Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wake Boats and Habitat

Message Subject: Wake Boats and Habitat
North of 8
Posted 6/4/2024 7:35 AM (#1028869 - in reply to #1028867)
Subject: Re: Wake Boats and Habitat

Eh, if you can afford $300,000 for a pontoon boat, guessing gas costs are not a big worry. When I lived in Fond du Lac, knew several engineers who worked at Merc. Would like to hear their thoughts on that giant motor.
gimruis
Posted 6/4/2024 8:13 AM (#1028872 - in reply to #1000406)

I haven't seen a wake boat yet this season here in MN that's actually wake surfing. The water has been too cold. Its not even 70 degrees here yet, even on smaller metro lakes.

I saw one guy water skiing but he was wearing a wet suit. Most people are not willing to "swim" in the water until it reaches a minimum of 70 degrees. Cooler weather and rain every few days has been a blessing. I'm sure that will eventually change.
miket55
Posted 6/4/2024 8:45 AM (#1028876 - in reply to #1000406)

That motor is definitely a different animal..

If money is no object why mount just one? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUAJRv27r-0
North of 8
Posted 6/4/2024 8:55 AM (#1028877 - in reply to #1028876)

miket55 - 6/4/2024 8:45 AM

That motor is definitely a different animal..

If money is no object why mount just one? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUAJRv27r-0

Have seen photos of off shore fishing boats with 3, 4 of them. The engineering of the transom must be something.
Manta18
Posted 6/9/2024 4:38 PM (#1029008 - in reply to #1000406)

My son and I went out fishing yesterday, got on the water a little before 5 and it was a zoo. Trying to get to the first spot I wanted to fish and sure enough here come Captain Johnny in his wake boat with 3 girls and two other young men with him, cruising just fast enough to make 3 foot rollers and right in everyone's way, so I dropped the hammer and went 50 yards off his bow to get around him. Of course I got the 1 finger salute because I was in his way. Then he proceeded to follow me and make waves around the boat when we started to fish. The lake I usually fish on, which was the one last night, has had a few wake boats, but this year it seems like they all gave birth to triplets with retarded drivers. Then, the retarded drivers seemingly invited their cousins, you know, the ones with the 22 foot pontoon, 300 on the back and a sound system you can hear all the way across the 3000 acre lake. Wasn't a spot on the lake we fished where you couldn't hear music coming from a wake boat or a pontoon. When we finally decided to head home, we got to the landing and one of the cousins came in with their pontoon, music cranked. Must have been 8-10 on that ship and all but the driver were so #*^@ drunk they could hardly walk off the dock at the landing. I just drove away shaking my head.
Ranger
Posted 6/9/2024 6:00 PM (#1029014 - in reply to #1000406)

Wake board boat deterrent. You can have one for free.

Edited by Ranger 6/9/2024 6:05 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cannon 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cannon 1.jpg (75KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments bspcs.jfif (127KB - 3 downloads)
Ranger
Posted 6/9/2024 6:06 PM (#1029015 - in reply to #1000406)

That was the prototype. Here's the latest model.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bspcs.jfif (13KB - 40 downloads)
pstrombe
Posted 6/15/2024 10:48 AM (#1029131 - in reply to #1000406)

The Town of Presque Isle had a leadership shakeup las fall after the elections and recently passed an ordinance banning wake boats on all town waters with the exception of Oxbow. It appears special consideration was given to a property owner on that lake. The Town of Winchester has also passed a similar ordinance as shown in the attached picture. It should be noted that neither town has the ability to enforce the two ordinances. Presque Isle disbanded their municipal court some years back and the Sheriffs dept will not enforce the local ordinance.

These ordinances were passed over the objections of the city attorneys as they are not likely to survive a court challenge and represent a significant financial liability to the towns. The ordinances appear to be poorly written.

The Wilderness Alliance has advised their members to take photos of the offending watercraft and turn them over to the town. I suspect this will only lead to on the water conflicts and will not result in any enforcement.

