Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Belching Muskies!

Message Subject: Belching Muskies!
CiscoKid
Posted 10/12/2004 12:05 PM (#121102)
Subject: Belching Muskies!

This past weekend While fishing over deep water I had something happen that I have never heard of before. After setting the hook, the fish was out of the water in seconds. Normal, right? Well not only did it give us a spectacular jump, but the fish let out a HUGE belch that would beat the best belchers in the world! I was expecting to see fish flying out of the muskies mouth! Anyway, the fish continued to jump a second time, and belch again! It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen while musky fishing!

Now I can only assume that the fish was equalizing it's air bladder because it must have come from very deep in the water column. I was roughly 10-15' down with a mag dawg over 63' of water. Was it the fish coming up to eat the bait that caused it to equalize, or the rapid ascent to the surface after the hookset? Has anyone else ever experience a "belching" musky?

The fish released fine to "belch" another day.
jlong
Posted 10/12/2004 12:36 PM (#121107 - in reply to #121102)
Subject: RE: Belching Muskies!

Unusual story Travis! I think you are probably correct.... and it was a good thing the fish was able to burp out the air or you probably would have had a floater on your hands. There has been discussion on this forum in the past about intentionally "burping" a fish that can't upright itself when trying to release it... and I bet the acrobatic stunts of the fish during battle did that job for you.

What did your client think?? Did you catch that fish just out from a BAR after happy hour (ha ha...ooooo that was bad)?

jlong
sworrall
Posted 10/12/2004 2:11 PM (#121122 - in reply to #121107)
Subject: RE: Belching Muskies!

I have seen that in the Fall catching a fish over deep water. The fish that I had 'burp' were all pretty good ones, usually over 45", and they 'burped' while thrashing about in the net bag.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)