Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> hook ups on large bucktails

Message Subject: hook ups on large bucktails
eric001
Posted 7/9/2009 9:03 PM (#387851)
Subject: hook ups on large bucktails

weather its a dcg, tinseltail, whatever-    when you guys/gals get hooked up do you find its on the front or rear treble?    it seems like for me casting its on the front,  due to the hook up at the boat- and trolling its on the rear hook-------- do you see the same results? do you think that a fish that gets hooked on the front is activley feeding, and a hookup on the rear is a nipper/curiousity?   what are your thoughts/ also when trolling dcgs do you like them 0-5' down or deeper, what have you had the most sucsess on?  ive found that I get most at or just below the surface---

Edited by eric001 7/9/2009 9:04 PM
bassinbob84
Posted 7/9/2009 9:34 PM (#387862 - in reply to #387851)
Subject: Re: hook ups on large bucktails

is seems i hook quite a few on the rear treble but the lakes i fish see lots of bucktails so they follow for a while first.

as for trolling i cant tell you. i dont really ever troll
Beaver
Posted 7/9/2009 11:49 PM (#387901 - in reply to #387862)

I make all of my own bucktails and have for years. In the 30 years that I've been doing it, I've never put more than one hook on the lure and see no reason to use more than one. Bucktails are easy for them to hit, and the hook-sets are normally solid as a rock. The body of the lure is basically metal and will slide through teeth easily leaving plenty of room for one hook to make contact with meat.
I've fished with guys who used 2 hook bucktails, and I see fish lost and lousy hook-ups for a simple reason. One hook will hinder the hook from getting buried completely because it is partially buried in one area already. You wind up with 2 hooks partially buried instead of one hook buried solid. When I worked on a Lake Michigan charter boat, we made sure that all of our lures only had one hook on them, and all of our spoons had a single Siwash hook. I'm a firm believer that one hook is all that you need on a bucktail, and almost all of the hook-ups are solid in the corner or top of the mouth. Also you don't wind up with the second hook doing damage that you don't want, like ripping gills or taking out an eye when a fish rolls in the water or in the net. One good sized hook hanging within an inch of the end of the body is all that you need. My opinion.
Beaver
mota
Posted 7/10/2009 4:18 AM (#387906 - in reply to #387851)

beaver very good point of view,not sure for the one hook for a big bucktail,but single hook,is what i like most.
do you prefer the gama siswash or the vmc?
Junkman
Posted 7/10/2009 7:36 AM (#387914 - in reply to #387906)

It's no secret that I like the DCG's (and no, I don't get them at a discount) and also no secret that I believe the offset front hook to be the crown of that acheivment. Clearly, it's the twin #10's that create the vibration that changed musky fishing like nothing since the Bulldawg showed up. That said however, it's that front hook that will often be the difference between a strike and boated fish. I had to buy an entire supply of #7-0 trebbles to replace the ones that I needed to cut up in order to free a fish from their grip--sometimes all three points firmly holding a mouth closed like a clamp. Everybody sells copies of the bait (I'm sticking with the originals except for a few #14's I made myself) but if you choose the ones without that front hook--you will have less fish in your boat. Marty Forman
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/10/2009 8:05 AM (#387916 - in reply to #387906)

First thing to do with a DAWG is to cut the big main body hook off flat with the body, this improves the hookup , I have never had a client loose a fish on a Dawg with that hook cut down like that. The same thing with in line bucktails.One hook is all you need. The smaller the hook the less troubel you have. I have been making my Muskie Duster for 45 years and the only reason it has the front hook is that I use it to mount My feathers on the bait. I had buyers say that they cant replace the frount hook, I tell them to just cut the hooks down and go fish.,as far as big bucktails the BIG EagleTail with the two singel hooks is the best bucktail every made all I do with them is sharpen the hooks, They take big fish every year. Marv.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/10/2009 11:48 AM (#387955 - in reply to #387851)
Subject: RE: hook ups on large bucktails

If you are buring them ONE HOOK is all you need, when you slow roll them maybe, but at night I have been fishing with only one -the back one on my DCG10-13 because I will have less hang-ups and weeds at night casting blindly.
esoxfly
Posted 7/10/2009 8:17 PM (#388026 - in reply to #387851)

The 50" I lost today at the boat was hooked on one point of the back hook. It held her with all of her thrashing and two dives, but then about to the net she rolled and spit it. Would've liked to have had a couple more in her....
Muskyhunter247
Posted 7/10/2009 11:49 PM (#388049 - in reply to #387851)
Subject: RE: hook ups on large bucktails

For me I've found that the bigger fish are almost always hooked on the top hook and the smaller fish are hooked on the rear hook, when casting. When trolling almost every fish I have caught has been hooked on the rear hook. I don't troll DCG's much but I do troll smaller bucktails and I like them to get down 10 to 15 feet.
Muskerboy
Posted 7/11/2009 7:18 PM (#388126 - in reply to #387851)

I only use one hook, all you need and you don't take out an eye, the only problem I see is if the fish t-bones it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)