Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Helmet cam equipment for shooting on water personal audio/video

Message Subject: Helmet cam equipment for shooting on water personal audio/video
Fisher
Posted 11/1/2007 2:34 PM (#282407)
Subject: Helmet cam equipment for shooting on water personal audio/video

Steve, what type of helmet cam are you using, awesome footage!
Thanks
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2007 8:44 PM (#282490 - in reply to #282407)
Subject: RE: Helmet cam

We have now worked this system to it's best possible end product, and are pretty happy with the results. OutdoorsFIRST is very soon launching a new website dedicated to uploading fishing and hunting video for our registered users, so I'm all for helping everyone in the quest to get the best video possible.

Needed are four components. A Mini Digital Video Recorder is number 1. After looking over the options, we settled in with a self contained unit that is small, incredibly powerful, and depending on the model, able to store HUGE amounts of video.

I have two units, an Archos 504 and an Archos 404. The 504 has a 160 gig hard drive, the 404 a 30 gig. The 504 I use for projects and the 404 for an evening on the water. Both interface with my PC, but one needs to download the video to either an external hard drive or your 'puter's hard drive before you can view on your PC, a time consuming project (worth the time!). Any of the recorded video is instantly viewable on the Archos' color LCD screen. Sound is recorded in stereo.

Number 2 is a hat camera. I have the Archos, and the travel dock needed to attach the camera to the Archos DVR. I have another ordered from an after market company that will be more versatile, but it's n ot out yet.

Number 3 is a comfortable hat, with your hat cam band sewn to it so the camera is positioned ALWAYS right. This is a must or you will be disappointed more than once that the hat bill, your hair, etc blocks out part of the action.

Number 4 is a set of 8 E Cells in triple A and an external power pack, after market from NewMP3Technologies, an after market supplier for Archos DVR accessories. The E Cells will power the 404 for hours, and they are easy to carry. The powerpack takes 4. You will need this as the 404's internal battery lasts only about 2 hours. E Cells can be purchased from this source:

http://www.stowmaster.net/ecell.asp

Added needs are a double life battery for the 504 allowing for 6 hours record time on one battery. The 504 has a removable battery, the 404 doesn't.

Remember to stop and restart the recording every hour or so to ease download of portions that you want to edit into a video. A 1 hour clip is a pretty big file before it's compressed.

Be sure to add a clip to the hat cam cord to ease in securing it out of your way.

This system is really easy to use, is so comfortable I forget I have it on, and works great. Wait till you see the Deer hunting stuff we are shooting...and the Ice video will be incredible. We have a few tricks I won't give up yet to produce clips that are truly unique.

One can get everything one needs for about $700.00 for a complete 504 kit and $350 for a 404 kit.

Our only regret is that Archos has not stepped up the bitrate, but it's certainly suitable for our purposes!

By the way, Wal Mart carries the 404 in many stores, and a few have that unit on closeout now for $159.00 to $169.00 for the 404 base unit and the PC/TV cord. As an aside, this is a GREAT DVR capable of storing and playing huge video and MONSTER music files.

Any more questions?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_0007.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0007.JPG (90KB - 222 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2007 9:21 PM (#282496 - in reply to #282407)
Subject: Re: Helmet cam

You will also need to learn how to use an editing program. Windows Movie Maker is a basic, packaged Microsoft program that is really easy to use. the Archos clips will drag and drop into the timeline, and the challenge begins there.

Vegas Video, Final Cut Pro, and other programs will make the more sophisticated amateur spots video producer a bit more happy.
Professional Edge
Posted 11/2/2007 6:33 AM (#282532 - in reply to #282496)
Subject: Re: Helmet cam

I put one together this year that is very similar but it records to my sony camcorder. I went with the camcorder because I was told it records a better quality video. Steve would know better then I on that. I liked the camcorder because I purchased 8 hour long tapes and could keep filming all day.

I got some good video this year to include the fish eating the Krook....me starting to fall.....looking where I am going to land......and then nothing but sky...lucky I ended in the splash pan and not the drink.......worst thing is when I picked up all the line the fish was gone. Story of the season.

Never know what you are going to film.

I will post a picture of what I have this weekend.

Keith

Edited by Professional Edge 11/2/2007 6:36 AM
Vince Weirick
Posted 11/2/2007 10:21 AM (#282585 - in reply to #282407)
Subject: RE: Helmet cam equipment for shooting on water personal audio/video

Steve,

I noticed there is a 604 and 704 Archos with WiFi. What is the difference in these to the one you mention (504). I am looking at getting a whole new set up this winter.

Also, is this something you could speak about when you are here to speak in Indiana for our Dec. 1 meeting?

