Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Okuma Komodo 471

Message Subject: Okuma Komodo 471
curleytail
Posted 7/7/2018 6:13 PM (#911757)
Subject: Okuma Komodo 471

Considering picking up an Okuma 471P. Main use would be on a big rubber rod setup. Would be handy if the reel could also handle ocassional use for blades up to double 10s.

I'd enjoy the high speed for picking up slack with rubber. How many have used this reel for blades? What did you think? The 463 at 33.5 inches per crank might be more flexible with big blade use, but I have a couple other reels in the 30 to 34 inch range and wondering about something a little faster.

My only other hesitation with this reel is at 16.5 oz it's close to 3 ounces heavier than the Revo Toro 60s I use a lot. I remember the Saltist I used to have was about 18 oz and felt noticeably heavier when picking it up vs rods with lighter reels. But in actual use not sure it wore me out any worse. It's still a lot lighter than the 500 Tranx...

Anyway, I'd be interested in any reviews. Not a lot of info out there about this reel.

Thanks,
Tucker
fish4musky1
Posted 7/7/2018 9:45 PM (#911762 - in reply to #911757)
Subject: Re: Okuma Komodo 471

I got a 463 this season and really like it. I have used Calcutta 400Ds (weigh a lot less than the Komodo) exclusively the past 5 years before trying the Komodo and don’t really notice the increase in weight.
tkuntz
Posted 7/8/2018 7:03 AM (#911772 - in reply to #911757)

I have two 463s and absolutely love them so far. One is on my rubber rod and one on by jerkbait rod. I dont like them for big blades at all, but that isn't their purpose. The 471 should make an excellent rubber reel. Tip, ABU NaCl handles fit the komodos really well.
curleytail
Posted 7/8/2018 9:50 AM (#911782 - in reply to #911757)

Tkuntz, why don't you like them for big blades? Is the handle too short to make good torque? My Toro at 34 inches does ok with them but I'm using the longer power handle.

I should just get a rubber specific reel but the practical side of me has a hard time spending money on a setup that's fairly single purpose.
tkuntz
Posted 7/9/2018 2:51 PM (#911894 - in reply to #911757)

The stock "power handle" is a little short and has a smallish grip knob. If you can get your hands on an NaCl jigging handle I'm sure it would be much easier.

As a disclaimer I prefer to crank big blades with a slower reel, regardless of handle length.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 7/12/2018 8:49 AM (#912147 - in reply to #911757)

The komodo paddle handle is quite long so it has quite a bit of leverage. Wont be able to burn big blades with the 471 but it can certainly pull them.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 7/13/2018 10:57 PM (#912287 - in reply to #911757)

The Komodo 471SS will do anything you need it to do without hesitation.

I have used it for big rubber, double 10's, cranks, over sized live bait for flatheads, jigs, shark fishing, grouper fishing, snapper fishing, etc... I have attempted to kill these reels and I have failed every step of the way.

Casting distance is great, cranking power is great, the frame and drive train strength is on point.

The one thing I would like to see would be a longer handle, Okuma is supposed to be in the process of bringing out an upgraded long power handle for the reel. If Okuma does this, the reel would take the bank.

Right now, so long as you have the arm strength, I do, you can burn a double 12 with the reel, but I recognize that not every one can do that realistically.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/14/2018 12:36 AM (#912292 - in reply to #912287)

Beastly Backlash - 7/13/2018 10:57 PM

The Komodo 471SS will do anything you need it to do without hesitation.

I have used it for big rubber, double 10's, cranks, over sized live bait for flatheads, jigs, shark fishing, grouper fishing, snapper fishing, etc... I have attempted to kill these reels and I have failed every step of the way.

Casting distance is great, cranking power is great, the frame and drive train strength is on point.

The one thing I would like to see would be a longer handle, Okuma is supposed to be in the process of bringing out an upgraded long power handle for the reel. If Okuma does this, the reel would take the bank.