(Wake Boats.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Wake Boats.jpg (85KB - 3 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 6/15/2024 11:04 AM (#1029133 - in reply to #1029131)

Vilas County towns as well as Oneida are considering or have passed ordinances that sound similar. There is a retired attorney who has been helping lead the effort. Enforcement is an issue that keeps getting brought up. Some feel that just posting said ordinance will discourage wake boaters. I think it could end up being a real s*** show.
I know a DNR warden and he said they get calls all the time but has to tell folks that if it is not a state law they cannot enforce the ordinance. Same with property damage, as happens when wake boats come close to shore and damage lake front or wash kayaks and other craft into the water. Guy who lives on a 300 acre lake near me has always stored his kayaks on his dock, couple feet above the water. But last year a visiting wake boat blew them off and he had to go wading to retrieve and search the bottom for the paddles. He claims the wake was at least two feet over his dock when it hit.
sworrall
Posted 6/15/2024 3:17 PM (#1029137 - in reply to #1000406)

ONE wake boat kept my Lund bobbing like a cork from 7 AM until we left the area on Minocqua this morning 2 hours later. Back and forth in Stacks Bay, seemingly unaware of all that other water out there. I came up with a couple of new swear words today.
This thing hit a Violent Strike Lures spinnerbait and literally tried to tear up the inside of the boat while I was trying to get the hooks out. Biggest bowfin I've ever seen, I should have measured it I guess. We had to go to a car wash to swamp out the inside of the boat, my clothes look like I lost a fight, and before getting it back in the water it spattered Sue in the face. She was not impressed..

(448342767_10232870998256656_5005325364565335749_nmm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 448342767_10232870998256656_5005325364565335749_nmm.jpg (88KB - 3 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 6/15/2024 4:12 PM (#1029138 - in reply to #1029137)

Dogfish may be primitive and ugly, but they fight. Grew up catching them on cranberry ditches in central WI. My dad carried a side cutter and cut the hooks rather than try and unhook them.

Edited by North of 8 6/15/2024 4:14 PM
Ranger
Posted 6/15/2024 7:04 PM (#1029141 - in reply to #1029137)

sworrall - 6/15/2024 4:17 PM

ONE wake boat kept my Lund bobbing like a cork from 7 AM until we left the area on Minocqua this morning 2 hours later. Back and forth in Stacks Bay, seemingly unaware of all that other water out there. I came up with a couple of new swear words today.
This thing hit a Violent Strike Lures spinnerbait and literally tried to tear up the inside of the boat while I was trying to get the hooks out. Biggest bowfin I've ever seen, I should have measured it I guess. We had to go to a car wash to swamp out the inside of the boat, my clothes look like I lost a fight, and before getting it back in the water it spattered Sue in the face. She was not impressed..

When I was a 11y/o I sometimes got permission to stay out after bedtime to wade the spring shoreline with a cheapo flashlight and a homemade spear (half a cane pole tipped with a heavy frog gig). Fast forward 20 years and I would simply tie a basket with a couple live bluegill to the end of the pier and walk out every hour or so and shoot at the dogfish nosing the basket with a bow. In between the ticket was to use a trolling motor on a duck boat with a trident attached to the end of one of those extendo aluminum poles used to remove lightbulbs. Speared so many I learned to use a homemade thumper to knock the fish silly and into a plastic tub. In those days a dogfish was useful only to eat the eggs and fry of the fish we wanted to catch. So, it was a catch and kill deal. Wouldn't do it now but boy was that fun back in the day.

Oh, really big dogfish? Hit them hard and try to pin them to the lake bottom. When they get out from under the pressure let go of the spear because I had a 25' piece of light rope tied to the spear and my wrist. Chase the spear. The very biggest often got away, eventually tore out.

Edited by Ranger 6/15/2024 7:29 PM
jdsplasher
Posted 6/16/2024 5:44 AM (#1029144 - in reply to #1029137)

sworrall - 6/15/2024 3:17 PM ONE wake boat kept my Lund bobbing like a cork from 7 AM until we left the area on Minocqua this morning 2 hours later. Back and forth in Stacks Bay, seemingly unaware of all that other water out there. I came up with a couple of new swear words today. This thing hit a Violent Strike Lures spinnerbait and literally tried to tear up the inside of the boat while I was trying to get the hooks out. Biggest bowfin I've ever seen, I should have measured it I guess. We had to go to a car wash to swamp out the inside of the boat, my clothes look like I lost a fight, and before getting it back in the water it spattered Sue in the face. She was not impressed..

Maybe a better alternative would have been to leave the bait in its mouth and cut the line, since the bait probably didn’t cost you much ;)…..or, leave the net in the water, extracting hooks, and the pliers slip and a few gills accidentally attach to the pliers;) ;)….just sayin!

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 6/16/2024 5:46 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/16/2024 9:44 AM (#1029147 - in reply to #1000406)

My guess is that one won't survive. I'd worry about losing that much blood myself.

Abu7000
Posted 6/16/2024 1:39 PM (#1029152 - in reply to #1000406)

There is a pretty good article in this month's In-Fisherman on Dogfish. It brought back of memories of destroyed spinner baits, and some hands that bled more than most encounters with muskies teeth.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)