Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Rainy Lake - Red Gut Bay

Message Subject: Rainy Lake - Red Gut Bay
kustomboy
Posted 8/28/2012 8:33 AM (#581296)
Subject: Rainy Lake - Red Gut Bay

Heading up to Rainy soon. Any recent reports for pike or muskies? We've had very little luck with muskies in the past but its mainly a pike fishing trip and a muskie is a bonus.

Just wondering how the bites been and if we should be keying in on any certain type of structure. We normally get some nice pike in the good weeds we can find. Should we be trying rocks more?

Thanks.
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2012 9:57 AM (#581314 - in reply to #581296)
Subject: Re: Rainy Lake - Red Gut Bay

Hit Bleak Bay. There are several coves in the Bay that hold really big Pike year round. I've only caught one muskie there, and have never seen any others, but the big pike there are well worth the effort.
rpike
Posted 8/28/2012 10:49 AM (#581322 - in reply to #581296)

I've done well fishing weedy saddles at this time of year. Rock/weed combos are good, too. In the area of Redgut where I've done best on muskies, the whole area in the vicinity of Muskee Bay, I have never caught big pike. Lots of little pike, but no big ones. I've done much better on big pike on the bigger, deeper part of Redgut Bay that's just north of Bear's Pass, and in Swell and Bleak Bays.
kustomboy
Posted 8/28/2012 5:01 PM (#581374 - in reply to #581296)

Thanks for the tips! The one muskie we caught a few years ago was in the islands/weeds by Muskee Bay. We haven't been to Bleak Bay before so I suppose we should plan a day to do that! We've caught several 40+ inchers right in Bear's Pass and get consistent action from nice size fish in Strange Bay. The biggest pike I moved was a 44-45 inch pike that chased a pounder to the boat in the weeds in Strange Bay. It was a hog. Never did bite and couldn't get her to show up again.
Jacko
Posted 8/28/2012 10:55 PM (#581425 - in reply to #581296)
Subject: RE: Rainy Lake - Red Gut Bay

Was there last week. All the good fish we got
Were shallow, less than five feet of water. However
People in our group did catch a couple good northern while walleye
Fishing in 40ft.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)