Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> LiveScope and similar technology

Reply New post
Message Subject: LiveScope and similar technology
dickP
Posted 2/1/2022 9:06 AM (#1001980 - in reply to #988553)
Subject: Re: LiveScope and similar technology

Interesting/good stuff.Glad to hear this conversation.Important one.
Saw the comment about boards vs in water rulers.Also a needed discussion IMO.FWIW,sadly I've learned that the fact a fish is 50 instead of 49 doesn't grow my unit an inch.Your experience may vary of course.
sworrall
Posted 2/1/2022 9:29 AM (#1001982 - in reply to #1001980)

dickP - 2/1/2022 9:06 AM

Interesting/good stuff.Glad to hear this conversation.Important one.
Saw the comment about boards vs in water rulers.Also a needed discussion IMO.FWIW,sadly I've learned that the fact a fish is 50 instead of 49 doesn't grow my unit an inch.Your experience may vary of course.

Same here, unfortunately.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/1/2022 10:04 AM (#1001983 - in reply to #988553)

I keep getting pop-up adds for "adding inches", just assumed it was for some hot new muskie bait.
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2022 1:07 PM (#1001984 - in reply to #1001983)

Reminds me of the observation on why women are not good at estimating the length of fish. Men have been lying to them about what is 6 inches for years.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/2/2022 10:22 AM (#1001994 - in reply to #1001984)

North of 8 - 2/1/2022 1:07 PM

Reminds me of the observation on why women are not good at estimating the length of fish. Men have been lying to them about what is 6 inches for years.

They practice lying about 6" so they can execute a better lie about the cost of Livescope as well.
North of 8
Posted 2/2/2022 4:45 PM (#1002001 - in reply to #1001994)

Kirby Budrow - 2/2/2022 10:22 AM

They practice lying about 6" so they can execute a better lie about the cost of Livescope as well.

Hmmm, since in an earlier post on this thread you mentioned buying a Livescope this winter, is that the voice of experience speaking ;>)
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/2/2022 5:38 PM (#1002002 - in reply to #1002001)

North of 8 - 2/2/2022 4:45 PM

Hmmm, since in an earlier post on this thread you mentioned buying a Livescope this winter, is that the voice of experience speaking ;>)

Fortunately I’m the one in charge of the money in my house

But she got tired of hearing me talking about it and just said order it!
sworrall
Posted 2/4/2022 9:43 AM (#1002053 - in reply to #1002002)

Kirby Budrow - 2/2/2022 5:38 PM

North of 8 - 2/2/2022 4:45 PM

Fortunately I’m the one in charge of the money in my house

But she got tired of hearing me talking about it and just said order it!

This has worked for me in the past. Keith and I just ordered Mega Live, will be cool to couple with Mega 360.
Top H2O
Posted 2/4/2022 10:39 AM (#1002056 - in reply to #1002053)

OK,
I'm going to go out on the limb of a BIG tree and say that some of you guys are Red Blooded Nerds !
Nothing really wrong with that, I just feel like watching a screen most of the day takes away from the enjoyment of being out there in God's Country and figuring things out without the help of Thousands of dollars of electronics.
I'm totally happy to know what the water temp and depth are, and that's about it.
Whatever makes ya happy.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/4/2022 1:39 PM (#1002061 - in reply to #1002056)

Top H2O - 2/4/2022 10:39 AM

OK,
I'm going to go out on the limb of a BIG tree and say that some of you guys are Red Blooded Nerds !
Nothing really wrong with that, I just feel like watching a screen most of the day takes away from the enjoyment of being out there in God's Country and figuring things out without the help of Thousands of dollars of electronics.
I'm totally happy to know what the water temp and depth are, and that's about it.
Whatever makes ya happy.

