Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: From across the lake: "Hey Duck, we just violated your Pooping Spot!!!!"
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Sealing detailed wood

Message Subject: Sealing detailed wood
Pickadoll
Posted 1/31/2015 7:27 AM (#751133)
Subject: Sealing detailed wood

I know this has been asked many times but I haven't been satisfied with all the answers I've found yet :P.

I am currently making resin plastic lures and that is only because I make super detailed lures.
I want to make wood lures but I haven't found anything to seal the wood with without making all the carved details to disappear under the sealer.
I tried epoxy like Envirotex but its to thick and doesn't penetrate the wood enough.

Do you have any tips? I have asked Melosh fishing lures how he does it but he won't tell me how he do it :).

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(RRRd svart 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RRRd svart 1.jpg (54KB - 188 downloads)
Trophyseeker50
Posted 1/31/2015 8:16 AM (#751138 - in reply to #751133)
Subject: Re: Sealing detailed wood

I assume you are referring to sealing bare wood not top coat. I use zinser universal sanding sealer. I dip them. Then use a brush to remove any drips. It drys quite thin.
mnmusky
Posted 1/31/2015 8:20 AM (#751139 - in reply to #751133)

Beaver mentioned an etex spray in a recent post. Perhaps that's your ticket.
Pickadoll
Posted 1/31/2015 10:20 AM (#751154 - in reply to #751133)

Yes exactly. Sealing bare wood. I got a really good top coat. Even better than Envirotex.

Do you have any photos on how it looks after you sealed your lures? Do you know how much it sucks into the wood?

aaah, nice. Im gonna look into that spray. Sounds interesting.
Thanks for the advices.

Keep give me advices if you have any ideas :)!
Beaver
Posted 1/31/2015 3:28 PM (#751205 - in reply to #751154)

I dip all of my lures in Sherwin Williams Sherwood Homo-Clad. I use it to seal bare Figured Redwood and it penetrates but doesn't do anything bad to the figuring of the wood. It's only available in 5 gallon buckets, that's the down side.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 1/31/2015 8:04 PM (#751260 - in reply to #751133)

The zinser universal sealer soaks into the wood. It is actually a wax free shellac. I went to the paint store and was told that it was the only product that they would recommend for the application as it is universal and you can put any type of paint over it. Water base or lacquer.

There is a minimal build after dipped. And it drys very fast. It is available in quarts or gallons. I'm sure it is similar to what beaver is talking about.

After I soak the baits for a few minutes I hang and wipe excess off with a brush. When dry I use a scotch brite pad to scuff and smooth and then prime. I will take pics tonight of the product as well as the result.
bowhunter29
Posted 1/31/2015 9:49 PM (#751268 - in reply to #751133)

Beaver, it may not be convenient to buy in that quantity, but a 5 gallon bucket is perfect for dipping. Thanks for the tip!

I typically use a sanding sealer in a quart can- not conducive to dipping.

Jeremy
h2os2t
Posted 2/1/2015 8:52 AM (#751295 - in reply to #751268)

If you thin the epoxy you use on the top coat it soaks in. Denatured alcohol works for E Tex, I use lacquer thinner on the stuff I use as the company says it blends in with it better.
Pickadoll
Posted 2/3/2015 4:00 PM (#751761 - in reply to #751133)

Thanks for all the tips guys!
With the products you are using. Are you just using it once and then the lure is sealed and ready for paint or do you need to put on many layers before the lure is fully sealed?
How hard does the surface get with you sealers?
Can I paint with water based paint on them when they are cured?

I can also say that I fish for Northern Pike so I always put on minimum 3 layers of E-tex for top coat, they got big teeths :).

Melosh fishing lures told me that he is using a Sanding sealer but not wich brand :P.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 2/5/2015 9:48 AM (#752052 - in reply to #751133)

When I make glide baits, due to need to ballast the bait and water test, a quick way for me to seal the bait and test it, I use CA glue, it's very thin, I use my finger to spread the CA glue, or also called super glue. Zap a Gap is very good one. I use the tips of thin gloves over the finger. The C A glue that I really like because it never dries in the container good to the last drop is made by Sure Hold super glue
Gino

Edited by spoonpluggergino 2/5/2015 9:53 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)