Right now, so long as you have the arm strength, I do, you can burn a double 12 with the reel, but I recognize that not every one can do that realistically.

Burn Double 12 Blades ???
With a 7 Gear Reel, I guess your first name is Arnold
LOL LOL LOL
I can see using it for fast line pickup on Rubber but with the 7 Gears you have no Power.
I hate to see a Avg Joe buy one to Burn 10 or 12 Blades, I’m glad you did say that.
To burn 10 or 12 all day long go with the Tranx 500 in high gear your Arm will thank you at the end of the day.
Here is a review on a Okuma 364

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_9yvvvvy60
Sidejack
Posted 7/14/2018 1:06 PM (#912305 - in reply to #911757)
Subject: RE: Okuma Komodo 471

I run revos too and don't notice a weight difference.
9's & 10's aren't a problem with the 463 but i'm not burning them.
Both the 463 & 471 are surprisingly versatile and you don't lose much power even with the double paddle handle due to it's huge spread. Consider the 463 if you want it for double duty and your other similar reels will soon be back ups. They're much lighter and smaller in-hand than expected and remarkable casting reels.
No surprise there aren't a lot of the Komodos for sale here.
They're pretty much my favourite reel.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PMMFR.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PMMFR.JPG (15KB - 438 downloads)
Beastly Backlash
Posted 7/15/2018 12:58 PM (#912346 - in reply to #912292)

Yeah, I had to add that disclaimer. Though, once Okuma gets the new power handle on the market, the average Joe should have no trouble usjng the Komodo 463 or 471 to burn what they want.

Regardings Nick's reveiw of the Komodo, it is important to take his reveiws in context. Nick has never owned the Komodo, nor the Revo Toro Beast for that matter, and has only breifly put either reel to use outside of a couple field casts. Nick has plenty of reel tech expertise, but he tends to wear his brand bias on his sleeve and he becomes overly ciritcal of reels from brands he isn't to crazy about while overlooking possible short comings of reels from brands he prefers ( however he has gotten a lot better though as of lately).

If anyone actually paid attention to his reveiw of the Komodo 364's casting distance they would have noted the spool only 2/3rds the way full, that is a distance killer.

I would like to see Diawa come out with an extended arm for the Lexa 400HD too, these two big low pros packing stainless steel gears have so much potential as indestructible winches. I would like to see the companies recognize that by providing 90mm to 100mm , drive shaft to knob, power handles which would provide a couple of legit Tranx 500 killers.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/18/2018 1:48 PM (#916010 - in reply to #911757)

Another video on the Okuma Reels compared to it competitors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDzxy5oEro
muskihntr
Posted 8/18/2018 4:09 PM (#916019 - in reply to #911757)

Ive got a pair of 471s and 463s. Ive been using them since they went to the SS models and I like them alot. Richard gets them every season for a tune up. I dont fish every day but they have been good durable reels for me and have had plenty of fish on them. That said the casting distance (as talked about in the video posted) can be a bit of a problem with smaller lighter baits but thats the only drawback I have found. I have gotten more away from Bomb casting anyway and fish tighter to structure these days so its not that big of a problem.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/18/2018 5:11 PM (#916023 - in reply to #916019)

muskihntr - 8/18/2018 4:09 PM

Ive got a pair of 471s and 463s. Ive been using them since they went to the SS models and I like them alot. Richard gets them every season for a tune up. I dont fish every day but they have been good durable reels for me and have had plenty of fish on them. That said the casting distance (as talked about in the video posted) can be a bit of a problem with smaller lighter baits but thats the only drawback I have found. I have gotten more away from Bomb casting anyway and fish tighter to structure these days so its not that big of a problem.

Hey John
I prefer a Non Disengaging Reel like the Okuma, I feel it saves wear and tear on your line, and drag will be smoother. Same here I very seldom bomb casts so a reel that is smooth on the cast and a Non Disengaging System especially on 100lb braid I prefer.
Okuma is the only one with that system in a reel of that size. The Tranx 500 I wish had that system.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)