Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lamiglass Rods Advice

Message Subject: Lamiglass Rods Advice
ranger6
Posted 8/28/2008 8:38 PM (#333952)
Subject: Lamiglass Rods Advice

Any opinions? Never owned one, but I tried out an 8'6" XH today and was really impressed. Not heavy enough for big dawgs, but had a real nice feel for Bucktails and such.
Big Perc
Posted 8/28/2008 9:18 PM (#333965 - in reply to #333952)
Subject: Re: Lamiglass Rods Advice

I have an 8"6 Extra heavy and I love it for throwing/slow rolling big bucktails, twitching cranks, or sometimes in trolling applications...I have caught several fish on it as well and it handles them like a champ...of course the biggest one was only a 45.5" but still I think it is a great rod...wish it had a bigger forehand but other than that I love it...

Big Perc
CiscoKid
Posted 8/29/2008 12:21 PM (#334054 - in reply to #333952)
Subject: RE: Lamiglass Rods Advice

I use the 8'6" X-Heavy, and the 9' "Ricky Stick" exclusively. Hands down the best rods I have ever thrown. What makes them the best is they are heavy enough action to throw and work big baits, but the tip has enough flex in it for fighting fish. Rods are getting too stiff now days and it is much tougher to keep fish on with those. The Lamiglass rods are great for keeping fish on once they are pinned.

The 8'6" rod will throw everything from small bucktails to large rubber. A very light rod with great sensativity. It takes some people a bit getting use to the softness of the tip of these rods since we are accustomed to the stiffer rods, but once you get use to them you won't want to fish with another rod. They load up extremely well and cast baits much farther than other rods because of it.

Check them out you won't be dissappointed!
ranger6
Posted 8/29/2008 9:58 PM (#334102 - in reply to #334054)

Thanks for the great advise!
Trevor
Posted 9/2/2008 7:20 AM (#334357 - in reply to #334054)

CiscoKid - 8/29/2008 12:21 PM

I use the 8'6" X-Heavy, and the 9' "Ricky Stick" exclusively. Hands down the best rods I have ever thrown. What makes them the best is they are heavy enough action to throw and work big baits, but the tip has enough flex in it for fighting fish. Rods are getting too stiff now days and it is much tougher to keep fish on with those. The Lamiglass rods are great for keeping fish on once they are pinned.

Check them out you won't be dissappointed!

Hi Ciscokid
Could you tell us more about the Ricky Stick I went to lamiglas website but found nothing. the blank that interests me the most are the tri-flex composites. softer action and in a weight range that covers most of the lures i throw.
h2os2t
Posted 9/2/2008 4:39 PM (#334439 - in reply to #334357)

The Rickys Stick is a 9 ft composite that Rick Meverden was working with Lamiglas last year before he died. It will handle big baits like a dream and I can throw my 7" Nitro with it also. The rating on the rod does not go with its ability to handle big (Rick died before he could get the weight rating down). It should be a sweet rod for fall trolling also, we did a little last year (his last fish came on that rod) and worked great. It is a little heavy being a composite but is easy to use. After 38 years as a heavy equipment mechanic my arms and shoulders are not what they used to be, I can toss my 8oz Hardheads all day and still move the next day. Contact Fathead Frans bait shop in Green Bay as that is where we have been getting them. The first batch have the name Rickys Stick on them as they are not in the regular line up yet but will be next year.
Yake Bait
Posted 9/2/2008 8:43 PM (#334478 - in reply to #333952)

I own an 8'6" XHF Lamiglass and originally my expectations (having owned several St. Croix rods) was a much stiffer rod based on the XHF rating. Eventually I grew to like the action for certain applications. I would rate it as more of a MF based on what I am used to.

In particular it is a very good crank bait rod, the extra length makes it super for the figure 8 manuver. It is also excellent for topwater and mid sized bucktails. Don't care for it too much for ripping the big stuff as it has not the backbone for it. Also falls short on the figure 8 for the big bucktails (too limber).

Tip top must be cared for. I broke mine off and had to repair. It is not very big and you need to be careful not to reel your leader up into the tip.

Although the length is an asset for casting, figure 8, and fighting a fish, it can become a liability when it comes to a solo net job. Just need to reel the fish in closer to the tip and plan your moves a bit more carefully. Can't remember loosing one due to this but had a few close calls.
CiscoKid
Posted 9/4/2008 12:05 PM (#334715 - in reply to #333952)

Sorry, I completely forgot about this post.

