Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring - How do you get your boat ready?

Message Subject: Spring - How do you get your boat ready?
SharpHooks
Posted 3/10/2003 6:30 AM (#63104)
Subject: Spring - How do you get your boat ready?

My first time on the water is less than 4 weeks away. I am hoping this next weekends warming trend will at least melt enough snow that I can get my boat out of storage and get it back into my garage for spring check out and maintenance. 

What do you to to get your boat ready for the season?

Thanks

Peter

Edited by SharpHooks 3/10/2003 6:32 AM
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 3/10/2003 6:41 AM (#63106 - in reply to #63104)
Subject: RE: Spring - How do you get your boat ready?

Hopefully I remembered to do everything before winter. This weekend I will bleed the brakes on my trailer to purge any rust that may have accumilated.

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 3/10/2003 6:43 AM
sworrall
Posted 3/10/2003 7:26 AM (#63116 - in reply to #63106)

I always used to wax the rig, twice, before it hit the water in the spring. Carpet treatment to reject stains is also not a bad idea. Wax the lower unit on the motor, and the prop. Treat the seats with a good vinyl protectant until they won't absorb any more.

Check the bilge, clean out any goobers.

Pack her up, make sure the first aid kit and flare kit are up to date, get a fresh bottle of aspirin and a spare pair of sunglasses. Check to see that the release tools are lubed up, and ready to go.

Make sure the oil unit is full, fill the gas tank, and GO!

JohnMD
Posted 3/10/2003 7:59 AM (#63130 - in reply to #63104)

Tighten all nut, bolts screws,
grease, oil, silicone anything that moves ( Or is supposed to move )
Make sure all switches work
Check Docking and anchor ropes for wear and weak spots
Check Batteries for proper water level & Charge
Check Bilge pump for proper operation
Check Livewells & hoses for leaks, check pumps
Wash & Wax Exterior
Treat all interior Vinyl seats & parts with Armorall
Clean Carpeting and treat with scotchguard
Check trailer Bearings
Check Tires for wear
Make sure trailer lights are still working
Plus a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I forgot to mention

rpieske
Posted 3/10/2003 1:03 PM (#63197 - in reply to #63104)

Work the mechanicals first..engines, trolling motors, electronics, trailers. These are the items which could take a while to have fixed in the spring. Charge up all batteries and test the trolling motors for operation. Remove the prop, inspect and check behind for line. Start your gas motors (with earmuffs for water)AFTER checking the lower units and replacing the lower unit lubricant. Replace spark plugs every spring unless you changed them late in the year. Lub all the grease points on your motors. Check the trailer lights, grease the wheel bearings and check the brake fluid/brakes. Inspect tires, wiring harness, running lights, anchor light, aerators, fuse panel, horn, check steering and lub. Turn on your locators and GPS to check. Inspect your anchor, chain and rope. Check boat for gel coat damage or loose rivets. Check bilge pumps including the automatic one with a float. Sometimes the float can go bad over the winter and that could be a problem if you have torrential downpours and your boat is in the water tied to a dock. Check your first aid kit, tool kit, spare parts, and other supplies you normally carry. Inspect interior of boat for maintenance needs; i.e. carpet repair, paint, corrosion, etc. Check your radio and VHF if so equipped. Run injector cleaner through your gas. If needed, put an additive in to remove condensation in your gas tanks. Clean out the bilge area of all the crap that accumulates there through the fishing season, like old line, cardboard, cellophane, dead bait, grease, etc. It's nice to start each year with a clean boat. It keeps stuff from messing up your bilge pump screens. Inspect your boat cover for wear and tears. Remove any rust on the trailer and repaint as needed. I know I've probably missed some things, but this will give you a good start.
Semper Fi
Bob Pieske
MuskyPippo
Posted 3/10/2003 6:25 PM (#63231 - in reply to #63197)

Steve & John,
What are you guys using to clean the carpets? I know there is a ton of household products, but just wondering if there are any worth a mention..

Thanks,

-Phil
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 3/10/2003 8:04 PM (#63242 - in reply to #63116)

Steve, are those synthetic or natural biodegradable "goobers"?
I always learn something when I'm around you!
ghoti
Posted 3/10/2003 8:48 PM (#63255 - in reply to #63104)

I didn't see anyone mention something that could get you in trouble with the law. Check your fire extinguishers for a full charge. Those that are low are just as bad as none, as far as the Man is concerned.
JohnMD
Posted 3/11/2003 7:15 AM (#63276 - in reply to #63104)

MuskyPippo: I use the same stuff my wife uses in the house (Bissel Carpet cleaner)but I think just about any carpet cleaner would work, after the carpet is dry I treat it with scotchguard to help keep stains away

sworrall
Posted 3/19/2003 12:22 PM (#64237 - in reply to #63104)

The warm weather here has caused the appearance of boats in driveways EVERYWHERE! Good information. Let's get them polished up, and ready to splash.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)