Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer Swing Tongue

Reply New post
Nicholas Lehnertz
Posted 3/15/2010 3:03 PM (#429014)
Subject: Trailer Swing Tongue

My boat doesn't fit in my new garage, as the trailer tounge sticks out about 6-8 inches or so. Has anyone had any experience with swing tongues? Does anyone know of any metal fabricators that handle things like this? Oh, I have an old K-Dee trailer.
Thanks much.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(5-TrailerSwingTongue.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 5-TrailerSwingTongue.jpg (43KB - 1333 downloads)
Posted 3/15/2010 3:25 PM (#429018 - in reply to #429014)
Subject: RE: Trailer Swing Tongue

personally, i'd hack it off, get another swing away tounge and install it fresh
sworrall
Posted 3/15/2010 3:37 PM (#429020 - in reply to #429014)
Subject: Re: Trailer Swing Tongue

Call Dee Ann at K Dee, maybe they can do that for you. Look in the Lake Mills, WI directory.
Herb_b
Posted 3/15/2010 5:24 PM (#429043 - in reply to #429020)

I have a swing tongue on my trailer and its really nice. Only thing is make sure you carry an extra pin in case if some rich brat comes by and takes yours while your rig is at the landing. Based on my experience, this can and does occasionally happen at some landings (i.e. Minnetonka).

As far as attaching to your trailer, you would need to cut the tongue and then weld on the swing tongue mechanism. I would recommend finding a good blacksmith who knows how to weld. I would also recommend not doing this yourself unless if you're really good with a welder and have all the tools and know-how.

Good luck.

Edited by Herb_b 3/15/2010 5:28 PM
Ryan H
Posted 3/15/2010 10:42 PM (#429133 - in reply to #429014)
Subject: RE: Trailer Swing Tongue

I have a Shore Land'r trailer under my Pro-v and did this. If you loosen the 3 winch bracket bolts and take off the bolt at the "Y" of the trailer you can slide out your current swing tongue. Then measue the distance that you need (it looks like 3-4 inches between the winch bracket and jack and 4-5 inches in front of jack and swing. Cut the back area with the angle with a band saw at the same angle, drill the new hole for the "y" area, paint the new cut and you have a boat that fits the garage.
I cut about 8 inches from my trailer and the swing is now directly below the front tip of my boat.
Hope that this helps,
Ryan
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/16/2010 11:02 AM (#429193 - in reply to #429014)

Just an idea, but you might want to check with your insurance company to make sure you'd be covered in the event something happened after the modification. They might have preferred or certified shops they'd require you to use.
Rogiecrockett
Posted 3/16/2010 8:48 PM (#429290 - in reply to #429014)

Doesn't this also change the weight loading on the trailer? I would think you will need to move the axles relative to the trailer to keep the tongue weight the same. May not be a big difference but I would check it out.

Dave.
Nicholas Lehnertz
Posted 3/16/2010 11:54 PM (#429324 - in reply to #429014)

Thanks for all the tips, guys, great points. By the time I replace the springs (which also needs to be done) re-bunk and re-paint it, I'm thinking it might make more sense to just buy a new trailer. See my new post about experiences with various trailer manufacturers. I'm thinking EZ-Loader or Shoreland'r. Any comments on quality/reliability/value? Oh, I'm running a 16'9" Tuffy Esox. Thanks.
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)