Roger pretty much covered it about the "Ricky Stick". I'll look when I get home and will try to remember to post the designation for the rod. I think Lamiglass will be offering this rod more come next year. As Roger said you may be able to order it through Fat Head Fran's in Green Bay. Otherwise I think Rollie & Helan's have some also, but they are pretty pricey through them.

Yep, this rod are a bit softer than you would expect, but again I am having no issues working baits including the big stuff. I don't recommend it as the rods aren't rated this high, but I have thrown pounders on the 9' without issues. I am ripping 10" Jakes and cranks with extra large lips without an issue. One thing to remember is due to the length of the rods I am using you need to jerk a little softer than you would with a shorter rod even though they have more give in the tip. These rods really have taken the work out of it for me.

Yake Bait, give the rods more of a try with the larger baits. You may just find that they are enough. I find it hard to believe you are working them harder than I am.

I haven't had an issue netting by myself with the longer rods. I am sure I screw one up, but that happens regardless of what rod you use when by yourself.
mskyhntr
Posted 9/4/2008 12:50 PM (#334726 - in reply to #333952)

Can the Ricky Stick throw Pounders?? And is there enough backbone for a solid hookset?

Edited by mskyhntr 9/4/2008 12:51 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 9/4/2008 1:27 PM (#334734 - in reply to #333952)

I don’t recommend it as the “Ricky Stick” is only rated to 4 oz. (a bit light as Roger mentioned), but this is the rod I have thrown my pounder with. I caution you to throw them at your own risk as I wouldn’t expect Lamiglass to replace a broken rod if you were to break it throwing a pounder. Technically anything beyond what they rate the rod for isn’t covered under warranty. That’s not to say they may not replace it.

As far as hooksets go I am not the best person to answer that. I have limited time with the pounder, and have only had one fish eat it (3 other short hits). It was a 40” fish that I never had hooked. I pulled the fish up off bottom (18’ of water) to the surface on the hookset (kinda weird as the fish never fought at all), and lost the fish on the surface. So I am 0 for 1 using the pounder, but the odds of hooking fishing on rubber aren’t always that good anyway.

In the true sense of backbone the rod has plenty. Backbone and tip action are two different animals, and this rod does not bend beyond the half way point I would guess. Never really paid attention to where the bend ends.
Yake Bait
Posted 9/6/2009 9:57 AM (#398156 - in reply to #334478)

Yake Bait - 9/2/2008 8:43 PM

I own an 8'6" XHF Lamiglass and originally my expectations (having owned several St. Croix rods) was a much stiffer rod based on the XHF rating. Eventually I grew to like the action for certain applications. I would rate it as more of a MF based on what I am used to.

In particular it is a very good crank bait rod, the extra length makes it super for the figure 8 manuver. It is also excellent for topwater and mid sized bucktails. Don't care for it too much for ripping the big stuff as it has not the backbone for it. Also falls short on the figure 8 for the big bucktails (too limber).

Tip top must be cared for. I broke mine off and had to repair. It is not very big and you need to be careful not to reel your leader up into the tip.

Although the length is an asset for casting, figure 8, and fighting a fish, it can become a liability when it comes to a solo net job. Just need to reel the fish in closer to the tip and plan your moves a bit more carefully. Can't remember loosing one due to this but had a few close calls.

I want to officially rescind my previous opinion of the Lammy rod when doing the solo net job. I've boated probably 2/3's side of my fish this year on this rod alone, many on topwater near boat side, and (knock on wood) have not lost one at the net yet. The extra give actually helps to keep a bend during the solo net job as opposed to being a liability.

Edited by Yake Bait 9/6/2009 9:58 AM
NOFEAR
Posted 9/6/2009 12:22 PM (#398171 - in reply to #333952)

I picked up the 8'6" XH this year at the Musky Expo. It's a beatifull rod but I've found it to be to limber for most of the bigger baits which I through alot. It's great for small bucktails, spinners and some top water but if your throwing Cowgirls this is the not the rod in my opinion. It's hard to do a good figure 8 when the rod gives to much.

If it's purpose is lighter tackle you'll love it...
mark
Posted 9/21/2009 3:09 AM (#401015 - in reply to #333952)

But what lamiglass rod would you recommend for throwing 12" dawgs and double cowgirls then? I don't throw anything havier and I like 8" rods. Longer will be to much for me.

