Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Politics: from the Greek word "poly" meaning many and the word "tics" meaning blood sucking parasites.
- (Added by: rpieske)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Message Subject: PMTT expenses
IMhooked
Posted 9/7/2021 8:41 AM (#988661)
Subject: PMTT expenses

Just curious if anyone has tracked their expenses for fishing a PMTT full schedule through the championship and would be willing to share their budget (i.e Gas, Lodging, Food, Entry Fees, Insurance, Tolls, etc.).
sworrall
Posted 9/12/2021 10:06 PM (#989815 - in reply to #988661)
Subject: Re: PMTT expenses

I can tell you what it costs to send someone out to cover a two day tournament with some competition costs added in.

Lodging at a B&B averages $100+ a night or more depending on where you are headed.
Food runs $45 a day a person if one doesn't eat garbage food and doesn't cook.
Alcohol if you do that
Gasoline pulling a boat is about .25 a mile. Overall vehicle costs run a buck a mile.
Add in the entry fee
Add in boat gasoline and oil/care/trailer care/whatever
Add in tackle you will need, break, or lose
Add in extra insurance costs to cover your ride in a tournament and the occupants
Add in the opportunity costs of fishing instead of working

These are the base costs, there will be others. One breakdown can wreck a budget badly. No one is getting rich fishing muskie tournaments. A couple of teams have done 'well' out of thousands. Most folks don't fish competitively for muskies, walleyes, crappies, or cats to make a lot of money unless fully sponsored and darned good at what they do. it's a hobby that is, for some, an enjoyable time. I hated competing, it was not fun for me. Some of my friends love it.
IMhooked
Posted 9/13/2021 9:54 AM (#990814 - in reply to #988661)

Appreciate the feedback and perspective Steve!
kap
Posted 9/14/2021 8:47 AM (#990836 - in reply to #988661)

The PMTT dose not pay out that well. If you are not finishing in the top three spots your losing money.
when you factor in lodging gas and time missed from work. food is food your gonna eat anyway.
if you calculated how much is collected on entry fees and how much is paid out the winner is the tournament director.
It can be exciting if you are a competative person. Most folks who participate are curtious professinally acting but the are a few who will cut of not only tournament anglers but others fishing who are not in the tournament. Turn off for me. But i do keeps tabs because it is a big acomplishment to win.
danmuskyman
Posted 6/2/2023 7:26 PM (#1021281 - in reply to #988661)

Some of those costs are a wash. Food is an everyday cost unless you only eat at tournaments. Same with insurance. Unless you only have insurance on your truck and boat during tournaments, then that is an everyday cost as well.
sworrall
Posted 6/7/2023 3:38 PM (#1021441 - in reply to #1021281)

danmuskyman - 6/2/2023 7:26 PM

Some of those costs are a wash. Food is an everyday cost unless you only eat at tournaments. Same with insurance. Unless you only have insurance on your truck and boat during tournaments, then that is an everyday cost as well.

If you eat out at what used to be 45 and is now 60, it's more than cooking at home. That was the question.

Many insurance companies will not cover a boat used for competition or guiding and most won't pay out what might be needed, and a lot of folks try to fly under the radar, bad idea. Getting the right insurance will cost more.
North of 8
Posted 6/7/2023 6:31 PM (#1021446 - in reply to #1021441)

sworrall - 6/7/2023 3:38 PM

danmuskyman - 6/2/2023 7:26 PM

If you eat out at what used to be 45 and is now 60, it's more than cooking at home. That was the question.

Many insurance companies will not cover a boat used for competition or guiding and most won't pay out what might be needed, and a lot of folks try to fly under the radar, bad idea. Getting the right insurance will cost more.

The same can be true for auto insurance, they can claim you were involved in a commercial enterprise and that is outside the parameters of your coverage. Talked to a guy who used to compete on the Walleye tour, and he said you better have a long talk with your agent, making sure you have your ducks in a row, or you can be in for a costly surprise. It is one thing to participate in a local club tournament, but traveling out of state to participate in a tournament with "Professional" in the name makes it hard to argue you are just out having a little fun.

Edited by North of 8 6/7/2023 6:35 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)