Yeah maybe. I've used my livescope 4 days on the ice so far and am completely satisfied though. It makes it more fun honestly. I don't care for ice fishing as much these days but I really enjoy staring at that screen. You can learn so much about what's going on down there.
North of 8
Posted 2/4/2022 3:04 PM (#1002064 - in reply to #1002061)

I just have mega SI/DI and I like seeing stuff that I have not seen before or seeing a sharper image of it. As to ice fishing, can't imagine going back to what I did 50+ years ago, just sitting in the shack jigging. It is frustrating sometimes, like a couple days ago right before I quit, had a fish come up multiple times to check out my jig but would not hit it. Would really liked to have had more than a Vexilar to know what it was.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/4/2022 3:26 PM (#1002065 - in reply to #1002064)

North of 8 - 2/4/2022 3:04 PM

I just have mega SI/DI and I like seeing stuff that I have not seen before or seeing a sharper image of it. As to ice fishing, can't imagine going back to what I did 50+ years ago, just sitting in the shack jigging. It is frustrating sometimes, like a couple days ago right before I quit, had a fish come up multiple times to check out my jig but would not hit it. Would really liked to have had more than a Vexilar to know what it was.

That's exactly right. You can see how the fish is reacting to your bait from a distance, and whether or not it's even looking at your bait. I'm amazed at how far away a fish will see your bait and react to the way you're jigging. Also, just to see which direction it came from and seeing it farther away gives you a heads up to be ready. The first night I used it for crappies, I noticed that the fish would come from any direction. But when the sun went down and it was completely dark, every fish came from the same direction. Not that that would make you catch more fish but it was just interesting to see what was going on down there. The other thing I've come to learn is that fish are often suspended higher than where my jig is. You can see them coming and they were almost always above my jig. They would start to swim down to come look at it. I guess I learned that I can leave my jig higher than I ever would have when just using my vexilar.
North of 8
Posted 2/4/2022 4:59 PM (#1002068 - in reply to #1002065)

What you are seeing would seem to make sense. With a Vexilar, the cone is very narrow up close to the hole so a fish would have to be pretty much centered under the hole in the first 4 or so feet. Maybe fewer fish are actually down deeper than it appears on a flasher, given the nature of that type of sonar?
I am a long way from a computer geek but I love using specialized tools in my wood shop. Every so often I think there is not much out there that would do a better job than the cabinets, tool chests and racks full of tools I already have but on a regular basis I am pleasantly surprised. For example, recently bought a jig to use with my router that can not only cut precise circles up to 54 inches (already had a homemade jig) but can cut ellipses so that I can make signs, etc. in that shape. It is clever, simple. Electronics are like that. If something does a better job at what you want to do, why wouldn't you use it?
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2022 4:24 PM (#1002089 - in reply to #1002065)

Kirby Budrow - 2/4/2022 3:26 PM

North of 8 - 2/4/2022 3:04 PM

That's exactly right. You can see how the fish is reacting to your bait from a distance, and whether or not it's even looking at your bait. I'm amazed at how far away a fish will see your bait and react to the way you're jigging. Also, just to see which direction it came from and seeing it farther away gives you a heads up to be ready. The first night I used it for crappies, I noticed that the fish would come from any direction. But when the sun went down and it was completely dark, every fish came from the same direction. Not that that would make you catch more fish but it was just interesting to see what was going on down there. The other thing I've come to learn is that fish are often suspended higher than where my jig is. You can see them coming and they were almost always above my jig. They would start to swim down to come look at it. I guess I learned that I can leave my jig higher than I ever would have when just using my vexilar.

Been using a camera for 12 years doing exactly that except for the expanded water column view. I have the Mega Live coming, looking forward to teaming it with the 360.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/6/2022 7:34 AM (#1002097 - in reply to #988553)

It seems, a lot of us have cameras, but few have good set-ups for panning, stow and deploy, small screens etc. to take full advantage of the technology. I could definitely see rigging up a better camera set-up, learn a lot with a camera down.
sworrall
Posted 2/9/2022 8:42 PM (#1002334 - in reply to #988553)

I'll have 2 cameras on the boat this year, a MarCum Pursuit and a Quest.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)