Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Thinking about taking up fishing for musky? Turn back NOW before it's to late
- (Added by: Jomusky)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> My 1st Airbrushed Lure!

Message Subject: My 1st Airbrushed Lure!
Grey Ghost
Posted 5/30/2012 12:12 AM (#562506)
Subject: My 1st Airbrushed Lure!

Hello Everyone, I have almost finished my first airbrushed lure. I still need to add the black/blue gill plate on my version of a Bluegill and also need to do eyes. I will be playing around with making an eye in a 3/4 inch diameter, which I plan on building up with epoxy to make it "pop". That is next to do. Once finished with those two items, it is time for topcoat. I'll be using ETex Lite in 2 coats. I have a question on this. I plan on adding a light finish of this sparkly laquer clear paint that has irridescent blue and green glitter (VERY small, micro). I figured I'd put on top coat #1 with Etex Lite, let it turn to cure, then spray on that clear glitter paint. Then put on top coat #2.

Question on the Etex and coating over laquer based materials. Do you think i'll need to do any primer to ensure proper bond?
Grey Ghost
Posted 5/30/2012 12:39 AM (#562509 - in reply to #562506)
Subject: Re: My 1st Airbrushed Lure!

Grrrr. Having trouble posting a pic of my lure. Will follow up with it later

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Lure 1 Resized.jpg)

(Lure 4 Resized.jpg)

(Lure 3 resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Lure 1 Resized.jpg (56KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments Lure 4 Resized.jpg (66KB - 116 downloads)
Attachments Lure 3 resized.jpg (63KB - 113 downloads)
MuskyLureFreak
Posted 5/30/2012 9:38 AM (#562536 - in reply to #562506)

looking good
ShutUpNFish
Posted 5/30/2012 12:28 PM (#562561 - in reply to #562506)

I like the hazy metallic look of it...nice job for #1!
Grey Ghost
Posted 5/30/2012 2:21 PM (#562585 - in reply to #562506)

Thanks! The hazy effect is likely due to my poor quality camera phone and lack of clear coat. Also, the back half is lightly coated with a metallic gold.
ll createx paint. Started with a pearlized white for base coat, followed by a pearl yellow, then built up on sides with transparent light green followed by transparent forest green on the back. Then did the scale pattern & bar pattern with irredescent purple on sides and back. Then did irredescent turquois on the back and slightly down the sides and around the eye's and gill area. Finished up the breast with a pearl orange. Finally, I added a final smal scale pattern for the tail half of the lure with pearl gold.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 5/30/2012 2:41 PM (#562588 - in reply to #562585)

Looks very nice and well done, esp. for your first one. When you clear coat it that will bring out the clarity for you and it will look real sharp with the color combo you have on it.
newmuskyz
Posted 5/30/2012 8:31 PM (#562630 - in reply to #562506)
Subject: RE: My 1st Airbrushed Lure!

very nice job. i like the orange blend to the belly and when i looked at it i could visualize the clears really making it look nice. i like it! be sure to put some final finish pics up.
esoxone
Posted 5/31/2012 11:49 AM (#562702 - in reply to #562506)

Good Job,Kris !!! You're going to the right way !!!

esoxone
Grey Ghost
Posted 6/1/2012 11:40 PM (#562993 - in reply to #562506)

Alright! I finished making the eyes last night and just finished the topcoat. I learned 2 things last night and tonight.
1. Making your own eyes w/epoxy build up is a pain in the rear. Biggest issue was holding the stencil I made over the sticker to get a good clean black pupil. I must have ruined a dozen eyes in the process.

2. That clear coat really makes a difference in the colors. Especially with the irridescent colors and the pearls.

I'll post an update after it fully cures. I also have another 2 baits ready for paint. One will be a perch pattern. I was playing around with mixing different colors. That was fun, colors are limitless with a little of this and a little of that with the mix. I'm loving this! Thank you all for your kind reply's. I really appreciate it. I have been "lurking" on here for 4 years or so just admiring all your work. About time I started myself, and I'm happy I did.
Pikopath
Posted 6/2/2012 2:04 AM (#563001 - in reply to #562506)

Black electrical tape, and a set of hole punchers, makes it alot easier to make the pupils. Michael

edit: I really like the colorscheme on that lure also. 

Edited by Pikopath 6/2/2012 2:08 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)