Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> power handle vs regular handle

Message Subject: power handle vs regular handle
midnight1
Posted 3/7/2010 10:59 PM (#427562)
Subject: power handle vs regular handle

what are the pros vs cons of one over/vs the other? always fished the double handle and never a power handle. TIA
bassinbob84
Posted 3/7/2010 11:11 PM (#427564 - in reply to #427562)
Subject: Re: power handle vs regular handle

the power handle should be bigger than the double, if its not its pointless. it makes a bigger circle so less force is needed to reel in a lure. the way i understand
reelman
Posted 3/8/2010 8:39 AM (#427596 - in reply to #427562)

Generally the single handle has the same radius as the double handle but the actual paddle is larger. While it doesn't sound like a big deal I have found that it makes retreival much easier.
FEVER
Posted 3/8/2010 9:20 AM (#427609 - in reply to #427562)

The power handle has made a difference on big bucktails to me.
Good Luck, Tom
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 3/8/2010 11:16 AM (#427629 - in reply to #427562)

First thing I do when buying a reel is add a power handle. It allows me the ability to put extra torque on a retreive or on a fish when needed. plus I like the bigger knob, its more comfortable and is easier to crank on with gloves on the cold days
Herb_b
Posted 3/8/2010 1:11 PM (#427660 - in reply to #427562)

I think the length of handle arm depends on the reel manufacturer. The power handles are noticably longer for ABU, but I don't know about many other reel brands.

I have power handles on all my reels and they have made a huge difference for me. I used to have terrible problems with my reeling wrist and had to wear a wrist brace just to make them somewhat useable. Can you say "carpal tunnel"? The wrist problems were eliminated immediately after getting the power handles.

I like the new ABU power handles better than the old ones and am upgrading my ABU reels with the new handles as my old handles wear out. The more rounded handle seems a little easier to hold onto when one sets the hook.

Good luck.

Edited by Herb_b 3/8/2010 1:14 PM
FishHateMe
Posted 3/8/2010 3:36 PM (#427684 - in reply to #427562)

I have power handles on two Calcutta TE's. Make sure you are getting the ones made by Shimano that DON'T have the counterweight, as the ones without have a longer radius to provide greater leverage.

The difference is night and day with Double 10's, but so much more comfortable for other baits as well. As mentioned, the bigger paddle is very nice and comfortable to fish with.
Propster
Posted 3/8/2010 10:06 PM (#427766 - in reply to #427562)

If you get the one without the counterweight you need to be even more careful of the handle position during casting, as you will have greater likelihood of premature free spool shutdown
jakejusa
Posted 3/12/2010 11:21 AM (#428479 - in reply to #427562)
Subject: RE: power handle vs regular handle

The world needs a real power handle. The oversized lenght version. The factory ones are Ok but if I found the maker of a good quality longer power handle or even a double paddle handle I would switch out everything I have. Funny someone out there isn't producing one.
Tackle Industries
Posted 3/12/2010 12:45 PM (#428494 - in reply to #427562)

Fish for 10-16 hours with the smaller handle then the next day change over to a power handle. IMO you will notice a hugh difference. Power handle all the way for me.
James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)