Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk transom repair

Reply New post
Message Subject: 2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk transom repair
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/6/2024 5:29 PM (#1028256)
Subject: 2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk transom repair

I was just informed that my transom is shot. Dry rot in the wood. Too much play to run safely. Brackets starting to crack under the back deck.

I think it's going to be way too expensive to fix and probably just have to sell the boat as is to someone who may want to repair it themselves.

Unless someone knows of any other options?

Midge
Musky-Slayer
Posted 5/6/2024 8:16 PM (#1028258 - in reply to #1028256)
Subject: RE: 2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk transom repair

It is definitely a bunch of work... I was in the same situation as you in 2021, I didn't want to pay the high prices a shop wanted and with new boat prices going thru the roof I decided my 91' Lund Pro V was in too good of condition to get rid of and already having replaced the floor&carpet before noticing the transom, having had it since 1996 & Dads buddy bought it new. After doing it I can see why the charge what they charge and I am mechanically inclined being in the building trades for 25 years and building engines and drag cars for fun. Plus I have all the tools, used my engine hoist to pick and hold the outboard during the project, they sell a universal hook to lift it fits most outboards. Tearing the transom out is the hardest part for sure. Be prepared to drill out lots of rivets, I had to do a bunch down the gunnel to be able to wedge up the sides to get access to the trailer tie downs that bolt through the transom. Once those were out it was lots of chipping & wedging with big pry bars/chisel's getting only small chunks out at a time. I also used long drill bits in areas I could reach worked well seemed like it sped up the process vs chipping/chiseling, then shop vac the small pieces/drill debris out. Talking hours apon hours for what seemed like days...?? Lots of chipping away at it until it was all out. I went with Coosa marine board to never have a problem again. Installation went very well, I used two pieces of Coosa board to get my desired transom thickness. Installing new scuppers was easy.

Last trip to St.Clair when I did not have a clue the transom was bad... we were making long runs 40mph straight over 4-5 footers for 3 days... ?? Got lucky it held together as it was late fall and would not have been fun going into the cold water abruptly...
RLSea
Posted 5/6/2024 10:04 PM (#1028261 - in reply to #1028256)
Subject: Re: 2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk transom repair

I have seen shops use a chainsaw to clean out old transom.
kjgmh
Posted 5/7/2024 7:45 AM (#1028265 - in reply to #1028256)

If you are original owner you may get them to replace it under warranty.
huntandfish1017
Posted 5/7/2024 8:20 AM (#1028266 - in reply to #1028256)

Brian from Angling Anarchy did a video on his transom replacement for a Fish Hawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJ37GE4f18
Grass
Posted 5/7/2024 12:17 PM (#1028273 - in reply to #1028256)

Where are you located?
I had my 2002 Fishhawk transom replaced at R & D Services Inc, Green Bay, WI.
They are very talented mechanics. They work on boats, RVs, Cars.
They replaced the transom on my Fishhawk in 2022. The work took them about a week from start to finish.
The cost was about $3000.

MuskyMidget
Posted 5/7/2024 3:18 PM (#1028281 - in reply to #1028256)

I'm in the Twin Cities. With people mentioning newer Fish Hawks than mine being repaired, doesn't sound like the warranty is an option.

I had no idea this was a common occurrence, but seems to be. I was more concerned when I bought it about the wood floor and have never had an issue. It never even occurred to me that the transom would be an issue!

Ugh
Grass
Posted 5/8/2024 9:37 AM (#1028300 - in reply to #1028256)

Watch the YouTube video that huntandfish posted. It is excellent.
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/8/2024 9:59 AM (#1028303 - in reply to #1028256)

I started watching it. It's way above my pay grade. I have no mechanical skills whatsoever.

I am an accountant! LOL
ToddC
Posted 5/9/2024 2:36 PM (#1028341 - in reply to #1028256)

What started as a carpet replacement for my old Tuffy marauder turned into a complete gut job. Due to a poorly drilled live well fitting the port side was rotted all the way back to the transom. Tore the boat apart down to the stringers and redid the entire boat including the transom. What’s nice is I rebuilt the rod locker that holds 9-6 rods now. Had to re fiberglass the live well where the factory screwed up and redrill the hole for the fitting. It's not a show boat by any means bit it’s a nice local puddle jumper for me.
CincySkeez
Posted 5/9/2024 4:55 PM (#1028345 - in reply to #1028261)

RLSea - 5/6/2024 10:04 PM

I have seen shops use a chainsaw to clean out old transom.

The corded Black and Decker chainsaw can be found in any real boat shop. Works like magic, especially on stringers.

The fit and finish of just about every single production boat is poor to say the least. Lord only knows how many glass sparkle boats have picked up a couple hundred pounds through the years, it happens when hardware isn't properly bedded and cheap materials and labor are used.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)