Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> how many baits for a one week trip?

how many baits for a one week trip?
OptionResults
less than 1010 Votes - [6.94%]
10-206 Votes - [4.17%]
20-3014 Votes - [9.72%]
30-407 Votes - [4.86%]
40-505 Votes - [3.47%]
50-6017 Votes - [11.81%]
60-701 Votes - [0.69%]
70-804 Votes - [2.78%]
80-903 Votes - [2.08%]
90-1003 Votes - [2.08%]
100+74 Votes - [51.39%]

Message Subject: how many baits for a one week trip?
esoxaddict
Posted 9/22/2014 11:59 AM (#731307 - in reply to #730722)
Subject: Re: how many baits for a one week trip?

I take all the "A team" lures everywhere I go. I take a box of backups for the A team lures, because God knows if you only have one of them, a pike will wreck it, or you'll whack it on a rock, or a 38"er will bend it up so bad it doesn't run right anymore. I can't think of much worse than being in Canada on Day 2 and now the hot lure is busted, and you don't have another one. Oh, wait, yes I can. The only thing worse than that would be having another one sitting in a box 1,200 miles away.

The rest is all dependent on where I'm going and when. Dark water, muddy water, clear water, pea soup... Different lures. Some lakes have a great topwater bite. Some lakes the fish like bright colors, sometimes it's all black. Sometimes it's just because I have 6 fish on this lure on this end of this lake, and if I fish here, I'm throwing this.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. The more times you fish a lake the more you know what to throw there and the easier it is to look at another similar lake and not have to wonder what to do.

I leave more at home than I usually take. Thankfully I am getting better at knowing what I can leave home.

Edited by esoxaddict 9/22/2014 12:03 PM
FISHFINDER101
Posted 9/22/2014 4:27 PM (#731353 - in reply to #730722)

I to like to bring a lot of lures with me and tend to use around 10, but i do like having multiple colors of the same bait so that takes up some room in the tackle box. Especially different color blades on my bucktails. yesterday was a perfect example of this, I had a really hot firetiger spinner bait that's been out producing everyone in my boat the past month, caught a mid 30's yesterday and really bent it up and i ended up snapping a wire trying to bend it back. So i put on a bucktail i've had in my tackle box that i've never used in 2 years and 5 minutes later lost what looked to be a new PB for me on the river. Only lure of the day that i didnt put the file too! Stupid mistake!!!! So it goes to show, the lure that hardly gets used could be the one they want.
Travis A.
Posted 9/22/2014 5:01 PM (#731359 - in reply to #730722)

You always have a good idea of what should work or has worked at that time of year in the past but you never know what conditions you might get dealt. I mainly fish a reservoir and the water level could be down 15' so that puts all the weedbeds and a lot of the rock structure up on the bank. So very quickly you can think you're going to throw bucktails and jerkbaits but end up working plastics deep or trolling. Then there's been those times when the "I'll never throw that lure" lure has saved the day. Depends on the destination also. Mille Lacs in November I'll only bring plastics and cranks and leave most of the other stuff at home. Other desinations or times of the year I'll bring everything. Our first April trip on one particular lake I only need to bring a suick.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 9/23/2014 9:53 AM (#731470 - in reply to #730722)

All my baits are always in my boat
lurenut
Posted 9/23/2014 12:21 PM (#731499 - in reply to #730722)
Subject: RE: how many baits for a one week trip?

Most of the time fisherman don't give lures enough time to become effective. If you have confidence in certain lures you will throw it more often. Iam not saying you should not try different baits on a good area and work it hard. But iam strong believer that boat partners should not start the day off throwing the same baits. Unless you know the fish are hot on a pattern. Trying out every bait you own in a day is just crazy. Building confidence in a few good lures is much smarter. Not to say I have not collected my share of lures in the last 45 years. they mostly are hung up in my garage. TOO many guys are into owning hundreds of baits.
BNelson
Posted 9/23/2014 2:29 PM (#731516 - in reply to #731499)

being a former bait addict I'd agree, let's be honest, most musky fishermen on this site probably catch 15-30 muskies a season..ok so if you have 300 baits, a very large percentage don't catch a fish for an entire season..... heck a majority of most guys lures have never caught a fish....I still love baits, don't get me wrong, but the more experienced you get, you'll realize it is more about the where and when, then what... I use to have 20 some Hughes Rivers.. yah, I think I caught one fish on those... Less can equal more ... when I jump in a friends boat often times I take 2 rods, with a lure on each, I don't need to MuskyBoy anyone these days! l o l.

Edited by BNelson 9/23/2014 2:31 PM
southern comfort
Posted 9/24/2014 6:26 AM (#731584 - in reply to #730722)

There is a difference between bringing a certain collection of 100 plus baits on a one week trip versus what you use on a particular day of the trip. The question was how many baits to bring for a one week trip ... I would guess those of us who bring a large collection for the week still focus on a small number each day. Having options during the week doesn't mean you are trying out every bait you own each day.
Angler II
Posted 9/24/2014 1:15 PM (#731643 - in reply to #730722)

before every long trip i typically organize all of my baits for the conditions, water temps, clarity etc...I take about 50 along. Maybe use 10 the whole time and spend most of my efforts throwing 2-3 specifically.
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/24/2014 3:43 PM (#731663 - in reply to #730722)

100+ baits easily make my yearly trip to LOTW. 10 or less actually get wet.
MuskyMidget
Posted 9/24/2014 3:52 PM (#731666 - in reply to #730722)

My buddy spent a month on LOTW this past summer. Some time was spent walleye fishing with the family though. I would say about 2/3 of the time was spent musky fishing seriously. Every musky he caught in that month was on the same bait. I was there with him for his last week and he caught 11 muskies over 40 inches that week. Granted, he threw that bait 90% of the time, but why switch if you have confidence in it. Like Bill Sandy says, "a lot of times I tie on a bucktail and fish it until it falls apart. It's not necessarily the bait you throw, it's how you work the bait."

When guys say, oh it was a fire tiger Suick pattern on LOTW last week. We couldn't get them to eat anything but fire tiger Suicks. I just laugh to myself. They just so happened to be throwing fire tiger Suicks during the feeding window. Can pretty much guarantee if they were throwing a buck tail in the same feeding window they would've caught fish too.

The guy in the front of the boat could be throwing a hotdog with hooks and he's going to catch/see fish during those windows.

With the high water this year on LOTW the feeding windows were more apparent to us than in previous years. We would go 4 hours without seeing a fish and then see 7 fish and catch 2 in a 20 minute span on one spot that didn't seem to be anything special. It was a crazy year!
bobbie
Posted 9/24/2014 6:50 PM (#731686 - in reply to #731058)

Top H2O - 9/20/2014 2:20 PM

Top H2O - 9/18/2014 10:42 PM

100 plus baits.....Really ?
No wonder you guys don't Catch any muskies !
That's Pathetic....... And it's grounds for getting thrown out of the Boat /// There's got to be a Man Rule for that.

Ok, I'm Busted...And I was just kidding....(I didn't get the Rise out of some of you guys that I thought I would)
Seriously, I probably have around 300 lures and since I fish alone a lot I'd bet there are at least 80-100 in my boat at any given time....But with that said, I would imagine I've used maybe 20-30 of those 100 Lures in the last 2 yrs of fishing.

Now Feel free to throw me out of the Boat.... Ha,haha

this guy has 100 on the floor and 25 hookouts laying around ( no waiting)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)