Edited by Vince Weirick 11/2/2007 10:28 AM
lambeau
Posted 11/2/2007 11:36 AM (#282594 - in reply to #282585)

Also, is this something you could speak about when you are here to speak in Indiana for our Dec. 1 meeting?

lol...Steve? talk about his video toys?
i hope you've got a loooonnngggg meeting time available!

sworrall
Posted 11/2/2007 7:20 PM (#282665 - in reply to #282407)
Subject: Re: Helmet cam equipment for shooting on water personal audio/video

Those are tools, Mike. Not toys.

Well,ok, alright...they ARE fun to play with.
lambeau
Posted 11/3/2007 5:19 AM (#282682 - in reply to #282407)

i didn't realize how (relatively) affordable the system actually prices out to be.
with a new baby in need of lots of video time, i just might be able to justify this!
sworrall
Posted 11/3/2007 7:09 AM (#282685 - in reply to #282407)

Mike, exactly. Not that expensive. The unit can receive a firmware update from the web, too. We settled on the Archos because it uses a hard drive and is pocket sized, so it's really portable and it is easy to deal with the data. All the ice video was done with a camcorder and wired camera, and I'm really happy I don't have to haul that around (and worry about it) any more.
muskycore
Posted 11/3/2007 7:55 AM (#282688 - in reply to #282685)

I have the 504 for 365.00 in stock if anyone wants one. This is at my cost if you use a CC.
Let me see if the manf is extending the promo though.
Promo amount applied:
Valid thru:
$158.99 Off
11/03/2007
muskycore
Posted 11/8/2007 8:08 AM (#283621 - in reply to #282688)

Steve

Do you have a pic how you mount the head cam to the hat?

Thank you
Professional Edge
Posted 11/8/2007 8:38 AM (#283633 - in reply to #283621)

I mounted mine on the bill of a cap. It took some playing to make sure the camera is pointed in the right direction and right side up....after that it is film away.

The one I use has a focus and a setting to block out some of the light on a bright day. It also came with a polarized lense for those sunny days.

I will post a picture of my setup this week.
Keith
muskycore
Posted 11/8/2007 8:44 AM (#283635 - in reply to #283633)

Sweet, I ordered one from myself yesterday and hopefully will have today. If I only want to film when I get a hit (fish=)) can I just reach down and hit one button to record or do I have to do multiple movements.

Professional Edge
Posted 11/8/2007 9:19 AM (#283649 - in reply to #283635)

I record every cast when I have it with. I wanted to get the entire deal on film. But to answer your question mine did have a button to push to turn it on.

Couple things to think about.
*You will realize how much you move your head...down at the depth finder...gps....kids...other peoples baits
*Mine has a audio mic on it so everything is taped.
*I did not use mine as much as I had planned and I missed some good video. The tournament I fished with Lambeau would have made an entire CD if I had it with. Lots of boatside fish in clear water. I just did not want to take the time to monitor that during a tournament.

Edited by Professional Edge 11/8/2007 9:20 AM
muskycore
Posted 11/8/2007 9:57 AM (#283656 - in reply to #283649)

Thanks for the info sir.
I'm trying to get ready for a late Nov outing in a gin clear deep Cisco lake with a much unknown guide with 4000 documented fish. He thought it would be neat to get him in action catching a gorging giant. My only fear is extreme weather and fogging, etc.
Thanks again

Vince Weirick
Posted 11/9/2007 10:56 AM (#283834 - in reply to #282407)

If anyone is interested there is one 504 with 40gb and helmet cam that is one month old on Craigs List...$300
sworrall
Posted 11/9/2007 6:02 PM (#283879 - in reply to #283834)

The beauty of an Archos DVR is it needs no monitoring at all and is very small. I have two caps, one with the camera mount made from two zip ties on the bill, the other with the Archos head band sewn on the right side over the ear.

I like the cap with the side mount best, but it will not work in the cold because the camera will get blocked by a sweatshirt hood or stocking cap. That's what I made the hat bill mount for.

I'll post a little video from this weekend Monday.
muskycore
Posted 11/10/2007 12:38 AM (#283920 - in reply to #283879)

What kind of case are you using that can fit the AV and travel adapter while running the head cam?
Vince Weirick
Posted 11/14/2007 2:28 PM (#284584 - in reply to #283649)

If you can still find them...Target has the Archos 504 bundle with DVR station on clearance for $154.98 (50% off). I am picking one up tonight and it is the last one in our local Target.
sworrall
Posted 11/14/2007 7:54 PM (#284614 - in reply to #284584)

In cool weather I just put the DVR in a sweatshirt pouch, run the wire along my left side and it's good to go. Warmer weather I use a small belt pack designed for a camera and leave the Archos in it's case.
ShaneW
Posted 11/28/2007 9:19 AM (#286604 - in reply to #284614)

I just got my early Xmas present - an Archos 605 Wifi that works pretty slick for a media player but haven't thought of a camera. Quick question - are you able to pull digital photos from a video stream? What I mean is if you are recording with this can you take a frame from the video and turn it into a picture.

Shane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)