I realy would like to get a lamiglass for them, but I cannot kame up my mind which one to take.....
Shane Mason
Posted 9/21/2009 5:10 AM (#401019 - in reply to #333952)

Mark the 8' would work for both of those, personally I use the 8'6 for both of those, and the 8' is dang close to the 8'6 in action just 6" longer. I love the 8'6 for double tens, guess its just a preference thing. I threw the 8'6 for 3 straight days with the pounder(only rod I brought with), while I wouldnt recommend doing it everyday and normally use the 9' for the really big stuff. It handled it just fine. I love that the flex is a little farther down the rod, more of a moderate fast especially on the figure 8's. A rod where the action is mostly in the tip (too stiff) usually ends up in a lost fish boatside, especially with big fish.
These cast like a dream, and keep fish pinned whats not to love about that.
Mark
Posted 9/21/2009 6:05 AM (#401021 - in reply to #333952)

But what's the difference between the 8" Heavy and the X-heavy? They are both rated for 1-8 OZ lures.

I now use a croix PM80MHF (3/4-3oz). Can I compare the 8" Heavy with the st. croix?
Yake Bait
Posted 9/21/2009 6:37 PM (#401159 - in reply to #333952)

I own both the PM80MHF and the 8'6" XH Lamiglass rod. Both of these rods are almost always "on deck" when I am fishing. I favor the Lamiglass for topwater, light bucktails, and cranks. The St. Croix PM80MHF is used for twitch lures and small to moderate rubber lures. I prefer the stiffer action on the St. Croix for ripping twitch lures and find the Lamiglass to be a bit soft for that. The St. Croix can throw anything the Lamiglass does but does not "load up" as nice when casting. I have tried many times to consolidate what I throw with these two rods but I just keep getting back to the Lamiglass for it's attributes. In particular as I said in my last post, fish just stick to this rod once you have them hooked.
Mark
Posted 9/22/2009 2:14 AM (#401235 - in reply to #333952)

But would the 8" lamiglas be a bit stiffer then and cast 12" dawgs easier then the 8"6'? Being a bit shorter usualy makes it a bit stiffer. For example the 3oz 7"6'croix is stiffer then the 3oz 8"".

The thing is, i got the opportunity that a friend wants to give me 3 lamiglas rods. But there are no shops nearby that offer lami's so I can feel them. They must be ordered. So i am trying to find out what to ask him.
In need rods for:
- 8" rod for throwing 12" dawgs, spinnerbaits and cowgirls (now use a croix PM80MHF)
- 8"6 rod for trolling plugs like shadraps but also legend perchbaits
- max. 7" rod for jerbait fishing (now use a croix pm610MF)

CiscoKid
Posted 9/22/2009 10:13 AM (#401267 - in reply to #333952)

The diff between the 8’ heavy and X-Heavy is considerable enough. The heavy would not be suitable for what you want it to do. Mine is restricted to mostly bucktails (standard size) and smaller baits. The 8’ X-Heavy compared to the 8’6” X-Heavy is different as well with the 8’6” X-heavy being more stiff in my opinion. I would take the 8’6” any day over the 8’. The rod simply is the best one out there for throwing almost everything, and effectively. I use the 8’6” for the presentations you are looking to use it for. I have also thrown lures up to 12 oz with the 8’6” X-Heavy. If you are dead set on a sharter rod though the 8’ X-Heavy will handle what you are asking for.

All I have to say to those that think the rods are a bit too light for larger lures is to give them a chance. Throw the rod for awhile and you will see the benefit of having that rod over a much stiffer rod. Keeping fish pinned is the largest advantage! Believe me I rip baits all day long and have no issues using the Lamiglas line-up doing it. In fact I have recently started breaking lips out of lures (solid plastic lures that trollers are claiming are bullet proof) using these rods. If they were too “light” I wouldn’t be able to: 1) break a 10” Hooker, or 2) even throw a 10” hooker (not the only lure mfg I am breaking lures from).

No fault of Hooker lures mind you. Their service has been top notch and the lures are great. Now that I have rods (Lamiglas) capable of throwing the big pullers I am finding out the cranks just can’t handle the quick stress imparted onto the lip/head of the bait without some mods done to the lure to reinforce them. In my opinion that is IMPRESSIVE!

As far as a jerkbait rod give a longer rod a chance Mark. I work walk-the-dog topwaters and jerks with my 8’6” rod as well. You just need to jerk the rod more to the side than straight down. Going to a longer rod has way more advantages than using a pool cue (under 7’6” in my opinion now days).
markymark
Posted 9/23/2009 5:57 AM (#401459 - in reply to #333952)

thanx. This is realy helping me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)