Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 9 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies Inc FFS Position Statement

Message Subject: Muskies Inc FFS Position Statement
OH Musky
Posted 7/7/2024 12:34 PM (#1029619 - in reply to #1028448)
Subject: Re: Muskies Inc FFS Position Statement

I guess since the live scope is so awesome, and guaranteed to catch fish, I need to take the money I'm saving for a new kicker and buy a LS setup before they are all gone. Also, just to pee off everyone that doesn't like them and wants them banned. After all, if I'm going to be accused of and condemned for sharpshooting, I may as well have the equipment that allows me to do just that. I have far less years ahead of me than behind me so I should make the best of them. tick tock, tick tock...
sworrall
Posted 7/7/2024 2:34 PM (#1029622 - in reply to #1028448)

Context is everything, with a decent dose of reality sprinkled in. And to remind those who (again) have apparently forgotten the OP, MI has never suggested anything but ethical use of the tech.

No one should accuse you of sharpshooting unless you are, and if you are not and someone does, simply ignore it or correct the misconception. Easy!
OH Muskyman
Posted 7/7/2024 2:36 PM (#1029623 - in reply to #1028448)

Ok, so I have a couple questions I’ve really been wanting to ask since Muskie Inc statement came out but haven’t knowing most will not be able to be civil about it. Here it goes…
If the real concerns with FFS is that musky are dying/getting killed from being caught at a higher rate. Why is it that Muskie Inc still says that all fish to be entered into your log must be measured, while suggesting using a bump board is the best and most accurate way? I understand for a trophy size, but really we have to measure every 36” fish? Just how many are killed from flopping around in the boat because someone is trying to measure an average fish? And this happens to everyone not just the inexperienced. The same with the club tournament measurements and pictures, this is always fun when solo, whole fish in pic, tag on fish back up to take pics and fish flops…and is in the boat floor. Been there done that, unfortunately.
Next question, I see that the Muskie Inc FB page has new post about every day or two with someone’s catch usually. While I’m all for celebrating someone’s success, I have never seen any FB post or videos or statements on proper handling ect. I find that really strange since the organization is so concerned about conservation, one would think those would be a a frequent topic for Muskie Inc. I see it as a missed opportunity, to help educate those that are new or really don’t know the best ways to net handle, measure, release and help revive if needed.
I have and use FFS, while some will agree and disagree. We are all here for the same reason, we love musky and fishing for them. One more thing to remember, there is nothing we do while trying to put one in the net that is healthy for them either.

Edited by OH Muskyman 7/7/2024 2:40 PM
sworrall
Posted 7/7/2024 2:55 PM (#1029624 - in reply to #1028448)

MI refers to the website a lot, and answers a ton of questions and challenges via Messenger. Facebook is top three most of the time in recruiting new members. The goal of that page is community building and bringing in content from many of the Chapters. Fisheries, research and youth are the subject matters frequently from those Chapters, and FFS has been discussed recently. We actively promote seminars the Chapters are hosting and many discuss proper release tactics. If you belong to a MI Chapter you already know how that info is frequently discussed at the Chapter level.

If you have concerns about the Lunge Log, please feel free to contact the Executive committee via email, the email addys are listed in the Magazine. Your concerns will be addressed for sure, this is a seriously dedicated group of volunteers.

One of my favorite posts is the 'Catch and Release Works' entry where a fish had been caught multiple times over a couple years.

One of the challenges of any active social media page is acquiring content, although it's getting better every month. We literally beg the Chapters in the Newsletter Amy Keys puts out monthly to actively participate on each Chapter's Facebook page and share with MI. That page is posted to most every day, I know because I'm the one managing it. That's 365 or so I need every year. If you (or anyone else here) has subject matter you'd like to see published there, simply hit me up via Messenger or contact me directly and I'll make it so!

OH Muskyman
Posted 7/7/2024 4:43 PM (#1029627 - in reply to #1029624)

Thanks for the response Steve. Speaking of catch and release, last night I caught a 47” that I also caught in May. Not un common, but non the less awesome to see.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0280.jpeg (178KB - 9 downloads)
OH Musky
Posted 7/7/2024 4:56 PM (#1029628 - in reply to #1029622)

sworrall - 7/7/2024 3:34 PM

Context is everything, with a decent dose of reality sprinkled in. And to remind those who (again) have apparently forgotten the OP, MI has never suggested anything but ethical use of the tech.

No one should accuse you of sharpshooting unless you are, and if you are not and someone does, simply ignore it or correct the misconception. Easy!

You’re right, Steve. But some jump on a single post without reading the complete thread. For the record, I do not own a LS system. I do have multiple SI graphs (HB and Garmin) but only two transducers (bow and stern)that I use to find fish. I take exception that MI has included SI with LS as it is not live but a snapshot of what was there. If SI can be used for spotlighting or sharpshooting, I’m not yet smart enough to figure it out.

My last post was my tongue in cheek way of poking at those who want a complete ban. I'm really have been conflicted on whether a LS system or a new kicker would be more beneficial and add to my productivity. My time on the water is extremely limited, more so this year, and I’ll be #*^@ed to have anyone try to tell me I can’t use a technology that has not been deemed illegal, regardless of their beliefs. Some of the comments on this and the other thread are borderline psychotic…..”I have an AK…”. Really? Why was that not called out? Are there really some who would go to that extreme or is it more cowboy keyboarding? Maybe it’s time to table the discussions as those on the “it’s bad” side are not going to convince us on the “leave your hands off it” side. You can’t regulate morality. You can try to educate but it up to the audience to accept it.
sworrall
Posted 7/7/2024 5:57 PM (#1029631 - in reply to #1028448)

'I take exception that MI has included SI with LS as it is not live but a snapshot of what was there. If SI can be used for spotlighting or sharpshooting, I’m not yet smart enough to figure it out'

SI and 360 both can be used to target fish, I actually did it with a school of crappies a couple years ago on Boom Lake and shot a video of the process. I used the Mega Side Imaging and then the Mega 360 to locate open water schools and select one by size, then headed toward them using the 360 until I got over the top of them with 2D. As the school moved along we tracked and followed them until they had been, for the most part, all caught and released, breaking up the school. Add Mega Live and tracking them is much more accurate and fast. Add Target Lock and the process is complete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuQSmjoJOj4

Most of the Sharpshooters are using SI and ML to locate the muskie and lock in on it. Not hard to see what FFS does to compliment. It's that process, just driving around until a fish is located and isolated, and then targeted with repeated casts, that we refer to in the MI statement, not the dozens of other more ethical uses for the tech. I use it to keep me on weedlines and structure better than ever before. I won't use it to sharpshoot a school or single fish, but that's me.

That said, we had family company up this weekend for a graduation and took two of them crappie fishing this morning. 4 of us caught and released over a hundred fish, with the average 'keeper' at 10 to 11", and kept 13 for a family fish fry tomorrow. Keith ran the boat from the middle with a remote for his Terrova Quest and never used anything but 2D sonar all morning.
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 9 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)