo it the right way.
sworrall
Posted 6/12/2004 8:42 AM (#109546 - in reply to #109302)

There isn't a 'two piece' well there; it is a livewell tank that is attached to the liner glassed into the deck and sealed with silicone. The seam you see is between the tank and the deck liner. Did you read the earlier post about finding the leak? Try what was suggested with the boat on the trailer and watch in the access area for water to begin dripping. You will find the culprit area that way. 'Tearing it out' isn't a good option, finding and fixing the leak is. Where are you located? What year is the boat?

The livewells in the Esox (The Marauder was renamed 'Esox' about 10 year back) are set to the liner now and glassed directly to the molded opening. My bet is this is an older boat that had a glassed wood deck, and the livewell liner/tank glassed to that to reduce water exposure to the resin coated wood sidetanks. The new models are all composite, and the liners built differently as a result. If there was no liner in your boat, you would be reaching into the livewell through a rough cut opening in the side tank. That would be bad, take my word for it.

This is very fixable, just need to identify where the water is coming in. The method used to seal that unit was not only the 'right way' back then, it was the only correct way to install a fiberglass livewell in to wood side tank construction.
ToddC
Posted 6/12/2004 4:51 PM (#109568 - in reply to #109546)

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. It is a 1988 boat and apparently it have problems before I bought it a couple years ago. I had to replace the deck directly above the access area due to the wood had rotted from all the moisture. It was really mushy. I replaced the wood from the inside with small strips of treated wood and then epoxied it into place. I do think it was the one you talked about having a glassed wood deck. I have not filled the livewell up yet to check it for leaks but will be in the next day or so. If it is leaking between the seam, how will I get silicone behind the pipe in the right corner that is connected to the livewell pump? It is too small of an area to get a goop filled finger behind it. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted as to the leak.
Todd C
Posted 6/12/2004 4:55 PM (#109569 - in reply to #109302)

Steve,

I didn't give you my location. I live in central IL and do spend a lot of time up in your area between Rhinelander and Tomahawk. I usually am up there once or twice a month year around. Thanks again
kevin
Posted 6/12/2004 8:19 PM (#109577 - in reply to #109302)

Hey Todd, had the same deck problem on mine, mine is a '83 Rampage. Wish whoever owned it before me had heard of "Boat Tarps"...lol... I have one soft spot on the main floor right now, but oddly below the soft spot it is solid, like the fiberglass only lifted off the wood... Kinda weird...
sworrall
Posted 6/14/2004 5:56 PM (#109740 - in reply to #109302)

If you are going to be in the area, stop by and I will help find and seal the leak!
ToddC
Posted 6/14/2004 11:23 PM (#109791 - in reply to #109740)

Steve,

Thanks for the offer of help, I may need it. I'll be up this week however I'm not bringing the Tuffy. I'm hauling up a 14 jon to leave at the cabin to use as a skinny water river/guest boat. I will have the Tuffy up over the 4th and again July 14 - 25th. If I can't get it sealed before I come up, I'll give you a shout. Thanks again for going the extra mile, it doesn't go unnoticed...............TC
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)