Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lowrance data load upgrade question?

Message Subject: Lowrance data load upgrade question?
MuskyTime
Posted 8/4/2006 7:20 AM (#203635)
Subject: Lowrance data load upgrade question?

I just purchased the new “premium Hot Maps North” chip to replace my old “Hot Maps” chip. When I talked with a Lowrance rep in regards to whether or not my 330c was compatible with the new Premium Hot Map chip, he said as long as my unit had the 6.1 upgrade. He said that I could down load the software upgrade from the Lowrance web site.

Question is: What do I need to perform this action? Obviously I will need a data loader but what type and how much do they cost? I don’t recall anything coming with my sonar/GPS plotter when I purchased it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Spoerl
saint1
Posted 8/4/2006 10:03 AM (#203662 - in reply to #203635)
Subject: RE: Lowrance data load upgrade question?

Ed ,

Call Lowrance and have them send you the upgrade . You give them a cc # in case you don't return the mmc . Takes about 4 days to get the upgrade from LEI. Lot less hassle than trying to download the upgrade from the website.

Just my 2 cents
Hook em' Hard SAINT1
reelman
Posted 8/4/2006 11:32 AM (#203676 - in reply to #203635)

Or you can download all the new stuff off of Lowrance's web site. All you need is a docking port to put the MMC card into.
Shep
Posted 8/4/2006 12:03 PM (#203684 - in reply to #203676)

You can get SD/MMC card reader/writers for as little as $15 at Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot/Max, etc.

You will also need an SD memroy card. An MMC will work, to. You will download the update to the memory card. Then, put it in the card slot in your Lowrance unit, and turn it on. It will check to see if the current version is newer than the one on the card, and proceed to update your unit. Takes just a minute or so.

Post if you have any questions or difficulties.
reelman
Posted 8/4/2006 12:37 PM (#203695 - in reply to #203635)

You may also have to upgrade the software on your GOS puck. This is done the same way as updating your unit and is not very difficult at all, complete instructions are on there web site.
Southshore
Posted 8/4/2006 1:59 PM (#203708 - in reply to #203635)

Last year the northern set of maps did not show the islands in their true form. Every island shoreline was a straight line and the islands looked like some geometric figure out of a high school math book. It took me 3 weeks to convince Navionics to look at the map and see there was a problem. The people in Striefs sport shop in Warroad told me to buy the chip with only LOTW on it if I wanted to see the map as it looks on Canadian paper chart and they were correct. I don't know if Navionics fixed the problem but their lack of interest last year would lead me to believe there is still a problem. Call Striefs and ask for Fred. He will be able to give you the chip numbers and explain what you should buy.

Ray
MuskyTime
Posted 8/5/2006 9:15 AM (#203788 - in reply to #203635)

Hey thanks men! Great information and it's greatly appreciated!!

Ed
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/16/2006 9:35 PM (#205360 - in reply to #203635)

One thing to note is that the new Premium north does not have the canadien side of LOTW as last years version still did(and that version was very good to me last week, and quite accurate save for a slight error west). I have the 2006 version that does not show Canadien LOTW and had to borrow a friends 2005 version.... Now, we saw the Navionics boats out on the water at the Angle every day, mapping their butts off. They stopped at Walsh's for gas and ice cream on occasion, and the advancement of lake mapping equipment since my college days, simply amazes me. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Edited by Reef Hawg 8/16/2006 9:36 PM
Murph
Posted 8/17/2006 9:30 AM (#205409 - in reply to #203635)

You can take your unit into a store that sells Lowrance and they can do an upgrade for you on the spot. I do not know where you live but Thorne Bros. and Reeds in Minnesota can do the upgrade.

Murph
mikes
Posted 8/17/2006 10:31 AM (#205420 - in reply to #203635)

WARNING - If you do the upgrade yourself make sure you read and follow the directions exactly! I didn't bother to read the directions and upgraded my gps puck and head unit in the wrong order and ran into problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)