Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Avet Reels

Message Subject: Avet Reels
brianT
Posted 1/10/2014 8:53 AM (#683750)
Subject: Avet Reels

I am looking for a left handed reel for burning big blades and throwing big rubber. I am taking a good look at the Avet SX. I'd like to hear some feedback from guys that are using these reels. I'm on the fence between the one and two speed but I'm having a hard time finding a two speed MC Lefty on the market. I like the idea of a two speed for burning and also slow rolling blades. The one speed reel to me just seems like a one trick pony. Also, is anyone using the SXJ? I'm thinking without the levelwind, the smaller compact SXJ would be easier to wind in baits but might be harder to palm? It's tough being a lefty......
gopackgo
Posted 1/10/2014 9:19 AM (#683755 - in reply to #683750)
Subject: Re: Avet Reels

Another lefty here, and one who owns an Avet SX Raptor. It's a two speed, higher end version of the Avet 2 speed MC and I LOVE IT! You can get one on Amazon for about the same as the 2-speed MC, but it's a much better reel -- auto stop to make sure you don't over-drag and blow out your reel, better gearing system, longer power handle. Just an awesome reel. Whatever you choose, make sure it has the MC (master cast) -- you can literally cast and let your lure land in the water without having to stop it your self and you still won't get a backlash. Also, the 2 speed is really a great deal -- it is really 2 reels in one. In the lower speed, it reels in big blades like butter, but is not too slow (faster than a winch). In the high speed, you can rip big rubber and pick up slack incredibly fast or burn big blades with little resistance. I can't say enough about this reel and wouldn't give up mine for anything!
Zinox
Posted 1/10/2014 9:27 AM (#683758 - in reply to #683750)

Love my SX raptor as well :D
cast4musky
Posted 1/10/2014 9:32 AM (#683762 - in reply to #683750)

Brian I know what you're saying it's hard finding a lefty reel for the application you want it for. I was in the same boat, I did purchase two different types of Avet reels and tried them but sold them a few weeks later as I could not get used to the non level wind type reels. I had to keep a lot less braid on my spool almost half of what I normally would have had on just for casting purposes,and I had to switch braids and get the ones designed for these type reels Flat/Round........ I just thought that less line on the spools defeated the whole purpose of bringing in more line per turn. I also had high spots on my reel and had to always be aware of how my line was laying on the reel...If I was saltwater fishing, fishing wrecks and dropping straight down it would be great ...I'm sure there are many Guys who love these reels, but they were just not for me.......This is just my Opinion too much thinking for me lol Mike

NEVER TRIED THE SX raptor It sounds like this may be what your after but still no level wind and about $389
gopackgo
Posted 1/10/2014 9:52 AM (#683767 - in reply to #683750)

I got mine for $354 on Amazon!
detroithardcore
Posted 1/10/2014 2:44 PM (#683816 - in reply to #683750)
Subject: RE: Avet Reels

I have a Avet MXJ Left hand with Magic Cast 6/4 2 speed reel I've used maybe twice. I'm considering selling it if interested. The MXJ has a narrow spool so it's easier to palm and burns in 41" per crank in High Speed and 25" per crank in Low Speed. 14# max drag as well. Let me know if interested....
Mnmuskyman
Posted 1/10/2014 2:58 PM (#683820 - in reply to #683767)

Look at the new daiwa lexa 400's. I played with these last week. Nice looking reel with a great price point. They make them in lefty in three different speeds!
brianT
Posted 1/11/2014 5:51 AM (#683900 - in reply to #683750)

Too bad you sold them Mike that would have been my ticket to try one out before I take the plundge!
cast4musky
Posted 1/11/2014 7:26 AM (#683907 - in reply to #683750)

Hey Brian I Know I which I Knew you were looking for one, although I would have honestly told you I don't think these reels were what you're looking for. Maybe the Raptor is a better design? Can you fill the spool? does it require flat Braid?Anti Reverse? Google Time. Later Mike
Landry
Posted 1/11/2014 4:22 PM (#683983 - in reply to #683750)

I have the sx mc. I don't think u need the two speed. This reel is small and comfy and cranks in double tens fast and easily.
I see this reel as a one trick pony and that is just fine - it's a bucktail reel. I would never use it for other baits as I have better reels for those applications. And it is not a great rubber reel btw as it does not have instant anti reverse.
brianT
Posted 1/11/2014 6:53 PM (#684014 - in reply to #683750)

Oh wow didn't know about the non instant reverse. Mike just curious, who did you sell them to? Anyone local?
cast4musky
Posted 1/11/2014 9:12 PM (#684042 - in reply to #683750)

Can't remember one sold on here went to Canada CU ????? and one to Wisconsin (Ebay) but I can not remember the names. Sorry
CU301DSV
Posted 1/11/2014 9:35 PM (#684051 - in reply to #683750)

^^ Not me, bought my Avet from Titan. Very little use, have posted it for sale a few times here on MuskiesFirst and elsewhere. Might just keep it?
bigroo
Posted 1/20/2014 6:28 PM (#685977 - in reply to #683750)

I almost bought the lefty avets from Mike but changed my mind after talking to him.
BTW Mike is great to deal with, I've bought several leftys from him in the past year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)