Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Baitcasting Reel That Can Switch Retrieval Sides

Baitcasting Reel That Can Switch Retrieval Sides
OptionResults
Yes, this would be a good product that will have success4 Votes - [33.33%]
No, this product would not sell8 Votes - [66.67%]

Message Subject: Baitcasting Reel That Can Switch Retrieval Sides
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 4/30/2024 7:54 PM (#1028134)
Subject: Baitcasting Reel That Can Switch Retrieval Sides

Please remove post if this is not allowed, I wasn't sure where to else to put this post.

I'm a senior in mechanical engineering and I have found that a lot of baitcasting reels don't come in a left hand model, so I was wondering if you guys think a baitcaster that can switch retrieves would be a good product or not.
miket55
Posted 4/30/2024 8:11 PM (#1028136 - in reply to #1028134)
Subject: Re: Baitcasting Reel That Can Switch Retrieval Sides

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product...We're already doing it with spinning reels so why not?
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 4/30/2024 8:16 PM (#1028137 - in reply to #1028136)

miket55 - 4/30/2024 8:11 PM

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product...We're already doing it with spinning reels so why not?

Those were my thoughts. I've put some thought into it and done a little bit of designing, but I figured it'd be good to get some input before I put in too much time and money into a product nobody would want.
My primary obstacle right now is with the drag and tension knobs. If the handle can be on the left or right side, where would the drag and tension knobs go? I could put them on the sides as well, but then the reel would be monstrous and make casting difficult because of how big and heavy it is. I can't put them underneath the reel for obvious reasons, and putting them on top of the reel would probably not work because of concerns with backlashing, thumbing the spool, etc. The only possibly feasible option is to put the drag and tension knob as a dial on a box in front of the reel itself (I can upload a drawing), but then there could be concerns with how that could fit onto most rods, how easily it could be casted, etc.

Edited by PennsylvaniaMuskie 4/30/2024 8:27 PM
miket55
Posted 4/30/2024 9:28 PM (#1028138 - in reply to #1028134)

I'm only one guy, and I can't even spell engineer sometimes.. Still it's an interesting concept.

You're the guy putting in the time, and energy, and have the mechanical sense, so I guess it's gonna be up to you to decide whether or not it's feasible..

There's also like you touched on, size, and weight, but the big thing would be cost. Also the manufacturers might not be interested in an ambidextrous reel. "Why sell one when I can sell two at twice the price of one"?

Edited by miket55 4/30/2024 9:32 PM
chuckski
Posted 5/1/2024 12:33 AM (#1028139 - in reply to #1028134)

Look at spinning reels up to about twenty about years ago you bought a spinning reel you got a extra spool, one for say 4# test one for 8# test or one spool mono one spool Braid. I've never tried to get a extra from the manufacture but I hear it's like a act of congress to get one now a days. (maybe I'm wrong but it was so easy when it came with a extra) As far as cost, well lots of reels they don't even make a lefty. (Baitcasters)
muskymartin67
Posted 5/1/2024 6:43 AM (#1028140 - in reply to #1028134)

I fish lefty and compared to 20+ years ago there actually are way more choices today on left-handed baitcasters, I would be Leary on buying one that does both as product design seems to me would not favor the consumer price wise, it would probably be cheaper to just buy 2 reels a left and right hand if you want to switch up through the day, and if something goes wrong at least you have a back up
North of 8
Posted 5/1/2024 11:08 AM (#1028149 - in reply to #1028140)

I also use a left handed reel. I think this product could sell, but it would have to be on the lower end of the cost scale. Guys like me that have fished for a while will be willing to pay up and get what they want, or as someone suggested, buy both left and right.
I only started using left handed reels about 9 years ago after smashing my hand up in a shop accident. In that relatively short period, there appear to be many more quality left hand reels available.
chuckski
Posted 5/1/2024 5:47 PM (#1028161 - in reply to #1028134)

As fishermen we spend the money that's a given, mechanically a possible solution is a fixed handle on each side that would both spin regardless of the hand being used??? Or maybe like a Fly fishing reel were you take out the spool and flip some stuff around???
7.62xJay
Posted 5/1/2024 10:24 PM (#1028169 - in reply to #1028134)

Us Leftys have a major advantage. Way less time spent looking at what to buy ;).

And Penn. Your an engineer, you're already working on it. We both know it's now an itch you can't scratch until its complete. For that reason alone I would say proceed. For myself, no I would not be the first to buy the day of its release. But if time proclaims it as a performing reel, than I'd be open to it. I would speculate that the market of Guides,Outfitters,and resorts would love such an item. In addition, provided the dollars would allow, I'd think a cheap version on a rod as a combo in a major box store (maybe a paid endorsement to a Googan too) would be a hot ticket item for a bit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)