Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Differnt strains of muskie

Message Subject: Differnt strains of muskie
sworrall
Posted 7/31/2017 4:53 PM (#872320 - in reply to #872245)
Subject: Re: Differnt strains of muskie

ToddM - 7/31/2017 11:26 AM

Steve the "mutt" musky comes from spring lake north, the brood stock lake for illinois. Those fish are a mix of fish from wisconsin, ohio, kentucky, iowa and possibly pennsylvania. There are people who dismiss the grene gene study. That study did not produce a leech lake fish over 2 years old. It showed the illinois fish to have the best survival rate, edging the ohio fish and the ohio fish edging the fib musky in growth. Edging being the key. To my knowledge there is no growth study data in illinois for leech lake fish. Yes, some leech lake fish reach adulthood in illinois. It does not appear that percentage is very high compared to the illinois fish. Given the numbers i have been told that clubs stock leech lake fish into the fox chain, few seem to be getting caught. There is also a conflict of numbers of fish stocked depending on wbo you talk to at one club.

That's one answer I was looking for, makes sense now.
Muskies247
Posted 11/29/2018 8:02 PM (#924640 - in reply to #870904)
Subject: Re: Differnt strains of muskie

Larry Ramsell - 7/20/2017 4:53 PM

Jake: Correction...the Ottawa River was decimated by logging and dams and in the 1950's it was hurtin' muskie wise...they then did start a re-stocking program and the fish they used may surprise almost everyone...Chautauqua Lake (NY) fish!! The recent genetics work done on the lower Ottawa and the St. Lawrence River at Montreal shows that most still have Chautauqua genes in them! Sometimes using a different strain can be beneficial, especially if the goal is BIG, FAST GROWING muskies!!

Larry not surprised. Read a book I got on the lake Saving Chautauquas muskies. Turns out that the stocking programs were invented here and the entire east coast stocking is all Chautauqua fish. There are spotted fish in North Jersey I have caught them, pretty sure the spots are from Minnesota. I have fished Chautauqua it is more like a river than a reservoir, a lot of current.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)